Solstice - 4/3 Review

22Vines

Review – Solstice April 3 April 11- Eastern Caribbean. My wife and I and our two kids (11 and 16). This was our 8th cruise and 1st with Celebrity.

Itinerary - Ft Lauderdale – Sea – San Juan – St Thomas – St Martin - Sea – Sea – Ft Lauderdale.

Arrival – We took a red eye flight from Seattle on Sat and arrived perfectly at 10:30 AM Sunday. Well sort of perfectly. As we were leaving and being pushed from the gate at 12:00 AM from Seattle the tow bar on the aircraft tow vehicle broke. We thought our goose was cooked as they had to call maintenance and see if there was damage to the aircraft etc. Fortunately, this happens often (so they said), no damage and off we went to Houston and on to Ft.Lauderdale.

Embarkation- We caught a taxi from the airport to the port. Arrived by 11:30 and on the ship by noon. All went pretty smooth, although they weaved us through various lines here and there. The regular gangway was broken and we went on without much fanfare. Something to plan for throughout the cruise is taxi and tipping cash. You will need it for all ports and in Ft Lauderdale.

The Ship – the Solstice is a big beautiful ship. Well laid out, modern looking, nice lines, great floor plan, and lots of space. Some areas are well used, others nobody seems to visit. Never really felt crowded except by the pool and up in the OceanView Café. There were lots of sitting areas.

“Mustard & Mayo” Drill - The “Mustard” drill was held without life jackets (new for us) and in a dining room. Very casual and easy. I did miss, though, the feeling of doom, missing passengers, loud horns, stepping on toes, and the cattle feeling with full life jackets on and out on the deck.

Cabin – We were in cabin 6245 which was nice (Deck 6). It seemed very spacious for 4. The cabin was a veranda with a partial obstructed view. The view was great and with the lifeboat below you had that ship feel. One concern, our cabin was not fully clean when we arrived. We found dirty towels and left over papers still in the room. This was sort of the deal all week, but, it didn’t really make for a big issue. Other concern was we could smell smoke from below at times. The odd number side of the ship (Port side) is for smoking and the even number side (Starboard) is not. Same in pool area. We will be on Starboard next trip.

Crew – There seemed to be a high level of tension with the crew on day one and part of day two of the cruise. I was told by a crew member that the first day is always tense because they just let off passengers and new ones come on. It is the longest day for them on the cruise. OK and should that be noticeable by the new passengers? With good customer service training, this shouldn’t matter. Things got better as the cruise went on. We never really saw our cabin steward and we were not impressed with the lack of cleaning attention. We enjoyed seeing Stevon in the wine bar and his service. Best of all we had a great time with David and Claudia at table 300 for fixed 6 pm seating. They were awesome. The Wine Steward and Bartender were always there for us. Crew was great in keeping the ship clean and spotless.

Food – Overall, very good and plentiful. Almost too plentiful, especially in the

OceanView. They have a zillion choices. The one thing that was somewhat bothering is that there was too much to choose from and I didn’t warm up to many of the dishes. My only issues were with breakfast in the dining room, which lacked variety on the menu and the fruit up in the OceanView came in giant size chucks like ¼ of the whole fruit. No strawberries? In season? Still not a big deal.

Pay for Restaurants - We ate once in the Tuscan. Nice view. The food and service were very good. Would I go again, maybe. It didn’t Wow me. The rest of the Family enjoyed it, even our Daughter.

Coffee Bar – Awesome – used it often with the premium package. Try the Ginger Pear Ice Tea – Yum. Also don’t miss out on the free coffee desert delights in the display case.

Wine Bar – Favorite spot. Great wines by the glass as well as great cheeses, olives and fruit.

Beverage Package – Get the premium package!!!! We loved the flexibility and used it often. The package was great for coffee, most all wines by the glass, and many other drinks.

Kids program – really seemed lacking for our Son. Daughter seemed happy although they seemed to do the same thing each day (scavenger hunts). Kids program seemed better on HAL.

Elevators – rarely used as always slow and full, just hiked the stairs. Gave us our daily aerobics.

Seas – they were a little rough at times, but, still manageable with food, Bonine, wine, and rum. The thing that surprised me was how cool it was in the Caribbean. Some of the coolest I can remember. Still very nice.

Noro – no mention of it or concern raised.

Ports – We were a tad late to San Juan so we mainly just went to the fort nearby and looked around. In St. Thomas, went to the 99 steps for fun, walked around town a bit and then went to Meagan’s Beach. Nice but very crowded. We should have gone to SapphireBeach. St, Martin, we took Bernard’s tours. The tour was OK for $40 pp, although we were in a bigger bus which we didn’t expect. We went to many sites. Spent a couple of hours in OrientBeach (I think our kids were a bit warped for life), and went to Margot. We didn’t have long enough in Margot. Also, seem like too much time on the bus. The included drinks were good.

Shows – only went and saw a part of one as it was packed to the rim and very warm in the theater. It was a take off of Circus Sole – pretty good. Missed the other shows.

Debarkation Day – On the last day we were unable to order room service which was a first for us. HAL offers this. Debarkation went smooth except for one thing. When we got off the ship, again not through the regular passenger gangplank, we were treated to the over powering stench from the sewage truck which was sucking up the stuff right by the exit. It was a gag moment and not pleasant.

Ft Lauderdale – Since we had a flight on Monday, we had a full day to explore. We stayed at the Hyatt Place – North. There is a market and wine shop around the corner. Also, take the street car for 50 cents one way down to the beach. You can catch the street car in front of the market.

Overall – I would rate Celebrity and the Solstice 4 + Stars. Would I sail again with Celebrity, yes. Would I recommend or sail on the Solstice again, yes.

Thanks for reading.

I forgot to mention the lawn area on the highest deck. We spent a lot of relaxing time up there. There are nice sitting areas and they have the glass blowing shows. The glass blowing is amazing. One night they had a string quartet (Allegro?) playing, wonderful classical music. We were under the stars, a blanket, and with wine, great.

I should clarify - chilly was 75 to 80. Inside the ship was colder. On the islands it was shorts and a t-shirt. I wore short sleeves the whole time. No need outside, might need inside ship. It is warming up down there. The wind was another story. Hold onto the hat on top decks.

Could you comment some more about the beverage package? I love unsweetened iced tea. Are the flavored teas sweetened already? I also love red wine. Were you able to get your money's worth?

The teas were great and so were the specialty coffees. We like unsweetened iced tea as well and they had many choices (caf and decaf). We are wine drinkers and there were several wines by the glass that we enjoyed around the ship and at dinner. Plus we used the package for a few specialty drinks from the bar. You can also get bottled waters which was good for port days. We do feel we got our money's worth and much more. It was very flexible for us.

Do you have any idea of the number of teenager/children on this trip (looking at this time of year)? You mentioned you thought the childrens program was lacking...was it because of the number of children or is that just the way it is?

There were a number of Teens/Children on the ship. I did hear that it was fewer than the week before. As for what I mean by lacking is that our Son (16) didn’t really seem to attract towards the organized events. He enjoyed kicking back on the ship more. Our Daughter (11) loved going to the activities each day. We rarely saw her on the sea days or evenings. The youth room for the teens is a huge area. Youth area for 11 year olds was smaller. HAL on the other hand had a much smaller room area for the youth but HAL I guess had better electronic fun stuff. Family thinks the Celebrity youth program was great, so my lacking is very minor and should not deter from considering the Solstice.

It's funny how people on the same cruise can have totally different experiences. Well, maybe not so unusual considering the ship holds 3000 peeps. We were on this sailing.

Staff was TOP KNOTCH all the way - no signs of discontent or tension from beginning to end. We were in an Aqua cabin - attendant could not have been more pleasant or efficient (we always swear that there is a hidden camera in the cabin because they always seem to know when you are out and about to take care of the cabin without disturbing your use of the cabin in any way.

If we had to try to find a complaint about the cruise it would be self disembark. Now that was a mess. But we know this is the case and so we were in the appointed area early and so one of the first 20 or so in line - therefore avoided the mess that occurred further back in the dining room where we were to wait.

I was sure there would be out and out war. Someone tried to come in the wrong doors and get in front of line. Set their suitcase down and then headed upstairs for leisurely breakfast (surely no one expected them to get in line early and stay in line....... :rolleyes::D). Anyway, we hear this commotion in front of us. And then hear a male voice say "So everyone is agreed?". And the next thing you know a guy is carrying this suitcase back to the end of the line..... :eek::p

[The Ship – the Solstice is a big beautiful ship. Well laid out, modern looking, nice lines, great floor plan, and lots of space. Some areas are well used, others nobody seems to visit. Never really felt crowded except by the pool and up in the OceanView Café. There were lots of sitting areas.

THANKS for sharing your review and details! Very helpful. Getting ready for our first cruise with Celebrity and on the Solstice.

Three quick questions: First, what was your favorite sitting or hanging out place on the ship and why? Which lesser-used places did you find nice to "get away"? Second, what dining room meals did you really like and find special, more interesting? Third, at the OceanView Cafe, which stations or areas was the food especially good, less jammed with people? What's good to target, do in that venue?

Appreciate your help. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 37,725 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Seas – they were a little rough at times, but, still manageable with food, Bonine, wine, and rum.

We heard that because we were late leaving Fort Lauderdale the ship had to run at higher speed in shoppy seas to make arrival time in San Juan, which was only delayed by approx 30 min. so that's why it was rougher than usual. I never heard why we were late leaving Fort Lauderdale.

I

We were in an Aqua cabin - attendant could not have been more pleasant or efficient (we always swear that there is a hidden camera in the cabin because they always seem to know when you are out and about to take care of the cabin without disturbing your use of the cabin in any way.

:eek::p

We commented on this on Eclipse, and then noticed small pieces of tissue/toilet paper drop from the door when we went out - that is their clue that you have gone!!:D

Could you comment some more about the beverage package? I love unsweetened iced tea. Are the flavored teas sweetened already? I also love red wine. Were you able to get your money's worth?

Gijoe .... check out TeaForte on the net ... these are the teas that are served on board. There may also be other brands but these are the ones on the counter display at Cafe au Bochia. I also enjoyed the ginger pear as well as the pomegrante tea .... I even was able to get extra to take home as they are not cheap ($2/bag in stores). The teas and the Igloos (iced coffee) were what got me throught the cruise and the smoothies available at the Pool Bar.

I was on the cruise the week before and I found it HOT outside and just perfect inside. Even being told to bring a sweater for the theatre I found I didnt need it. I was in theatre every night and recommend all the shows especailly the Newlywed-Not So Newlywed Game.

I was down the hall at 6195 and had Marylou tending the room and she was always there with clean towels and making and turning down beds. I never had any smell of smoke around cabin at all. The Captain also said on the Thursday that the water had been extremely calm coming out of FLL on the 27th so for a first timer that was great.

Funny what a differance a week makes.

It's funny how people on the same cruise can have totally different experiences. Well, maybe not so unusual considering the ship holds 3000 peeps. We were on this sailing.

Staff was TOP KNOTCH all the way - no signs of discontent or tension from beginning to end. We were in an Aqua cabin - attendant could not have been more pleasant or efficient (we always swear that there is a hidden camera in the cabin because they always seem to know when you are out and about to take care of the cabin without disturbing your use of the cabin in any way.

I agree with Tranquil Waters. We were on this sailing and were extremely impressed with the service and cleanliness. Also, we never found it chilly, and we live in South Florida. If anything it was warm on the islands and outdoors on the ship. Our cabin was chilly when we arrived, but we turned the thermostat to where we were comfortable. We didn't self-embark but waited until 9:30, and they called us early. There was a wait for customs, but no big deal. Altogether we couldn't come up with a single complaint, except for the guy in the next cabin who was smoking a cigar on his balcony on our first night. Not Celebrity's fault, and he reluctantly quit when we asked him.

What you may have smelled on the port side may not have been from smokers. It was probably when the ship was bunkering. We had the same issue on the port side on Solstice in 2009. The smell was powerful and woke us up. It was always in the early morning hours but only lasted an hour or so. On my last cruise which was on HAL Eurodam I woke up several mornings between 3:00 am - 4:00 am smelling scrambled eggs! Never figured out that one. We were not near (above or below) any of the galleys. At least it was more pleasant than the bunkering smell.

What you may have smelled on the port side may not have been from smokers. It was probably when the ship was bunkering. We had the same issue on the port side on Solstice in 2009. The smell was powerful and woke us up. It was always in the early morning hours but only lasted an hour or so. On my last cruise which was on HAL Eurodam I woke up several mornings between 3:00 am - 4:00 am smelling scrambled eggs! Never figured out that one. We were not near (above or below) any of the galleys. At least it was more pleasant than the bunkering smell.

Three quick questions: First, what was your favorite sitting or hanging out place on the ship and why? Which lesser-used places did you find nice to "get away"? Second, what dining room meals did you really like and find special, more interesting? Third, at the OceanView Cafe, which stations or areas was the food especially good, less jammed with people? What's good to target, do in that venue? [quote]

Hi

Q1 – Some of the favorite hanging out spots were: Our Veranda (Deck 6), Cellar Masters,Lawn Area Club (Aft), OceanView Bar Area (Aft), great sitting areas for eating breakfast if you do not eat in the Dining Room, Sunset Bar Area (Aft),Cafe au Bochia (Coffee place), Table 300, Entertainment Deck – outside deck chairs

Q2 – Dining Room Meals (there are a lot of choices and some of it is a blur now) I found all the fish dishes to be excellent – the Herb Crusted Merluza was awesome. Salads, soups, and cold soups were really good. The antipasti plate was really good and deserts.

Q3 – OceanView - Depending on when you go (earlier the better) – everything is pretty open and easy to grab (using tongs of course). They have a good layout for the food bars. I headed for the waffles and pancake stuff – as well as fruit and such. My wife liked the omelet bar area. You can get to any of the food bars easily. Go to the Aft drink stations. Oh and get the fresh squeezed OJ at the bar inside the OceanView - Yum.

Archived