MDR dress code for children

:cool:Because I'm old fashioned and believe that a Formal Night in the MDR should be something special, and if RCCL states "NO SHORTS IN MDR FOR DINNER", I believe that that is the way it should be. If everyone showed up in shorts, t-shirts, tanktops, sandlals, it would not be quite as special:cool:

Perhaps it is time you relaxed a bit and allowed changing fashions to happen.

I guess you will go up to a mother with a new born child and ask her to put a tux on her baby?

Lads will walk around the ship showing their boxer shorts, as that is the current fashion - times move on I'm afraid.

You might be happier on a 5 star cruiseline rather than RCCL.

Last carnival cruise there were adult men in shorts and sandals in the dining room at dinner.

But thats carnivals way.

I have been on both. My last royal cruise there were ball caps being worn in the MDR at dinner. By the way Carnival dropped formal night to elegant because most people prefer casual over some pretend 2 star dinner being prom night.;)

:cool:I just point out shorts in MDR at dinner time to my head waiter and then save $20.00 each cruise when I tell him that he is not doing his job:cool:

Oh yes, that'll show em' :cool:

In case you're not aware the Head waiters job is to supervise the waiters and to ensure that the dinner is running smoothly, not caring what people are wearing. It's all about keeping the passengers happy so wearing shorts is now an acceptable attire.

If the rules are "No Shorts" then we want to follow the rules. Otherwise, we let our young son know that it is ok to break rules. I will take chino type pants for him and a dress shirt. He has a tie too.

They encourage you to come to dinner any way you feel comfortable.

If the rules are "No Shorts" then we want to follow the rules. Otherwise, we let our young son know that it is ok to break rules. I will take chino type pants for him and a dress shirt. He has a tie too.

What they are trying to prevent are people turning up to dinner in swimming trunks and swim-shorts & short shorts worn typically at say soccer matches.

Shorts will be fine - don't worry.

What they are trying to prevent are people turning up to dinner in swimming trunks and swim-shorts & short shorts worn typically at say soccer matches.

So from your posts I take it you are working for RCI nad probably in the department being responsible for the rules.

If the wording of the rule needs someone to explain what is meant I´d say the rule is worded wrong. So if they think shorts are acceptable just no swim shorts and short shorts, why not say so?:confused:

You are right about times are changing and I´m not going to the point of what I think about it, but I say if the times change and things that used to be not acceptable are acceptable now then it´s time to change the rules.

If RCI thinks all this is acceptable now - change the wording of the rules, or eliminate the rules entirely. However as long as the rules and signs are out there they need to be enforced. Nothing is worse than putting out signs and rules and then don´t care about them being followed or not. IMO.

Paulxy.......I think the last paragraph of your post hit the nail on the head. RCCL is sending mixed messages. Many of us were brought up with the belief that "rules" were to be adhered to and reasonable "requests" were honored out of courtesy. Take a stand, RCCL !!!!!:confused:

:cool:Because I'm old fashioned and believe that a Formal Night in the MDR should be something special, and if RCCL states "NO SHORTS IN MDR FOR DINNER", I believe that that is the way it should be. If everyone showed up in shorts, t-shirts, tanktops, sandlals, it would not be quite as special:cool:

I would agree with this sentiment if RCI felt the same way about the food it serves on "formal night." If the host doesn't ry to make it "special" with decent food, why should the guests?

The ever present question, why do YOU care what someone else is wearing?

Good question. There are far too many busybodies worrying about everyone else. BUT they only exist on these boards. We never have seemed to have found them on the ships. Their "Clothes Police" badges must get confiscated when they go though the metal detectors!!:D

If every one did that, we'd be on carnival.

Having cruised on both lines, most recently on RCI, I do not get the CCl bashing. I saw no difference in the behavior, dress and general demeanor of the RCI cruisers vs. the CCL cruisers. Both had the occasional rude idiots, drunken morons, and under dressed MDR patrons. None of it botered me though, because that is the fun of cruising: people watching and wondering what the heck they are thinking.

If anyone thinks that RCI is a "classier" line, think again.

Is that what you saw on your last Carnival cruise? Rather doubtful. My guess....Another completely uneducated statement.

I have to agree with this. We were only on one Carnival cruise and it was over the winter holidays - but - the night before "Elegant" night, the Maitre D actually made an announcement :eek: of what he will NOT allow in the MDR and he asked for everyone to dress appropriately. I have never seen this announced on any other ship. [other then the woman body-builder dressed in her Fredricks of Hollywood Santa ensemble toting her toddlers and DH along, everyone looked divine!!]

Oh - and as for the post suggesting the OP take shorts along to the MDR for her 10yo son, then she is left STILL having to go back to her cabin to drop off the pants - unless she plans on toting them around all night. So, what is the point in that?

I have to agree with this. We were only on one Carnival cruise and it was over the winter holidays - but - the night before "Elegant" night, the Maitre D actually made an announcement :eek: of what he will NOT allow in the MDR and he asked for everyone to dress appropriately. I have never seen this announced on any other ship. [other then the woman body-builder dressed in her Fredricks of Hollywood Santa ensemble toting her toddlers and DH along, everyone looked divine!!]

Oh - and as for the post suggesting the OP take shorts along to the MDR for her 10yo son, then she is left STILL having to go back to her cabin to drop off the pants - unless she plans on toting them around all night. So, what is the point in that?

The point is she can go back to the dining room more quickly to finish her dinner and can then go to her cabin when it is convenient for her, quickly open the door and toss the pants inside and she is on her way again. It gives her more leeway to do what she wants to do in a somewhat more convenient time frame. The main point of my post was that I was trying to be helpful which is obviously not your forte.:rolleyes:

Are we talking for formal night or on regular nights? For formal night, I can understand about not having shorts or anything less than "formal" in the MDR. We stayed away from the MDR on formal night on our last cruise, and ate at the buffet instead. (Which was coincidentally on Carnival and :eek: OMG people actually were dress properly for formal night!)

But for real people, during a "regular" night? No shorts in the MDR? What kind of upscale establishment are we trying to believe RCL is? If I go wearing a pair of khaki capris, strap sandals (not flip flops) and a button up shirt....I'm breaking some sort of dinner attire rule?

I can see limiting: no swimsuits, holey ripped shorts, etc (heck, according to your policy I can wear pants with tons of holes in them before I can wear shorts)......

I'm going to a TROPICAL location, where I'm going to be wearing tropical clothing, and you better believe that is going to include shorts in the MDR on non-formal nights! Sheesh :rolleyes:

Ummm, maybe it is just me but did I miss the rule that the child MUST wear shorts to AO? Can't he wear the slacks or khakis that he wore to dinner to AO? Since it is after dinner, I don't imagine he will be there for hours and hours, will he? I doubt he will be in a tux anyway, since you are asking about shorts (and I am assuming you are asking about a regular dinner night- not formal), so put him in some confortable khakis and he will be fine in both places.

The original poster, saying that she knows that it is frowned upon, wants to know if she can have her son wear short in the MDR at dinner. Then, THE ONE, and there is always ONE who says--Do what you want. LOVE IT. :cool:

Actually, with all due respect, that is not what the OP said. I am the OP. I ASKED if it would be frowned upon.

I was asking if shorts would be frowned upon for the nights that are considered to be "casual". We have purchased a suit and a dinner jacket/dress pants for him to wear on the formal and business casual nights.

As far as the dress code goes, the only thing I located, specifically refers to the suggested guidelines for casual dress as "sport shirts and slacks for MEN". This was found in the "What to know before you go" section on the RCL website. Even with considerable searching, I still haven't found anywhere that indicates that shorts are not permitted in the MDR. I am sure that you folks are correct in what you are saying, I am simply trying to point out that the "rules" for what to wear to dinner don't seem to be as "cut and dry" as some folks on here would like to believe. Based off of what I read, I didn't think it seemed like an unusual question to ask if shorts would be frowned upon for BOYS. Not that it matters, but I was referring to khaki dress shorts, not nylon shorts or swim trunks or anything of that sort.

And, Rala, I still appreciate your suggestion. I am a mom to 4 kids and I carry a purse the size of a freakin suitcase everywhere I go. I can easily toss my son's dress pants in there until I am near our state room to toss them in there!;)

Patty421, look for us on the ship. I'll be the mom with 4 kids, a luggage sized purse, and a son who ISN'T wearing shorts in the MDR!;) Sounds like we may have kids in the same Adventure Ocean group

Actually, with all due respect, that is not what the OP said. I am the OP. I ASKED if it would be frowned upon.

I was asking if shorts would be frowned upon for the nights that are considered to be "casual". We have purchased a suit and a dinner jacket/dress pants for him to wear on the formal and business casual nights.

As far as the dress code goes, the only thing I located, specifically refers to the suggested guidelines for casual dress as "sport shirts and slacks for MEN". This was found in the "What to know before you go" section on the RCL website. Even with considerable searching, I still haven't found anywhere that indicates that shorts are not permitted in the MDR. I am sure that you folks are correct in what you are saying, I am simply trying to point out that the "rules" for what to wear to dinner don't seem to be as "cut and dry" as some folks on here would like to believe. Based off of what I read, I didn't think it seemed like an unusual question to ask if shorts would be frowned upon for BOYS. Not that it matters, but I was referring to khaki dress shorts, not nylon shorts or swim trunks or anything of that sort.

And, Rala, I still appreciate your suggestion. I am a mom to 4 kids and I carry a purse the size of a freakin suitcase everywhere I go. I can easily toss my son's dress pants in there until I am near our state room to toss them in there!;)

Patty421, look for us on the ship. I'll be the mom with 4 kids, a luggage sized purse, and a son who ISN'T wearing shorts in the MDR!;) Sounds like we may have kids in the same Adventure Ocean group

So excited! 2 weeks to go! 4 kids, wow! I 'll be the mom with a baby trying to crawl around everywhere!

I just convinced my teenager to go on our cruise. I am not going to totally police the way he dresses the whole time. He has a nice suit(that we bought him for prom) he will wear that on the two formal nights the other nights he will wear jeans and a shirt. He will be clean and neat no holes or rips new clothes, but his kind of clothes. I am not going to buy him special clothes that he will never wear again and that he will be miserable wearing...we are doing the MTD so we will be sitting with just us and my folks anyway:)

TARA.......thanks for the words of support! I kind of figured that because you liked my suggestion, you already had thought about what to do with the long pants. You sound like a mom who has got it together! Have a wonderful cruise!:D

I just convinced my teenager to go on our cruise. I am not going to totally police the way he dresses the whole time. He has a nice suit(that we bought him for prom) he will wear that on the two formal nights the other nights he will wear jeans and a shirt. He will be clean and neat no holes or rips new clothes, but his kind of clothes. I am not going to buy him special clothes that he will never wear again and that he will be miserable wearing...we are doing the MTD so we will be sitting with just us and my folks anyway:)

You had to "convince" your teenager to go on a cruise? I'm trying to figure out how to convince my teenagers NOT to go with us! LOL.

The point is she can go back to the dining room more quickly to finish her dinner and can then go to her cabin when it is convenient for her, quickly open the door and toss the pants inside and she is on her way again. It gives her more leeway to do what she wants to do in a somewhat more convenient time frame. The main point of my post was that I was trying to be helpful which is obviously not your forte.:rolleyes:

Thats obviously not true, lol.

Anyway, only a 10yo was mentioned and to be honest, I would have never thought that the OP (as she later mentioned) would be carrying around a large enough bag to dinner. I have never noticed anyone in the mdr with a larger sized bag unless it was on a carriage. I really wouldnt be so presumptious about others. :cool:

And, apologies to the OP if my post wasnt explained well. If it saves time, if AO comes to get the 10yo's, which on some nights they do, if you'd have a bag anyway, it makes a lot of sense [now with other facts].

I asked the dining room what the correct policy is on shorts (liberty) and shorts are fine on any night except the formal night.

The wording apparently is to discourage short shorts.

Long shorts (ie knee length are fine).

• 2 weeks later...
I have been on both. My last royal cruise there were ball caps being worn in the MDR at dinner. By the way Carnival dropped formal night to elegant because most people prefer casual over some pretend 2 star dinner being prom night.;)

I have my doubts that you have ever cruised on Royal Caribbean. After you made this statement.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=28832042&postcount=82

Anyone that thinks Royal Caribbean is low class has never stepped foot on one of the Royal ships. I guess some peoples screen names do fit their personality.:)

Archived