Alaska RR - Anchorage to Seward RT

GloriaF

I looked on the Alaska RR site and saw a RT rate of $98 pp, and Glacier Lady has helped hook me up with a couple of inexpensive places to stay in Seward.

Now my question is -- is there a rail depot in the Anchorage Airport?

I looked on the site and found a listing at the airport (unstaffed) and one at 411 West 1st Ave in Anchorage. Does the train actually pick up and leave from the airport depot or just the DT depot? The train leaves for Seward at 6:45 AM, so I want to have a hotel close to the depot. Any advice from those who have done this prior?

Thanks!

At this time, only the cruise contracted trains go to the airport, the regular run goes downtown to the depot. I've taken this train several times. The Days Inn- although basic offers depot shuttles as does the Ramadas.

Thank you, BQ.

The Days Inn will be fine. It is for the day we arrive, traveling all day from Jacksonville Florida to Anchorage, so as long as the beds are comfy and we have a bathroom we'll be fine. Hopefully we will have enough energy left to go out and get a nice dinner in Anchorage, then after a good night's sleep we're off to Seward.

Finally, these pre-cruise days are shaping up thanks to all the help on this board!

Gloria,

I did the morning train to Seward 2 years ago. It is a gorgeous ride - make sure you have some treats with you (granola bars, juice, etc. .) for the ride since I was unable to get breakfast before the trip. They had the dining car closed during our ride.

I stayed at Captain Cook and got an excellent rate ($120/night) but it is generally an expensive hotel. Any of the downtown hotels are going to be very close to the train station and an inexpensive cab ride.

You will love Seward.

Theresa

You're going to love the ride. It's beautiful scenery. On one of my trips on it (done several when the relatives come and visit) it was my first black bear sighting. Have seen several since, even crossing the highway, but that was the first.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Archived