Which are the best Juneau trails for hiking

countdown2010

I want to do some hiking while in Juneau for the day. Which trails do you recommend. I'm looking for hikes that will take me to places I wouldn't be able to see without hiking there (ie: waterfalls, lakes, closer to the glacier). How close can you hike to the glacier when you hike the trails around the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center? Thanks for any help. All opinions are greatly appreciated. I'm thinking about hiking that is of moderate difficulty (just nothing that is too difficult and slow moving). We will have a car.

I always try to search previous posts to find my answers, but I was at a loss for finding the best trails to go on.

Thank you everyone for all the great posts about everything needed to know about Alaska. I feel much more prepared for our first Alaska cruise after spending so many hours reading this board.

Erin

Here’s a link to trails around Mendenhall Glacier. We have done the East Glacier Loop that was a nice little hike but it’s in the trees for the most part and a bit uneventful. We are going to do the West Glacier Trail in July this year that looks like a little more fun and appears to give some fantastic views from above the glacier. Here’s a link to a good post with photos on it.

Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center Trails

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/trails.html

West Glacier Trail post

http://www.panamintcity.com/alaska/westglacier.html

I should mention too that you will always need to be bear aware. If you haven't in the past, know what to do when you encounter them.

our ship is in Juneau on May 25th from 630a to 4p. Is it possible to do this trail given these parameters. We would need to get back in board no latter than 330p?

I’ve not hiked this trail but will be doing it this summer. The forest service information indicates about 5 hours. You’d have time but would need to have things planned out with your transportation.

I didn’t suggest this trail for access to the glacier but just to hike the trail itself. I wouldn’t hike on the glacier without a guide.

Archived