i-phone

Only if you are in an AT&T area where you normally have coverage. I know I'll be able to use my iPhone in St. Thomas...I haven't checked Nassau or St. Maarten yet.

AT&T does have some shipboard options but it is expensive.

If I use my I-phone to check email while inboard, is the cost covered by my (unlimited) data plan?

Not if you are roaming on the ships sat or in a foreign port which would mean you would also be roaming. St Thomas and San Juan are US and wouldn't incur any additional charges to your AT&T plan. Make sure you have "data roaming" turned off and you wouldn't have to worry. There currently aren't any AT&T data plans that cover cruise ships.....data roaming is VERY costly.

The international plan doesn't apply to the shipboard charges. You would be paying the ship's rates, which are hefty because they are connected via satellite. I would consider taking a wifi only device for use when reading email. You could incur both data and cellular charges while on board if you don't know how to turn those features off when not in use. You do NOT want that bill when it comes. Search this site if you want examples.

Thanks for clarifying on the international data plan! I should have mentioned that, but am too busy multi-tasking. ;)

On the bright side, we just received our iPhone bill from our Allure cruise last month... it was "only" $100 more than normal. :D

Thanks!

Now a couple of more if you don't mind.......... My service is Verizon, not AT & T. Does that make a difference?

Also, what about checking voice mail?

I can check email using the ships PC's & our free minutes. Will it also cost an arm & a leg to check voicemail or does that happen offline?

Thanks!

Now a couple of more if you don't mind.......... My service is Verizon, not AT & T. Does that make a difference?

I can check email using the ships PC's & our free minutes. Will it also cost an arm & a leg to check voicemail or does that happen offline?

Still an arm and a leg if you check voice mail, make a call or receive a call, text, etc. if you are using the ship's tower. :eek:

The rates will be lower if you use international minutes/texting while in port if you need to check in, but check with your carrier for specific rates.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Verizon did have an international data plan that did apply to ships....HOWEVER they have recently dropped it....so no difference with Verizon.

Thanks!

Verizon dropped there unlimited international data plan at the same time they started selling iPhones. Checking voice mail will be charged at $2.49/minute, just like a regular phone call. Depending on your ports, it is cheaper to connect while in port as some ports are as low as 69 cents per minute.

Has anyone tried the 3G network with their Kindle at sea? I'm not talking about the regular Kindle where you need the ships Wifi but the new 3G Kindle.

We were in Cancun in March and if I wanted to check my e-mails on my laptop I had to pay for wifi from the hotel, similar to what would happen on a ship. But I had no problem checking my e-mails through my Kindle's 3G and sending e-mails out, the Kindle is a little awkward and cumbersome to use the G-mail and browser but it was handy and free.

Ok.... there is a AT&T cruise ship plan, although it stinks. It has been discussed on CC. Here is the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1373688

Verizon has a similarly horrible plan: http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Cruise_Ships/index.html

Not sure about the Kindle. I was able to download when I was aboard NCL Gem in the Med last summer but who knows what I was hooking into... Typically if there is a 3G signal you'll get a download on it. My best advice, howver, is to download before you sail.

Thanks all!

Looks like the phone stays in the safe & only comes out when we're in port.

Put your iPhone in airplane mode and you will not have any cost.

AND you can use many apps. We take the Compass and enter things we want to do in the calendar. Use the camera and an app called labelbox. When I meet a new person I add them to my contacts complete with pic.

Ok.... there is a AT&T cruise ship plan, although it stinks. It has been discussed on CC. Here is the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1373688

Verizon has a similarly horrible plan: http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Cruise_Ships/index.html

Not sure about the Kindle. I was able to download when I was aboard NCL Gem in the Med last summer but who knows what I was hooking into... Typically if there is a 3G signal you'll get a download on it. My best advice, howver, is to download before you sail.

My question was nothing to do with downloading, I will download books etc before the cruise. It was about using the e-mail or browser that is on a 3g kindle.

Has anyone tried the 3G network with their Kindle at sea? I'm not talking about the regular Kindle where you need the ships Wifi but the new 3G Kindle.

We were in Cancun in March and if I wanted to check my e-mails on my laptop I had to pay for wifi from the hotel, similar to what would happen on a ship. But I had no problem checking my e-mails through my Kindle's 3G and sending e-mails out, the Kindle is a little awkward and cumbersome to use the G-mail and browser but it was handy and free.

If anyone knows more about using the 3G Kindle at sea I'd appreciate it. I'm looking to buy one now but I wasn't going to get it with 3G, but I didn't realize you could use it to check email! Even if it doesn't work at sea but works in the ports that would be fine.

My question was nothing to do with downloading, I will download books etc before the cruise. It was about using the e-mail or browser that is on a 3g kindle.

Something new for me to check out! I have a 3g Kindle but I didn't know I had email or browser on it. Thanks.:D

If anyone knows more about using the 3G Kindle at sea I'd appreciate it. I'm looking to buy one now but I wasn't going to get it with 3G, but I didn't realize you could use it to check email! Even if it doesn't work at sea but works in the ports that would be fine.

The kindle 3G DOES work at sea. I tried it on Radiance of the Seas and the Carnival Spirit. It connects to the ship's satellite tower although slowly. You must be patient. I tried to download a sample of a book just to be sure it was working. It worked. It was definitely not connected to wifi. IT will not say 3G or EDGE in the upper right hand corner but it will say GPRS whatever that means.

I tried navigating pages with the experimental browser and it was hit and miss. The satellite seems to fade in and out. You could technically retrieve your web based email if you are patient enough and if the satellite signal is strong. Try different locations on the ship - like your balcony.

I was able to pull up my facebook page but it's a hassle to use - you know how the browser works...no mouse or touch pad. Trying to surf?....forget it. It's too much trouble.

I did download a book in Mexico that I pre-ordered at home. It was to arrive on April 1 while in San Diego. Then it was delayed until the 3rd...then the 4th...then it the book popped in while I wasn't looking after I had connected to the Mexican 3G network.

Gina

Something new for me to check out! I have a 3g Kindle but I didn't know I had email or browser on it. Thanks.:D

Go into the settings and check out the experimental mode. You can play your own MP3s on it but only in the order they were loaded. You can have your book read to you by the kindle voice - most books are text to voice capable. But be ready for some funny pronunciations. :)

And of course there is the experimental browser that is slow going. I played with it for fun on the ship but it's not worth the time involved.

Gina

If I use my I-phone to check email while inboard, is the cost covered by my (unlimited) data plan?

Quite simply....yes you can. And you can do it all for free as long as you are using the ship's wifi with free internet coupons from the C&A booklet.

Keep the phone in airplane mode and turn wifi back on. Your apps will work, too.

To save time just download all your mail and then disconnect immediately. You'll need to save the log on/ log off page on your safari browser in order to disconnect. Read and respond to your email while off line. It will go into your outbox and you can log back on later and send it all at once.

If you don't have free wifi, you will pay the going rate for wifi on the ship but no cellular fees as long as you are in airplane mode. International data roaming is irrelevant as long as you stay in airplane mode.

It's important to log off manually or you will be connected until the ship's system detects several minutes of inactivity. It may be only 3 minutes...but it adds up quickly over an entire cruise if you don't log yourself off.

Gina

Archived