Bringing a Friends Daughter - Do I need to bring any permission documents?

Hi, we are first time cruisers and will be bringing my daughters best friend with us on our cruise who is 17 years old (Freedom July 3rd) When I made my final payment recently, the travel agent said to look into if I needed permission from her parents in terms of leaving the country, entering other countries (islands) or even taking part in on board activites such as flowrider, rock climbing, ice skating...

Does anyone know if anything is required when travelling with someone elses child who I am not legal guardian to?

Thank you!

When we took our Niece and Nephew in 2002, we had a notarized permission slip from their parents authorizing us power of Guardianship for the duration of the cruise - or whatever term you want to us, which included not only permission to take them on the cruise, but also authorizing medical treatment if necessary.

While it may or may not be required, it's better to have such a document and not need it than the reverse. We also had it notarized by our local Credit Union at no charge.

I agree with the pp. I would include all of the travel information in the letter (flights, name of ship, departure dates, excursions, participation in on-board activities, and medical). Then have it notarized.

Also, don't forget to get the insurance information from the girls parent/s. And I would insist that she purchase travel insurance.

Here is the form we have used often, just change the red writing to the actual details, this one is for the mother giving permission, I do try and get one from both parents if possible

To Whom it May Concern

I, Mothers name, formally mothers maiden name (mother), do give permission your name to take my daughter, childs name, whose date of birth is childs birthdate, on a cruise aboard Royal Caribbean’s Ship Name sailing from Departure Port on Sail Date.

The cruise is scheduled to go to itinerary but I understand that the itinerary is subject to change and agree to any changes the cruise line may make.

I also give your name permission to secure and authorize any medical treatment that childs name may need while in their care and to sign any waivers needed to authorize any activities childs name may want to partake in.

Signed this day of 2011 in Brevard County Florida

Mothers name

STATE OF FLORIDA

COUNTY OF ________

Sworn to and subscribed before me this _____ day of _____, 2011, by

Signature Florida Notary Public ________________________________

Notary Stamp

Personally Known ______ OR Produced Identification _______

Type of Identification Produced_______________________________________________

From the Royal Caribbean website:

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

Here's the link to the page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/travelDocumentation.do?cS=NAVBAR

Thank you for you input...I did purchase the travel insurance for her....do you think I should contact Royal Caribbean directly? Thank you for the letter, I will bring that with me.

Her parents are very good friends of mine, I just didn't want to get to the port and end up having problems, or get on board and she wanted to rock climb and wouldn't be allowed.

from the royal caribbean website:

Adults who are not the parent or legal guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock climbing, flowrider, bungee trampoline, inline skating, or ice skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a legal guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of guardianship with respect to the child.

Here's the link to the page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/traveldocumentation.do?cs=navbar

thank you so much!!!!

Thank you for you input...I did purchase the travel insurance for her....do you think I should contact Royal Caribbean directly? Thank you for the letter, I will bring that with me.

Her parents are very good friends of mine, I just didn't want to get to the port and end up having problems, or get on board and she wanted to rock climb and wouldn't be allowed.

As long as you have that letter and her passport or bc and ID you will have no problems. we have used it often.

Definitely get the letter ... we took my niece on a Celebrity cruise in March and were specifically asked for it from the check-in agent before she would start checking us in. US customs, on the other hand, didn't seem to care (though they made sure to scan our passports for a record).

I have traveled with children not my own several times. You must have a notarized letter from the parents allowing you to take their child out of the country. It must cover medical as well. It should state flights, hotels, ship dates and excursions you intend to take. Also should include a blanket statement covering all ship board activities and those of the excursion. You should insure that they have bought a paid for extra medical insurance. Have fun.

If your TA couldn't answer this question, I would look for a new one for next cruise!

Bingo!!! That was my first thought, if the TA told the cruiser to go figure it out the TA is not doing their job...they should have provided the info we are collectively providing here...any good TA would know that kids leaving the USA with other than their own parents need specific permission.

I think prior posters covered it...

Permission notaried

Insurance Card of copy of it (same for RX card)

and insisting that the child have travel insurance is a good idea as well.

We are taking a 17-year old friend of my Grandson's on FOS in July also. We have printed up the form and are making sure that the trip does not start w/o this notarized form, along with his passport. Can you imagine getting to the ship and being denied boarding for lack of this letter? Our TA was the first one to explain to us about the need for the form.

Hi, we are first time cruisers and will be bringing my daughters best friend with us on our cruise who is 17 years old (Freedom July 3rd) When I made my final payment recently, the travel agent said to look into if I needed permission from her parents in terms of leaving the country, entering other countries (islands) or even taking part in on board activites such as flowrider, rock climbing, ice skating...

Does anyone know if anything is required when travelling with someone elses child who I am not legal guardian to?

Thank you!

We are on the same cruise and traveling with our 3 kids and 4 of their friends (16, 16, 16, 16, 18, 21 and 21). We have taken friends before and had 2 letters for each child. One with permission to take the child and for medical reasons, along with a copy of their insurance card. The other one for permission for them to do the activities on board. Everything was notorized.

Only the minors in our group will need this but everyone must have insurance cards.

A quick question..............

Several people have mentioned the need for an insurance card. I was under the impression that the ship's doctor and/or a doctor or medical facility in one of the ports did not accept insurance & immediate payment was required. What am I missing?

A quick question..............

Several people have mentioned the need for an insurance card. I was under the impression that the ship's doctor and/or a doctor or medical facility in one of the ports did not accept insurance & immediate payment was required. What am I missing?

You are missing that if the child is medevacced back to the US or sent to a US hospital (as happened to my daughter off of the Disney Magic when she got sick in Nassau - she was sent to Port Canaveral Medical Center in Florida) - then you would need the child's medical card :)

You are missing that if the child is medevacced back to the US or sent to a US hospital (as happened to my daughter off of the Disney Magic when she got sick in Nassau - she was sent to Port Canaveral Medical Center in Florida) - then you would need the child's medical card :)

Thanks! I wasn't thinking of US ports........

Does anybody know the rules for a friend that is 19 years old?

It's interesting that you post that. My daughter's 19 year old friend is traveling with us, and I was told it wasn't needed because she was over 18. That was by my TA, who called RCI to verify.

However, in order to sail with us, she and my daughter had to be in a room adjoining ours, because she isn't 21. It's made me a bit hesitant. To be on the safe side, I am going to have her mother sign a letter. I figure there's no harm, right?

I will do the usual passport, driver's license thing for all 4 of us. (my daughter actually has a permit) I will also be bringing my marriage license and my daughter's birth certificate, because I had a problem last time due to our name difference.

I guess it's good to be extra careful!

Archived