Cupcake classes

I didn't give it much thought to pre book it which you can under specialty restaurant reserv. "Surely my adult children (DS,DIL,DD) would have no interest"..."WRONG"...they signed up as soon as we got onboard when they saw it. They opted for the 1st sea day luckily as those afternoon sea days fill up quickly..Nice the captain showed up and chatted with all that were participating..Everyone in their class laughed the whole time..They did a hamburger & french fries with all the trimmings !! ..They had a wonderfullly experienced and entertaining pastry chef :D..All the classes on our sailing (Liberty Mar 19th) filled up very quickly and I heard they had to add more..If you're just concerned about the price then you obviously shouldn't sign up and take the place of someone that is going to enjoy this fun activity that most would never consider doing even at home..Class takes about 45 min and you get a cute bakers apron when your done..And those $2.50 cupcakes were a hot item onboard our sailing:p:D

BTW:...JMHO $22.00 wasn't much to pay for the memory, fun and pictures of them doing it....After all it's a vacation..and what better time to do something unexpected !!!!!

Luckily I talked my wife out of doing it. It seemed to be a waste of money. $22 and you only decorate one cupcake. You can sign up once you get on the ship. Plenty of room because not many people were doing it.

"Lucky" for your wallet.. Maybe not so for your wife.. Somethings at certain times in life are "priceless"...:rolleyes:

215482_10150168209858113_682718112_6769089_3227739_n.jpg

This is a pic of my 6 year old son in the class a few weeks ago. Fun for kids, probably pretty boring for teens and adults. It's not very advanced, and nothing you can't do at home for the cost of cake mix and frosting. Kinda silly really, but the little kids liked it.:D

On FOS it was $15 for kids, $22 for adults, class was about 20-25 minutes long, and the kids/adult classes are seperate. You simply go to the cupcake shop and sign up on a paper, you pay at the time of the class.

My daughter did this and had a blast. Word to the adults contemplating this...it's $7 extra for adults and you will likely be the only one there. Every time we saw a class going on it was all children (mostly girls). They last about 15 minutes.

I did this on my Oasis sailing last week and admit, sticker shock issue aside, it was a lot of fun! We did the hamburger and fries....

The two ladies who staff the Cupcake Cupboard are among the warmest, friendliest, and happiest staffers on the ship -- and boy do they make an awesome key lime cupcake! Delish...

I would like more information too. It sounds like there are two separate classes. Kids w/parents and adults. If this is the case, I would hope they would let my 15dd do the adult class with me. She has already made some amazing decorated cupcakes, so I think she would like this.

I would like more information too. It sounds like there are two separate classes. Kids w/parents and adults. If this is the case, I would hope they would let my 15dd do the adult class with me. She has already made some amazing decorated cupcakes, so I think she would like this.

There were two younger girls -- I'm guessing around 12-13 -- in our adult class last week. Their parents weren't even participating. As long as there's room, I'm sure there will be no problem. As I mentioned earlier, the two women who run the shop are super nice and friendly.

I was going to (pre)book this for DD(22) and myself. We do a lot of fun and funky baking at home, down to making fondant and cakes (from scrach-forget the box!) Ok, boxed cakes can be very helpful, I admit. Anyway, it seems pointless to spend $44 dollars on maybe 30 minutes of cupcake decorating when in fact they are most likely merely instructing you how to decorate and not how to prepare and make - ie: make the fondant that is used. If it is just placement of the premade fries/hamburger etc, for us it will probably just eat up time we could be doing something else (or create our own "cupcake tasting"...Plus, the chocies arent huge, I have only read about this hamburger cupcake and one other, i think it was an animal?

Someone pleaseeee correct me if Im wrong, I thought it might be more in depth, but if they just give you a blank cupcake and the trimmings and instruct you how to place them...it isnt worth it for us. I do think this is a wonderful option for parents with younger kids! I'll have to wait for my kids to get married and have kids so I can do it with a grandkid. :eek::eek::eek:

The kids class is $15 and it was for 11 and under

The adults class is $22 and for 12 and over. I tried to get my 11yr old in the adult class, but they wouldn't allow it. The kids class was way too 'young' for her. The little ones seemed to enjoy it. She was kinda disappointed with the experience. I wish we had just taken that $15 and bought cupcakes with it instead !!!

Do not expect a gourmet cupcake out of it!!!!

Attached is a picture of the 'Alex the Lion' cupcake they made.

cupcake.jpg.0aa45d8f4fad4cb15f71d41174a1cb18.jpg

I've already signed my DD and me up for the adult class on the LOS this June. She will also be 15 and is always making creative cupcakes. It seemed like there were limited classes when I signed up so if you want a specific time - I would pre-book this on-line.

When you think about how much you're spending on the trip in general - the $44 dollars doesn't amount to much!:D

I've already signed my DD and me up for the adult class on the LOS this June. She will also be 15 and is always making creative cupcakes. It seemed like there were limited classes when I signed up so if you want a specific time - I would pre-book this on-line.

When you think about how much you're spending on the trip in general - the $44 dollars doesn't amount to much!:D

No wonder the US has budget problems

I took this class in February on the Oasis. The ladies are the sweetest. The class big disappointment. The website says it lasts 2 hours. It lasts 45 minutes. You do more cutting of the cake and fondant than you do decorating. You get two little paper cones of icing with no tip just a hole cut off the end that you pipe icing on for the ketchup and mustard. So if you want to make a silly hamburger cupcake that costs $22 (the apron is cute) go for it. If you want to decorate cupcakes and learn something useful book a class at home at your local Michaels. I wish I would have used the money on something else. I was so disappointed I gave the cupcake to our room steward she acted excited but she was also very sweet.(Might have faked that excitement). The kids might like it. They will schedule more classes if they fill up. Oh I prebooked and then they called me while onboard and changed my time. Screwed up my schedule as I like to have everything planned. Kind of got me off to a bad start with the class. :(

My daughter (19) and I took the class, and really enjoyed it. We would do it again. These events are what stick in your mind long after the vacation is over.

If the price seems high, then you shouldn't do it. Everyone has different priorities; that's why the ship has so many different activities.

I agree, you're paying for the memories and a fun hour or so together. Plus I believe it's already been mentioned that there is a souvenier apron included in that price.

I was going to (pre)book this for DD(22) and myself. We do a lot of fun and funky baking at home, down to making fondant and cakes (from scrach-forget the box!) Ok, boxed cakes can be very helpful, I admit. Anyway, it seems pointless to spend $44 dollars on maybe 30 minutes of cupcake decorating when in fact they are most likely merely instructing you how to decorate and not how to prepare and make - ie: make the fondant that is used. If it is just placement of the premade fries/hamburger etc, for us it will probably just eat up time we could be doing something else (or create our own "cupcake tasting"...Plus, the chocies arent huge, I have only read about this hamburger cupcake and one other, i think it was an animal?

Someone pleaseeee correct me if Im wrong, I thought it might be more in depth, but if they just give you a blank cupcake and the trimmings and instruct you how to place them...it isnt worth it for us. I do think this is a wonderful option for parents with younger kids! I'll have to wait for my kids to get married and have kids so I can do it with a grandkid. :eek::eek::eek:

My daughter, who is 11, and I did the adult class on the Oasis a few weeks ago. The class lasted 25 minutes and was okay. They basically give you 3 undecorated cupcakes and there is some cutting involved. You have to cut the cupcakes to make the hamburger patties and the bun. You also cut out the french fries (from the cupcakes) and cut the pickles out of candy. They use gum paste for the ketchup and mustard and that is already in the icing bags. I wouldn't do it again, but it was something different and kinda cute. The class was full and people were trying to sign up as we were doing it. My main disappointment was that the website stated it was an hour and it only lasted 25 minutes. We also got an apron, so that was some of the cost.

Cup-cake making classes, Really? I thought those were like the easiest thing to bake. Whats next Orange juice making class? Scrambled eggs? Toast? People go on a vacation to do this? Maybe they can have "bed-making" or "window washing" classes next. But you have to pay..LOL

Cup-cake making classes, Really? I thought those were like the easiest thing to bake. Whats next Orange juice making class? Scrambled eggs? Toast? People go on a vacation to do this? Maybe they can have "bed-making" or "window washing" classes next. But you have to pay..LOL

The napkin folding or the animal towel class might interest you ;):D

I don't think it's about the baking as much as the decorating.

My daughter, who is 11, and I did the adult class on the Oasis a few weeks ago. The class lasted 25 minutes and was okay. They basically give you 3 undecorated cupcakes and there is some cutting involved. You have to cut the cupcakes to make the hamburger patties and the bun. You also cut out the french fries (from the cupcakes) and cut the pickles out of candy. They use gum paste for the ketchup and mustard and that is already in the icing bags. I wouldn't do it again, but it was something different and kinda cute. The class was full and people were trying to sign up as we were doing it. My main disappointment was that the website stated it was an hour and it only lasted 25 minutes. We also got an apron, so that was some of the cost.

Thank you for a more in depth description, I really appreciate it! Like I said, DD and I are very "into cupcake"- a new trend all over. She has made fondant and done this at home, actually her last batch of cupcakes were fab. Chocolate grapefruit cupcakes and unfortunately I forgot the flavor of buttercream. I was surprised how great the flavors were and how pretty they looked. Still an option for us, maybe. it just isnt AS exciting as we thought it might be. then, I keep thinking how she might be able to teach them a thing or two, lol. LAst cruise she was picked to go on stage with the head pastry chef and the CD and do the cake show!! Then they delivered the cake to our MDR table for dessert. It looked excellent and tasted great. I want to go watch the video of her on stage now!! [there are pictures in my last review titled Team K - link below]

Thanks again for sharing your experience!

No wonder the US has budget problems

If you are looking at cruising as it relates to the global economic crisis, then really none of us should be cruising at all in the first place, forget about a little cupcake class. Cruising itself is a huge waste of money, resources and fuel (but it's FUN, and here we all are still doing it).;)

This is just a silly statement. :confused:

Archived