Freedom Review w/Pics: 4/3-4/10/2011, some good, some bad, some meh.

We LOVED the ship and the cruise director. However, we were very disappointed in the food, mainly from the MDR.

The service was poor to our surprise. It seemed as if we were always the last to be served even when we specifically told our waiter we had small children and needed to eat quickly. Oh well, we learned our lesson after three meals and bid adios for the remainder of the cruise.

We went to Chops our last night. Let me just say, that is what I was expecting all of the food to be like. It was wonderful. I hate that there is a $25 per person charge, but all in all it is worth it.

We really enjoyed the cruise minus all of the food. It doesn't compare to Disney at all but the ship makes up for it. You will be ready to eat a good meal once your vacation is over but you'll miss the wonderful views and long for more.

Just wondering if you brought the poor/lack of service to the attention of your head waiter or the matre'd? They are responsible for what happened to you but if they were not aware then that is why it didn't get better. Sorry about your poor dining experience.

My daughter (with 4 children) was on this cruise and said the first night service was a little slow, but she asked the waiter if they could speed it up and they were out of there faster from that night on. They were very happy with the service and the food.

I feel very much the same...Just because we were in JS's that didn't stop me from at least trying, and my preplanning forsight paid off.. After all we were celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary and cruising with our adult children...

We have stayed in GS's and RFS's a few times but still prefer a JS, our favorite is of course AFT #1100 on the Radiance & Jewel..

I think you are spot on with your prediction for more cabanas in Labadee..

Best of luck to those non-suite cruisers that take the initiative and request to be placed on a waitlist...If you are lucky enough to get a cabana..you'll agree..it was worth the try..;):D

:):)

Great write up!! I thoroughly enjoyed reading through it all. Really liked your honesty throughout the review and you weren't hesitant to criticize. I've only cruised on Carnival, so this is our first venture outside into the world of RCCL and it's nice to see what to expect on our cruise. Even if some stuff keeps reappearing in review threads, I won't make my judgements until after we've sailed.

I'm looking forward to my cruise on Freedom on June 19th!!

Thanks again,

Ryan

No reservations needed. All you do is take a cab to Hilton Rose Hall (there are several cabs/vans of all types and price ranges at the pier), go to the Concierge Desk, pay your money, they hold your ID, they give you wristbands and towel cards and you are on your way. At the end of the day, return the towels, take the towel cards back to the Concierge, get your ID, ad go back to the ship. The price includes all the food/drinks you can stand plus use of the grounds and waterpark. The cabana was $30 extra, totally worth it it.:D

None of this was done in advance. :)

Thanks for posting this thread. It is a terrific review of your cruise. We were on Freedom of the Seas in March prior to the drydock improvements. I had absolutely no problems with the food so I wonder if it was a change in staff or menu as other posters have stated. I researched on things to do in the new Falmouth port and we also decided to go to the all-inclusive Hilton Rose Hall. We booked it in advance through jamaicaforaday.com $75 for adults and $55 children (ages 4-17). The deposit was $20 per person and they also offered Round Trip taxi service for an additional $15 per person. We did this option since we figured it would be tough to find a taxi to take us to the Hilton for less than $15/pp each way. They also offer a group discount for groups larger than 16 people. They email you your resort confirmation within a day of payment and you must show this page to the driver with the Jamaica for a day sign in the parking lot.

You let the resort know what time you would like to go back to the cruise ship after you check in at the Rose Hall. Then you can relax and enjoy the beach, waterslides, alcoholic drinks, and food all included. :D You get a slip of paper at check-in that has a list of things that are and are not included. I recall that motorized watersports (jet ski) and premium alcoholic liquors were not included. I thought the alcoholic drinks were VERY strong but good. I had a couple mixed drinks and then promptly switched to beers.

DH and I spent most of our time on the lazy river and would swim up to the bar occassionally to get drinks. ;) We also had a great time testing out the waterslides and walking along the beach. The chair hogs were all over the place when we visited and we spent 40 minutes looking for a place to put down our towels. Perhaps it was prime spring break time when we went. I would have reserved a cabana had I known the option existed.

We liked that everything was taken care of in advance. We didn't have any added expenses and had a great time. The food was great and the service and alcoholic drinks were worth the price. The only negative we experienced that they did not have lockers to safely secure our items while we were at the resort. We left our things on the beach chairs like so many other people there at the Hilton Rose Hall and had no problems.

Great write up!! I thoroughly enjoyed reading through it all. Really liked your honesty throughout the review and you weren't hesitant to criticize. I've only cruised on Carnival, so this is our first venture outside into the world of RCCL and it's nice to see what to expect on our cruise. Even if some stuff keeps reappearing in review threads, I won't make my judgements until after we've sailed.

Thanks again,

Ryan

Yeah, I'm not a full-time cheerleader like some folks around here. If it's good I'll cheer, but likewise if it's bad, I'll boo!:D

And I'm pretty sure that someday my headstone will read: Here lies Tracey, she "wasn't hesitant to criticize".:p

the DH and I are booked on Freedom in November, same itenerary...I look forward to seeing this ship after sailing on the Radiance last fall.

Can you answer some questions about Labadee? I was wondering how the meals were on the island? Do you have to pay extra for food and beverages [the usual lemonade,etc...I know others would be charged just like on the ship] here or is it included since they own the island? I wasn't sure about that...

We also booked an aft cabin hoping for a 'smoother ride' as my husband was convinced of this by the cruise agent we booked with...we've always had a mid ship/hump room which was fabulous, so I can't imagine any better on the back side?

Thanks for posting this thread. It is a terrific review of your cruise. We were on Freedom of the Seas in March prior to the drydock improvements. I had absolutely no problems with the food so I wonder if it was a change in staff or menu as other posters have stated. I researched on things to do in the new Falmouth port and we also decided to go to the all-inclusive Hilton Rose Hall. We booked it in advance through jamaicaforaday.com $75 for adults and $55 children (ages 4-17). The deposit was $20 per person and they also offered Round Trip taxi service for an additional $15 per person. We did this option since we figured it would be tough to find a taxi to take us to the Hilton for less than $15/pp each way. They also offer a group discount for groups larger than 16 people. They email you your resort confirmation within a day of payment and you must show this page to the driver with the Jamaica for a day sign in the parking lot.

You let the resort know what time you would like to go back to the cruise ship after you check in at the Rose Hall. Then you can relax and enjoy the beach, waterslides, alcoholic drinks, and food all included. :D You get a slip of paper at check-in that has a list of things that are and are not included. I recall that motorized watersports (jet ski) and premium alcoholic liquors were not included. I thought the alcoholic drinks were VERY strong but good. I had a couple mixed drinks and then promptly switched to beers.

DH and I spent most of our time on the lazy river and would swim up to the bar occassionally to get drinks. ;) We also had a great time testing out the waterslides and walking along the beach. The chair hogs were all over the place when we visited and we spent 40 minutes looking for a place to put down our towels. Perhaps it was prime spring break time when we went. I would have reserved a cabana had I known the option existed.

We liked that everything was taken care of in advance. We didn't have any added expenses and had a great time. The food was great and the service and alcoholic drinks were worth the price. The only negative we experienced that they did not have lockers to safely secure our items while we were at the resort. We left our things on the beach chairs like so many other people there at the Hilton Rose Hall and had no problems.

Nice to hear about another positive experience at Rose Hall, LOVE IT!!!:)

Okay, I was hoping for a picture of the outdoor movie screen but I was also interested in the changes to the Vintages Wine Bar and the new navigation system that replaced the old cut out ship with the "you are here" dots.

We were b2b on same cruise and then eastern. I can honestly say that I never saw more than a couple of folk in vintages the whole time on the ship! The screen at poolside is good but I would say under used meantime as repeats lots of images/quiz questions and then did show some of the masters golf! Cupcake cupboard is nice, classes fair - not that exciting but my kids enjoyed! Characters low profile I thought which was good lol but king thingy did come to the kids club and play some games with the kids there. I liked the way they just wandered up and down the promenade and all that wanted pics seemed to get!

Never noticed the new navigation system?

The 3D screen was operating in the second week of our cruise which seemed popular with passengers but we never had time!

We were b2b on same cruise and then eastern. I can honestly say that I never saw more than a couple of folk in vintages the whole time on the ship! The screen at poolside is good but I would say under used meantime as repeats lots of images/quiz questions and then did show some of the masters golf! Cupcake cupboard is nice, classes fair - not that exciting but my kids enjoyed! Characters low profile I thought which was good lol but king thingy did come to the kids club and play some games with the kids there. I liked the way they just wandered up and down the promenade and all that wanted pics seemed to get!

Never noticed the new navigation system?

The 3D screen was operating in the second week of our cruise which seemed popular with passengers but we never had time!

Also forgot to add that we thought the food was much better this year than last Easter! Couple of nights in the dining room where we were not sure what to have as strange mix lol but when we got the meal it was always lovely. We really prefer carnivals food but this year felt that freedom was much better. Try the curries, they are awesome!

That's so funny. My family hit up the Outback in the Orlando Airport on our way back home from our sailing last week. We typically do Disney cruises but decided to book the RCI for this last trip. We LOVED the ship and the cruise director. However, we were very disappointed in the food, mainly from the MDR.

The service was poor to our surprise. It seemed as if we were always the last to be served even when we specifically told our waiter we had small children and needed to eat quickly. Oh well, we learned our lesson after three meals and bid adios for the remainder of the cruise.

We went to Chops our last night. Let me just say, that is what I was expecting all of the food to be like. It was wonderful. I hate that there is a $25 per person charge, but all in all it is worth it.

We agree with cello and really had excellent service and food in the dr. We are also not foodies but like good food and were never disappointed. The dining room was full every night all round us and the my time dining also appeared popular with lines at peak times apparent.

Sometimes reading this site makes you think that all is bad. It's very easy to be critical which is allowed but bear in mid over 4000 passengers and only a few tuen up at the m&m so cruise critic only represents a few!! We pay over £700 in flights and about £650 pp for our cruise (per week) and were not disappointed by anything!!

We went river tubing in Jamaica and it was great, can't remember the ship being late in leaving??? But it takes about an hour of Jamaican driving to get to ochos rios for the excursion!

Thanks again,

Ryan

I sail on the FOS May 1st and this will be my first RCL cruise. The food issue has me a bit concerned but I will reserve judgement until I taste it for myself. I have never had a problem on Carnival so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

the DH and I are booked on Freedom in November, same itenerary...I look forward to seeing this ship after sailing on the Radiance last fall.

Can you answer some questions about Labadee? I was wondering how the meals were on the island? Do you have to pay extra for food and beverages [the usual lemonade,etc...I know others would be charged just like on the ship] here or is it included since they own the island? I wasn't sure about that...

We also booked an aft cabin hoping for a 'smoother ride' as my husband was convinced of this by the cruise agent we booked with...we've always had a mid ship/hump room which was fabulous, so I can't imagine any better on the back side?

!. The BBQ lunch is free, where we were in the Beach Club/Cabana area we had our own seperate BBQ right there (others have to walk to the central food area). They served, burgers, hot dogs, steaks, salads and fruit/desert. It was ok,not great.

2.They had free fruit punch (no booze in it), other drinks for money unless you had a soda card. A full bar too, for money as well.

3.The Aft was only bumpy that one nignt, but that one night it was equally bumpy everywhere. Besided that, the ride was pretty smooth.

Hope this covers it all. Have fun!:)

I sail on the FOS May 1st and this will be my first RCL cruise. The food issue has me a bit concerned but I will reserve judgement until I taste it for myself. I have never had a problem on Carnival so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

As I said, the food was pretty bad, but if I had to do it over I'd still book this cruise. However, I might not book it again. We shall see.:)

YummyYummy99, in two weeks you never used the new navigation screens?

Hi! Oh I didn't know that was what you were meaning! Lol! Brain not back to UK time yet! Yes we did use them and they are well used! Bit like I pads on steroids! We found it quite handy to check the compass/what's on but we knew our way sound the ship pretty well (well having 2 kids means they always seem to know where they are!)!

I don't think anyone could be disappoints on freedom :-D. Btw our mdr service was fab both weeks :D

Cozumel: Just so you know, not a fan....

We didn't get off in Cozumel, instead used it as a ship day, and we had the ship to ourselves. I've been to Cozumel 3 times, and since I live in Los Angeles, going to Mexico is not a big thing to me. So sorry to say, no pics other than those from our balcony, like this one.

217728_10150169041428113_682718112_6777796_7091935_n.jpg

I will be on freedom next week on this itinerary and wondering if you remember which pier you were at in cozumel?

I will be on freedom next week on this itinerary and wondering if you remember which pier you were at in cozumel?

I don't know a name or number, but I can tell you that our pier was way closer than the Carnival pier, which was way out there with a long walk back.

We were pretty close, and this stupid local ferry boat kept zooming in and out and blowing its very loud horn. Since we had an aft cabin, the ferry was like less than 25 feet from our balcony.:eek:

Hope that helps, sorry I don't know the exact pier info.

Archived