Dropping off luggage in Papeete early AM?

NancyN

I posted a similar question in the Papeete port forum, but thought a past passenger on Paul Gauguin might have an answer (or suggestion) for me. I am arriving on a flight from LAX at 5:00 AM for my May 14 cruise. Since this flight is considered an air-deviation from their standard air/sea program, we are on our own regarding transfers and hospitality services. I know we will not be able to board the ship until mid-afternoon, but does anyone know if we are able to drop off our luggage that early? If not, is there a place to store our luggage at the port until it is time to board?

Thanks,

Nancy

People who stayed in the Meridien said that they were allowed to use the facilities on their return as well.

If you have done your own air this may make sense.

I havent heard ofthe PG accepting luggage that early.

Hi Nancy, we are on the same cruise, sorry, couldnt help, I have the same question too, is there any place we can drop off or a storage we can put our luggage for a few hours?

We need it on May 25, once we leave the ship from 9 or 10 am until we take the ferry to Moorea around noon. We want to drop off the luggage and to go le Marche for 2,3 hours. Thanks.

I have no personal experience with luggage storage, but the airport does have luggage storage though I expect this is less than convenient for you. You might try emailing the folks who run the hostel and ask them if they would hold your bags. This website http://www.hostelz.com/hostel/23636-Teamo-Hostel says they have luggage storage for $3 per bag per day but it may be that it is only for people who stay there. The actual hostel website http://chez.mana.pf/~tahitihostel/en_presen.htm doesn't speak to the issue. No harm in asking. It is still a walk or cab ride, but closer than the airport.

Chiwawa, I would ask the ship to leave the luggage at the pier. A lot of the other passengers wont be leaving until 12 or so they will likely not mind.

I personally prefer to visit the Marche before breakfast at 6 am or so as you then get to see all the action. Later on its just the flowers and souvenirs.

Thanks, Emdee, we will definitly try to ask the ship.

I thought le Marche is a market where we can buy souveniers,etc. What do you mean all the ACTION? What else does it offer? If it's really good, we will try to get up that early.. 6 am seems crazy. Can we walk there from the ship?

The Marche is a market so if you go early on you can see all the brightly coloured fish, fruits etc. Later on a lot of the stalls are closed down. The souvenirs are not particularly special but its ok for soaps Manoi oil etc. I actually prefer to buy some of these things on board the ship as they are packaged in nicer gift wrappings. I did not mean action in the sense of a fish auction or anything like that. Its bustling earlier on and then slows down later.

There are market shops around the marche and shops that sell pareos, fabric etc.

Its just something that we have been doing from our very first trip.

I would also suggest that you walk around the roulottes on the last night. The food on the Pg is a lot more appetizing but its interesting to see the locals hanging out - kids playing and even the whole pig roasting!

Do note that you will not be able to get onto the pier until boarding time, as you must have a ship-issued ID card for access. Even if you were able to get your baggage inside the pier area somehow, it would seem quite unwise to leave it unsecured and alone out in the open (there is no terminal building on the pier). Who knows where it might end up by the time you return.

Silver sweethearts,

I know its a open pier however Chiwawa will be leaving her bags there for two hours until noon when she takes the ferry. She does not need to worry about the ships card as she will have one for her cruise when she gets off. The PG staff are ever so obliging just ask them if they will store your bags until noon and I am sure they will do so.

I had told Nancy that she should consider going to a hotel as she will have a lot of time to kill until 3pm. Nancy could otherwise rent a car and drive around the island until its time to board.

Thanks for the suggestions. Our plan right now is to leave our luggage at the storage facility at the airport and catch the public bus downtown. Then we will catch a bus back to the airport in the afternoon, retrieve our luggage and then grab a taxi to the ship.

Archived