Med price drops: tempted to change booking

Shep_Proudfoot

I noticed a price drop and am contemplating my options before I decide if/when to act on it. Any thoughts from those familiar with the options are appreciated. I understand cruisecrtic advice is no substitute for talking to my TA, but I just want to be informed before I decide to do anything at all.

I have a C3 on the Equinox booked for August, final payment is in June. This was booked via an online agency. I just noticed that, while the C3 cost to reserve a specific room is more or less unchanged since I booked, there are now CC guarantees available at $500 less per person than what we paid. Previously, no guarantees of any cabin category were available.

Given that a C3 is already the lowest class of CC cabin, it seems like I could trade off saving $1,000 for control over my choice of room if I simply cancel and rebook online? (minus any TA fees for doing so, if applicable). Does that sound right? I would confirm the situation with the TA before doing anything, I just want a general second opinion this is a normal way to take advantage of price drops. I wouldn't bother with this for a few hundred dollars, but $1,000 is enough to get my attention and possibly jump through some hoops for the savings.

Or should I just be calling my TA and seeing if they can just switch the category of my booking? Is it possible my approach to how to handle this situation might need additional consideration because trip insurance has been purchased?

since you're not within final payment, it shouldn't be a problem to cancel & rebook, unless your agency has restrictions, (that's why I don't use a TA)

also; is your insurance independent of the cruiseline? As long as it's not X's insurance you should be able to simply use it for the new cruise booking. If you purchased celebrity's insurance, I'm not sure how that would work.

Another consideration, of course is whether you're fine with any cc location that they give you. For a $1000 savings, I sure would be:)

since you're not within final payment, it shouldn't be a problem to cancel & rebook, unless your agency has restrictions, (that's why I don't use a TA)

also; is your insurance independent of the cruiseline? As long as it's not X's insurance you should be able to simply use it for the new cruise booking. If you purchased celebrity's insurance, I'm not sure how that would work.

Another consideration, of course is whether you're fine with any cc location that they give you. For a $1000 savings, I sure would be:)

Yes, the cruise insurance is independent of X. While I would be a bit sad to give up a room I chose after much research, I think the $1,000 would make up for it. I've used guarantees several times before and never had a problem with the room assignment, although I supposed I now should research if any CC cabins on the Equinox are obstructed view, because that might be a risk I don't want to take.

Just raising a point that if the price is $1000.00 less for the booking, your agency may allow you to rebook but good chance they will lower the previous amount of OBC they had offered you.

Will you let us know the outcome? Good luck!

I would think your agency could just switch the category, adjusting the price. Otherwise cancel and rebook. I agree you might lose some OBC from the agency or other special offers since you are paying less.

Since there aren't really any "special" C3s, I'd be all over that! Actually, for $1000, I'd be willing to give up a C2 hump as well, but I know some people wouldn't.

I'd just call your TA and ask them to make the switch for you but yes, whatever special offer they are giving you will probably decrease as well since their commission is decreasing.

Since there aren't really any "special" C3s, I'd be all over that! Actually, for $1000, I'd be willing to give up a C2 hump as well, but I know some people wouldn't.

I'd just call your TA and ask them to make the switch for you but yes, whatever special offer they are giving you will probably decrease as well since their commission is decreasing.

Aloha!

Agree with you about the C3 and maybe they'll catch a C2 in the process!

In regard to travel insurance the policy usually reflects the date you booked. If you cancel and re-book this might effect the coverage. I would check with the company to be sure you are still covered if you actually cancelled and re-booked. If they just changed your cabin and gave you the new rate under original booking number you are fine.

I really wish we could go this year because the new Med prices, especially Sostice, are so good right now. They are also offering a great price on RT air. We hope to go next year, but we will be afraid to book a lot in advance based on this year. Although it looks like the original poster will make out fine!

I really wish we could go this year because the new Med prices, especially Sostice, are so good right now. They are also offering a great price on RT air. We hope to go next year, but we will be afraid to book a lot in advance based on this year. Although it looks like the original poster will make out fine!

How can you find out what rates they have on RT air?

We did it a few days ago and saved $2400! We were assigned a new cabin within an hour and it's only a few cabins down from the original. There will be a lifeboat underneath our balcony, which we had last time. It certainly wasn't/isn't a big deal and with the extra $2400 saved we can take a lot of great tours. Everyone is different and that's okay, but for us, after 25 cruises we figure basically a balcony is a balcony and $2400 is $2400. We're happy!

Actually, the reduced air specials X is offering aren't through Choice Air (which is actually good since these reduced air specials INCLUDE transfers - which can be worth as much as $200pp roundtrip from Rome).

Solstice Barcelona June 19; July 1, 13, 25; August 12, 24, 2011

Equinox Rome June 27; July 8, 29; A ugust 8, 19, 29, 2011

$999 roundtrip air from BOS • EWR • IAD • JFK

$1099 roundtrip air from CLT • IAH • ORD • PHL • TP A • YYZ • MCO

$1199 roundtrip air from ATL • BWI • DEN • D TW • LAX • MCO • MIA • MSP • PIT • SEA • SFO • YUL

I noticed a price drop and am contemplating my options before I decide if/when to act on it. Any thoughts from those familiar with the options are appreciated. I understand cruisecrtic advice is no substitute for talking to my TA, but I just want to be informed before I decide to do anything at all.

I have a C3 on the Equinox booked for August, final payment is in June. This was booked via an online agency. I just noticed that, while the C3 cost to reserve a specific room is more or less unchanged since I booked, there are now CC guarantees available at $500 less per person than what we paid. Previously, no guarantees of any cabin category were available.

Given that a C3 is already the lowest class of CC cabin, it seems like I could trade off saving $1,000 for control over my choice of room if I simply cancel and rebook online? (minus any TA fees for doing so, if applicable). Does that sound right? I would confirm the situation with the TA before doing anything, I just want a general second opinion this is a normal way to take advantage of price drops. I wouldn't bother with this for a few hundred dollars, but $1,000 is enough to get my attention and possibly jump through some hoops for the savings.

Or should I just be calling my TA and seeing if they can just switch the category of my booking? Is it possible my approach to how to handle this situation might need additional consideration because trip insurance has been purchased?

If you don't care where your cabin will be - take a grand and run. I will.

We did it a few days ago and saved $2400! We were assigned a new cabin within an hour and it's only a few cabins down from the original. There will be a lifeboat underneath our balcony, which we had last time. It certainly wasn't/isn't a big deal and with the extra $2400 saved we can take a lot of great tours. Everyone is different and that's okay, but for us, after 25 cruises we figure basically a balcony is a balcony and $2400 is $2400. We're happy!

Jan, I just saw this thread and I think I should call my TA , cancel my reservation and rebook do the veranda guarantee ... I could save $2500 too. I'm afraid of getting an obstructed view. Is there anyway to avoid that or just roll the dice? Were you able to keep ur original booking number (so my travel insurance is still ok) ?

thanks

Elaine

By checking the new cabin number we saw that we were midship but with an obstructed view. The worst it can be is a lifeboat directly below us or some apparatus or both. It's hard to tell by the diagrams. For that kind of money we can live with it. Our travel agent seems to think we could be upgraded sometime which would be nice. We like the balcony for the extra room and light but we don't "live" out there by any means. None of the balconies, unless they are suites, are all that huge anyway. I'm thrilled to be saving that much money. The cruiseline will eventually get the $2400 anyway! We are booked for a similar Med cruise next year on the Constellation and you can be sure we will keep checking the fares. We've done it before and haven't been disappointed. Good luck!

I think I am going to leave well enough alone. It turns out I paid a little less than I thought initially and with the cancellation fee and lost frequent flyer miles (which is mainly what I got instead of OBC) it would have made it about the equivalent of a $350 savings... Not quite enough to redo everything and give up the room I picked out..at least that is how I am feeling this minute.

As Cruizer Bill said, the Europe values are very good on X this year. Hopefully the meat in the MDR will not obviously reflect that!!

• 3 months later...

Archived