The Future of Captain's Club?

C 2 C

Amen Anne Maria. You just confirmed why we love you.

Are you and Frank still planning on Silhouette with us next year?????????

Pat

Hi Pat, thanks so much. I hope we can make Silhouette next year. I think the reason I'm in such a bad mood is we haven't cruised in over a year!

Guess I have a little different take on the reciprocal arrangement.

We were Diamond already in 2005 and decided to try Celebrity in 2005. Sailed Constellation as our first Celebrity cruise. Were afforded Elite status on our first Celebrity cruise and got 'hooked' on Celebrity. We are now over 20+ credits on Celebrity alone, with Elite being 10+ credits.

What, in my opinion, would be worst would be to combine the programs to get a status on either. Now with RCL using days, not sure if they can, but that seemed to always be a popular proposal on the CC boards.

Long term, they need to stay fixed on a reward program and not dilute the program, i.e. limiting drink selection in Captain's Club (my beef). Give me my Boddington's each evening and I am a happy sailor. Don't really use most other perks now. How many times can you take a tour?! Priority tendors get you off how many minutes early(?) and (in our typical case) we travel with non Elites and thus, don't avail ourselves to priority tendering.

We do use the match play in the books and if there is a free 8X10 picture, ususally get that. I think we have used the cleaning (fill the bag?) perk on occasion if cruise is longer than 7 days.

Anyway, back to original point. Celebrity and RCL are sister companies and there is a thought/process to provide a path to migrate to the upscale cruise line and one way is to honor status of the other (going from RCL to Celebrity) In the opposite direction, I guess the rationale is to try a more family oriented(?) cruise/large city ship(?) and offer those Celebrity cruisers the benefit of their earned status on Celebrity while sailing RCL. Doesn't sound like a bad idea. Maybe in the execution there needs to be some adjustments, but on surface, it makes sense to try and keep loyal Celebrity or RCL cruisers within the same overall corporate company.

Our last cruise, Eclipse this past January was not crowded with Elite passengers, although Captains Club was not in Michaels Club. Our RCL cruise in December 2010 (on Allure of Seas-what a great sailing we had!) had lots of Diamond members sailing (we were on 2nd full week of sailing) and thus was a little bit more crowded, but NO ONE ever told me we could not enjoy our perks! Never had to stand in line to get our free picture/free match play or free drinks.

I can only imagine that the only real issue is potential overcrowding in Captains Club or Crown & Anchor Society venues.

Hi Pat, thanks so much. I hope we can make Silhouette next year. I think the reason I'm in such a bad mood is we haven't cruised in over a year!

That would put a crimp in my attitude too!

As Royal Caribbean tag line use to be: Get Out There!

Hi Arno and everyone else on the thread,

I was asked on my last Celebrity sailing(end of 2010) to take part in a focus group about Captain's Club changes.

After you started this thread a few days ago, I called one of my good friends at corporate headquarters, and she said that nothing was in the immediate future for changes. I personally believe that they want the RCCL changes that took place earlier this year to settle in, before they look at any changes to Celebrity's program.

The focus groups recommendations overall were as follows( of course with some lively discussions):

1. Unhook all three programs, RCCL, Azamara, and Celebrity, allowing grandfathering in of credits prior to the change.

2. Go to numbers of days sailed and not credits in setting up new programs. As to those grandfathered in, if you achieved elite status on Celebrity because of RCCL, when you are going for a new higher tier, you have to have the new number of days sailed on Celebrity to get there.

3. Bring in higher tiers(like Andy recommended) at 25, 50, 100 credits or whatever the equivalent is for number of days sailed. No double dipping for being in a CC or suite.

4. Allow shareholder benefit credit to be combined with onboard booking credit

5. A personalized amenity for those in the highest tier.

I would be interested to know how many cruisers have more than 100 cruise credits. Perhaps there needs to be another tier above that if there are many in that group.

We mostly don't go the happy hour anymore because it is so crowded or we are doing other things. We always make use of the internet, drycleaning and laundry, and think those are great.

I certainly don't have the number of cruises as so many of you have on the thread, and I am appreciative of whatever perks I receive. I cruise Celebrity and all of the other lines because of the itinerary and the prior positive experiences. I personally wish they would change the names of the different tiers, as it would be easier if they were colors, or something that didn't sound a little snobby. If they dropped the program altogether, I would still cruise Celebrity if the itinerary and the price were attractive.

In this current economy, I am very aware of how fortunate we are to cruise. We'll be in Celebrity twice more this year as well as an RCCL cruise. I definitely would like to see the program revised,sooner rather than later, but I also understand that all changes have to be considered carefully as it affects the corporate bottom line.

Would love if this was reinstated.

As for all the loyalty benefits, as far as I'm concerned it's all just icing on the cake and I don't know why people get so wound up about it. They should be viewed as privileges rather than expectations.

Hi Kk99 !

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'm very pleased to hear that Celebrity is at least considering the higher tiers for Captains Club, and re-instating the combining of Shareholder credit with the Onboard booking credit. As most of you are aware, I've been writing about this since Day 1 of the change, and I will talk about it any chance I can get... until Celebrity reinstates the combinability.

If Celebrity opts to be creative, there are many ways to offer both the Onboard booking, and Shareholder OBC without giving away the store. I've shared many ideas. I strongly feel that it would produce a surge in onboard bookings, and would be a win-win for everyone.

I would be interested to know how many cruisers have more than 100 cruise credits. Perhaps there needs to be another tier above that if there are many in that group.

Hi kk99.

I am glad to hear there is still a focus group discussing the issue.

While on board the reunion cruise, we were told by the Miami representative that there are a dozen couples over the 100 level. With TommyD3 recent passing of that threshold as well as well as his daughter's, I believe the number is now 27 including the spouses/companion of the names that I recognize. If a system similar to RCL's were to be used, 100 cruises=700 points(days) comparable to their highest level.

So many people who have responded so far are looking at the static number that are eligible for their level of benefits. When we attended our first Captain's Club gathering in the mid 90's there were fewer than 10 cruisers present. We were on our second X cruise and the highest attendee had 6 cruises. I have heard that on the Eclipse transatlantic there were about 850 elites eligible to attend. As the number of cruisers are attracted to the Celebrity product (including the large number of reciprocal Diamond holders from RCL), the number of passengers will eventually overwhelm the program introduced in July 2009. For that reason I was speculating about the program's future, especially after witnessing the changes at RCL.

Looking back over the years I can remember when my wife and I were recognized at the Captains Club party as the ones with the greatest number of X cruises under our belts. We were given a bottle of Champaign and my wife received a dozen roses. I do not remember which ship we were on but I do remember the number of cruises because I was very proud of it---13. Those were the days.

My Friend,

I knew when I was writing that I would probably have to respond to a Saint like you whomever you may be.

You cannot honestly tell me that you haven't tried to flex your Elite muscles at anytime. I haven't met anyone yet who hasn't.

People take friends to Happy Hour, bring free booze to the dining room, give away coupons, etc.

Every Elite wants this or that. "Last cruise I was at the Captain's Table, I demand to go now!!!!" " Why does this guy with all the cruises get all the attention and I get nothing!!!!"

I am cruising 250 days a year on Celebrity and have seen it all.

If you were on a 8AM private excursion with your friends and family and you saw that you wouldn't be able to get off until 10 without the priority tickets, are you saying here that you wouldn't try to help the situation out? If that is true you are more foolish than noble.

We have a guest here who claims that his cruise experience is negatively affected by something so minor and fixable. If you were a loyal Elite member wouldn't you want to see your fellow guest as happy as possible so they wouldn't have to comment like this on CC? This is asking for priority tender tickets in a polite manor. I believe it is very distinguishable from booking an inside guarantee and expecting a suite upon arrival just because you are Elite!!!!

Read the comment below yours and snap out of it.

EMIL

Odd u shld address me as 'My Friend' when u are anything BUT friendly..although I suppose my being a tad critical might have triggered that!!

Why do u HAVE to respond at all - am I not entitled to my opinion as much as u are...

I believe that on CC we are not allowed to make nasty rude comments to one another but I see that some feel they are above this CC rule and better yet - u feel the need to be sarcastic & to attempt to feel superior by telling me to 'snap out of it' although 'snap out of what' escapes me..Good attempt at being clever though.. :)

I am not Elite but even if I was I definately wldn't be doing any of the things u suggest but perhaps rightly so that others do - with your experience I am sure u have seen a great deal! I travel in suites now but have friends & relatives travelling in other accommodations and at no time do I consider myself either a SAINT or entitled to anything beyond what I have paid for although I do expect at least that.. If however u feel that qualifies me as a SAINT then thankyou and as far as being 'more foolish than noble' are u suggesting I shld be greedy and ask for more than I am entitled to, since your other comments & underlying negativity seems to be critical of those that do?

I still do not agree that folks shld ask for more than they have paid for and are entitled to - it is NOT fair to those that have and I repeat - when more & more do - the perks become diluted and eventually will disappear!!

Agree with me or not - your choice but please - do try & resist being sarcastic - I wld think it should be beneath someone with your level of expertise...as u can make your points well enough without it and it says more about u than it does about me!

Enjoy great cruisin'! :)

Hello Maven,

Under penalty of death I am not allowed to divulge the extra perks, benefits, freebies, and goodies that I receive on board and from my friends in the Home Office. However, with all due respect your issue is so easily fixed that it almost borders on comical. I am sure Celebrity would not mind if I let you in on this "inside" scoop.

Take your priority tickets to Guest Relations or the Concierge. Show them that you are Elite and explain to them that you are sailing with friends. They will ask you how many. If the number is within reason I guarantee you that they will give you priority tender tickets for each member of your party and send you on your merry way. Problem solved!!!

I have been receiving this "benefit" long before I became a well known character so you have nothing to worry about.

I hate when the cruise line is taken to task over such a trivial issue.

Many times all people have to do is ask politely.

Happy tendering.

EMIL

I agree. I've done this before when I organised a tour in Falmouth, Cornwall (quite the worst tender port I've ever been to, but I LOVE Cornwall so forgave them!). It's a complete non-issue.

Phil

I am a crossover from Royal Caribbean-Diamond, and I think I heard that there were 2.5M Crown & Anchor members. Someone on the staff on our last ship mentioned that, but I have no idea if it is true or not. With that many folks, it becomes an exceedingly expensive program.

I probably have a minority position. I pick the cruise line and ship for the itinerary and atmosphere on board. If that means I am a repeat cruiser and get a free coke or glass of cheap wine at a cocktail party, then fine.

But I am not like the kid with the glassy eyes looking at a $5 box of cereal just to get a $0.03 toy.

EMIL -- who are you and when can we cruise together:eek::D I think you have made excellent observations here.

3418 - not sure where you got your information -- but we got off Constellation on April 9th and there were over 400 Elites on board - not 30 or 40.

I love the Elite perks. On the March 26th Constellation cruise, my DH and I were discussing how much we enjoyed the internet and laundry coupons. On this cruise we never made it to either the Elite Lounge in the evening or breakfast in the morning. Last year on Mercury, we were in the Elite Lounge every night;) Each cruise is very different. It also may have something to do with the premium liquor package we had:)

Although we are Elite we are no where near the levels of some of you. I'm just grateful for any perks at all and use as many of them as we can.

Lucy

Hi Arno and everyone else on the thread,

I was asked on my last Celebrity sailing(end of 2010) to take part in a focus group about Captain's Club changes.

After you started this thread a few days ago, I called one of my good friends at corporate headquarters, and she said that nothing was in the immediate future for changes. I personally believe that they want the RCCL changes that took place earlier this year to settle in, before they look at any changes to Celebrity's program.

The focus groups recommendations overall were as follows( of course with some lively discussions):

1. Unhook all three programs, RCCL, Azamara, and Celebrity, allowing grandfathering in of credits prior to the change.

2. Go to numbers of days sailed and not credits in setting up new programs. As to those grandfathered in, if you achieved elite status on Celebrity because of RCCL, when you are going for a new higher tier, you have to have the new number of days sailed on Celebrity to get there.

3. Bring in higher tiers(like Andy recommended) at 25, 50, 100 credits or whatever the equivalent is for number of days sailed. No double dipping for being in a CC or suite.

5. A personalized amenity for those in the highest tier.

We mostly don't go the happy hour anymore because it is so crowded or we are doing other things. We always make use of the internet, drycleaning and laundry, and think those are great.

I certainly don't have the number of cruises as so many of you have on the thread, and I am appreciative of whatever perks I receive. I cruise Celebrity and all of the other lines because of the itinerary and the prior positive experiences. I personally wish they would change the names of the different tiers, as it would be easier if they were colors, or something that didn't sound a little snobby. If they dropped the program altogether, I would still cruise Celebrity if the itinerary and the price were attractive.

In this current economy, I am very aware of how fortunate we are to cruise. We'll be in Celebrity twice more this year as well as an RCCL cruise. I definitely would like to see the program revised,sooner rather than later, but I also understand that all changes have to be considered carefully as it affects the corporate bottom line.

Thank you KK for that update.

In closing let me say that I too was part of a focus group going back about 2 years now.

Most of the items you discussed were touched upon then especially the new tiers and the shareholder combinability. However, the hot topics at that time were laundry, dry cleaning, internet minutes and the Happy Hour. Based upon today's benefits I guess we did pretty well.

Some things I advocated for then but have still not been instituted are:

1. Less than a 100% single supplement at some tier level, even though this doesn't even apply to me.

2. 1 free shore excursion of your choice per cruise.

3. Free transfers from Airports to ships and back in the Celebrity buses for those with 100+ cruises.

Many of my suggestions were absorbed by Azamara. Oh Well, Happy Cruising Everyone!!!!

EMIL

3. Free transfers from Airports to ships and back in the Celebrity buses for those with 100+ cruises.

Many of my suggestions were absorbed by Azamara. Oh Well, Happy Cruising Everyone!!!!

EMIL

If I had that many cruises I would want Celebrity to pick me up in a town car at the airport, also if you live within 60 miles (1 hour) of the port they should pick you up at home and drive you there.

That's what I would love! We will never get close to 100+ unless we hit Powerball or MegaMillions - but one can dream.

We originally gained our Elite status from being Diamond on Royal, now we have as many Celebrity, so have accrued Elite twice so to speak. I think the perks on Elite are better than the perks on Royal at my level. We still bring CRUISE VIRGINS with us on Celebrity and hardly use the lounge because they cannot (Not a big deal) We love the other perks. We cruise Celebrity because we love the product, perks are nice but love the cruises with friends, meeting new people and seeing new places. We are doing a PRINCESS next year British Isles (waited years for Celebrity to add this) have sailed with them 3 times and are a little fish without perks next year oh well!! My next tier level (when it comes) will be with Celebrity!!:o

EMIL -- who are you and when can we cruise together:eek::D I think you have made excellent observations here.

3418 - not sure where you got your information -- but we got off Constellation on April 9th and there were over 400 Elites on board - not 30 or 40.

I love the Elite perks. On the March 26th Constellation cruise, my DH and I were discussing how much we enjoyed the internet and laundry coupons. On this cruise we never made it to either the Elite Lounge in the evening or breakfast in the morning. Last year on Mercury, we were in the Elite Lounge every night;) Each cruise is very different. It also may have something to do with the premium liquor package we had:)

Although we are Elite we are no where near the levels of some of you. I'm just grateful for any perks at all and use as many of them as we can.

Lucy

I Lucy,

Nice to meet you. Thank you for the kind words. Your class, taste , and intelligence are obviously at a very high level!!!! Obviously there are some that disagree with us but they clearly don't approach your degree of recognition and in sight!!!!

Don't know why we haven't cruised together. This is clearly regrettable.I am just a 53 year old retiree living on a fixed income trying to make ends meet.

Next time you are on Celebrity just ask for me. Most of the crew know me, know where I have been or know where I am heading. Or you can become my friend on FB. My last name is Wolf. Would love to talk with you further.

You have made an excellent observation in your post that I believe puts you in a very small minority.

You say that you do not need to rely on the Happy Hour because of the Premium Liquor Package you purchase. I stress the word PURCHASE. I am sure most of my fellow Brother and Sister Elite's would say just the opposite. " Who needs to buy a liquor package when we can get sufficiently inebriated every day from 4-6 or from 5-7 for FREE. We spent a lot of money to allow us to gain this privilege and we deserve it!!!!"

Come on people you know who you are!!!

Hell, if I drank I would probably say the same thing!!!

Happy sailing. Hope to meet you sometime.

EMIL

Thank you Tex,

See you Sunday.

EMIL

I was fortunate to sail with you and your wonderful wife last fall on the Southampton cruise to the states, you were such an interesting person. Enough of that, I see that you are sailing on the Solstice, does that mean you again will be on the transatlantic on the First of May, if you are I will again enjoy all you insight into the art of cruising. Mary and Bob who sails sabbatical and hubby.

If I had that many cruises I would want Celebrity to pick me up in a town car at the airport, also if you live within 60 miles (1 hour) of the port they should pick you up at home and drive you there.

That's what I would love! We will never get close to 100+ unless we hit Powerball or MegaMillions - but one can dream.

GOD BLESS YOU CHICKY!!!!

I think at the next shareholder's meeting that I attend I will put your name in nomination for Chairlady of the Board!!!!

I actually proposed what you are suggesting once. Suffice it to say that I am going to Solstice on Sunday. My neighbor will be picking me up to drive me to the Port at 11. We shall overcome some day!!!!

EMIL

I was fortunate to sail with you and your wonderful wife last fall on the Southampton cruise to the states, you were such an interesting person. Enough of that, I see that you are sailing on the Solstice, does that mean you again will be on the transatlantic on the First of May, if you are I will again enjoy all you insight into the art of cruising. Mary and Bob who sails sabbatical and hubby.

Another guy with excellent taste and obviously a great judge of character!!!!

It was a pleasure sailing with you and your wife on the TA.

No East bound TA's for us this year.

1 cruise on SL followed by a month on SM.

2 trips and 85 days worth of cruising in Europe scheduled for later this year including West bound TA. That should suffice for now. Enough is enough!!!!

Hope to see you soon.

EMIL

GOD BLESS YOU CHICKY!!!!

I think at the next shareholder's meeting that I attend I will put your name in nomination for Chairlady of the Board!!!!

I actually proposed what you are suggesting once. Suffice it to say that I am going to Solstice on Sunday. My neighbor will be picking me up to drive me to the Port at 11. We shall overcome some day!!!!

EMIL

Emil, please do put my name in. They need a woman running things.

Are you still sailing Summit 5/29? It looks like we might not be taking that trip now.

Emil, please do put my name in. They need a woman running things.

Are you still sailing Summit 5/29? It looks like we might not be taking that trip now.

You better believe they need a woman!!!!

My wife tells me that every day!!!

Yes, still on 5/29 SM. Hope all is well. I need you there!!!!

EMIL

Lucy

We feel the same way regarding the perks. The Elite Lounge is nice, & it's great to know that it's there. Like you, some sailings we are there every day, & some, we might make it once or twice. Knowing that it's available is nice though.

I do believe that they need additional levels to the Captain's Club, because as others have said, the increasing number of people in Elite will tend to dilute the experience.

Regardless of level, while one may or may not use the perks, it's nice to know that they are available.

I am somewhat amused at the posts saying there needs to be more levels or the benefits will be diluted. Unless Celebrity makes it harder for new people to achieve Elite or they take away some of the benefits at that level and move them to higher ones, that won't help at all. There will still be many, many more Elites created each month and the current benefits will become either too crowded (such as the happy hour) or too expensive for Celebrity to continue. Same result.

And doing either of those things will create a storm of complaints just like happened on the Royal Caribbean board when Diamonds were blocked form Concierge Lounge access.

The fact is too many people feel a sense of entitlement and forget why they cruise in the first place (because we enjoy the cruise experience). Once something is given, people expect it as a "right", and are not always grateful for the gift.

People will complain bitterly because they are no longer given a free drink and will forget all about the 10-20 (or more) free drinks they've received.

Archived