Long Beach area accomodation to sleep 5?

kazbar

Hello :)

We will be sailing out of Long beach on the Splendor and need somewhere pretty basic to sleep for the Saturday night before we board.

The problem is that there are 5 of us and almost every motel & hotel will only allow 4 people in a room. The kids are going to be 7, 7 and 5 so we would prefer to be in one room (both to have them near us and to save $$).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Would we be better off staying outside of Long beach and getting a shuttle to the port?

Help please!:confused:

You are caught between spending money for two rooms, or getting the somewhat rare two bedroom suite, which is also going to cost you a nice penny. Either way, it is going to cost you.

Have you looked into an Embassy Suites? That is probably your best shot. Nicer hotels would be more inclined to have the larger suites.

In an Embassy Suites, you will have a bed in the bedroom, a fold out coach, and you will need the rollaway for the fifth person. You will need a rollaway in just about about any situation. That isn't the point.

The point, as you said, is getting 5 in the room. It requires either a very large room- think suite- a multi-room unit, again, think suite- or two different rooms. There just isn't much other choice for 5.

Hello :)

We will be sailing out of Long beach on the Splendor and need somewhere pretty basic to sleep for the Saturday night before we board.

The problem is that there are 5 of us and almost every motel & hotel will only allow 4 people in a room. The kids are going to be 7, 7 and 5 so we would prefer to be in one room (both to have them near us and to save $$).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Would we be better off staying outside of Long beach and getting a shuttle to the port?

Help please!:confused:

There are a limited number of hotels in Long Beach I would recommend...

I started a small search by going to the Residence Inn Downtown (thinking they might be able to) web page and got a note that they could not accommodate five in one room...but it redirected me to other Marriott hotels that could...

This list included the Courtyard Long Beach Downtown 500 East First Street · Long Beach, CA 90802 ...plugging in an arbitrary date next month, it gave me a room for five...described as follows:

Larger Guest room, 1 King, Sofabed, The Queen Mary view, Harbor view, High floor Room Harbor View Executive

Maximum Occupancy: 5

1 King

Sofabed

350sqft/32sqm

Air-conditioned

This room is non-smoking

Outdoor spaces total size 12sqft/1sqm

...for $199 per night for that arbitrary night...

This hotel would not be a bad choice...

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lgbcy-courtyard-long-beach-downtown/

Neither the Long Beach Hilton nor Doubletree Maya can accommodate you in one room...nor can the Avia...nor the Hyatt nor Westin...nor Renaissance...

Unless you want to do "adjoining rooms" somewhere, the Courtyard is probably your best bet...

Thank you for your help. :)

I am a little surprised that this hasn't come up before (I did a search but couldn't see anything similar) as I can't possibly be the first looking for a single room for 5 people :confused:

Anyway, just in case anyone else needs to know, this is whats been found so far;

• Courtyard Long Beach Downtown (as found by Bruin Steve)
  • Days Inn City Centre Long beach
  • Long beach Marriott (I can get a 5 pax room through expedia but not through the hotels site)
  • Quality Inn Near Long Beach Airport (free shuttle to port)

I am a little surprised that this hasn't come up before (I did a search but couldn't see anything similar) as I can't possibly be the first looking for a single room for 5 people :confused:

Anyway, just in case anyone else needs to know, this is whats been found so far;

• Long beach Marriott (I can get a 5 pax room through expedia but not through the hotels site)

Let me explain a little more...

Long Beach is a pretty big city in and of itself...a population of over half a million.

There are good parts and bad parts...

Some locations are pretty far from the pier and far from tourist amenities and attractions...

If one is cruising out of Long Beach, I strongly recommend staying in what is known as the "Convention Center" Area...This is a very limited area in Downtown Long Beach where the city has spent a lot of money sprucing it up...redeveloping shopping, restaurants and attractions...and continues spending money on police protection, garbage clean-up, etc. They also spend some money on a free shuttle bus system called the "Passport"...

You would be in WALKING DISTANCE of lots of restaurants and shops...and in a safe area in which to walk...

And you would be close to the Carnival pier.

There is only ONE hotel on your list that qualifies as being in this area: the Courtyard Long Beach Downtown...

The Days Inn is in a particular unattractive area...Next door is an Auto Transmission repair shop...Across from that is the U-Haul Trailer rental lot...Across the street is a Junior College and some more auto repair places...also some boarded up businesses...Trust me, you do NOT want to stay here...

The Quality Inn is in a largely industrial area...it is surrounded by Fast Food places (Del Taco, Jack in the Box), Auto body and repair shops and a self-service laundromat...

The Long Beach Marriott is AT the airport...There is nothing there BUT the airport...None of these hotels are really anywhere near the Cruise pier...

The Quality Inn offers you a free shuttle to the pier because they have to give you SOMETHING to get you to stay there...

The Courtyard Inn Downtown is at 1st and Linden...You are at about a 6-8 block easy walk of tons of restaurants and shops along Pine Street, at the Pike, along Ocean Avenue, etc.

The City's FREE Passport Shuttle will take you from Pine and 1st Street to Shoreline Village, the Queen Mary and the Aquarium of the Pacific...

The Courtyard is NOT the most convenient hotel in the Convention Center area...The Hyatt, Westin, Renaissance and Avia beat it for convenience/location...but it IS at least within reasonable walking distance...and the area is fairly nice...You cannot say that about the other hotels on your list...

And, you will not mind being here without a car...You can get around easily to all that you will need...and you will have many good choices for dinner...

If you stay in ANY of those others, you will feel stranded and relatively uncomfortable...like you've been dumped out in the wrong part of town...

PLEASE trust me...

http://www.lbtransit.com/services/passport.aspx

Thanks for your advice.

We will be arriving late afternoon after a 15 hour flight with a 5 year old and 2 7 year olds so I really don't see that we are going to be doing very much wandering around or sight seeing :)

We are a family of five and have had issues booking one room for all of us.

I usually call the hotel and see if they are allowed to put five in a room. Some areas it's against the city occupancy or fire regulations to have more than four in a room. When they do allow five sometimes it's a specific room layout they are allowed to do this. We just stayed in Palm Springs for a few days and I had to book a room with a king bed, pull out couch and ask for a rollaway as they did not allow five in a room with double queen beds. Most of the time it's a little crowded but we are only in the room to sleep and shower.

I tend to book hotels using points and entering five always throws the system for a loop so I always check with the hotel first then book with points entering four people in the room.

Thanks for your advice.

We will be arriving late afternoon after a 15 hour flight with a 5 year old and 2 7 year olds so I really don't see that we are going to be doing very much wandering around or sight seeing :)

It sounds as though you are rationalizing just getting the cheapest hotel no matter what it is and where it is.

I strongly believe that, in the greater Los Angeles area, that is NEVER a good strategy. I think that even a simple overnight stay should be at least a pleasant and safe experience. Were it me, I would always pay a few dollars more for a nicer hotel in a nicer neighborhood--especially in a city with which I was unfamiliar. Wrong parts of town and you will find traffic noise, unsavory elements in and around your hotel and other diastractions...

Even coming off a 15 hour flight, I assume you might want to take your family out for a nice, quiet dinner. without a car, you might need toor want to walk a block or two. Then I assume you want a comfortable night of sleep...with some security and a little soundproofing in the walls...And, the next morning, you may want to venture out an find a good cup of coffee or just check out the area...

But, I do not know you...Perhaps you are different...

But, please, before you book ANY "bargain" hotel, try to find at least one local who would recommend staying there...

Good luck...

Once again, thank you for your advice.

This is not our first visit. I am not trying to justify anything. I do want a cheap room and was hoping others had some names of places that would happily accept 5 in a room.

In my OP I specifically said I was after somewhere basic.

This is the first night of a very long trip and is in fact the 5th trip to America that our family has taken in recent years so while I appreciate your advice I do not need any more on this subject, thank you :)

I would go with the QI since it has a free shuttle. I just did a fake booking (since you didn't mention a date) for the 1st week in June and got a price of $120 for a 2 bedroom suite w/a rollaway.

Bruin Steve is good if you want to know about an area. But I have learned that he likes to stay in the better places.

Here is the Trip Advisor review for the hotel. There is a pizza place, donut shop and a Subway (fast food) restaurant next door in the little strip mall. There is also a Jack-In-The-Box down the street and a Del Taco across the street (both fast food places).

I googled the place and the area looks fine. It isn't a fancy area, but if you're just looking for a place to stay for the night, it should be fine.

Archived