Kids Club Basic Questions

gail-s

In July we're taking DD 9 on her first cruise to Bermuda. We think she'll enjoy the kids club, but we really have no idea how it works.

Could someone give me the basic run down on the kids club and how it works? I've read the dailies and it looks like there are alot of family activities and then there are other non-family activities.

When we get on the ship do we bring her to the club to sign her up? Does she have to be there all day or can she go part of the day and spend time with us?

Since we'll be at sea quite a bit, I think she'll enjoy spending time with other kids. I think I'm more nervous than she is about it.

My daughter was 9 on our last cruise with NCL, and she LOVED the kids club. We booked another cruise to Bermuda that leaves in a couple of weeks...and her only request was that she be able to hang out in the kids club as much as she wants. )we'll see on that one ;) ).

On the first day (embarkation), you go to the kids club area and sign her up. The whole family can go to meet the kids staff and check out the space. You need to sign some paperwork with her name, parents names, allergies, special considerations, age, cabin #, etc.

She won't be able to stay and play until the evening on the first day (7:00 pm I think??).

Every time you take her, you'll have to show your key card (and maybe hers), then they pull off her wristband from a ring. It will have her name, etc on it. When you go back to pick her up, you show your key card again to be able to take her out. They take back her wristband until next time you bring her. You may find if you bring her a lot, they may become more relaxed with your key card when dropping her off, but will still need to show it to pick her up.

The last 2 times on the Jewel, she had pirate parties and ship parades, made personalized t-shirts on the final night, had a pj party, water fights, games, scavenger hunts, free play, etc.

When you sign her up on the first day, you can pick up a kids' club daily... similar to the freestyle daily, but just for her age group in the kids' club. It will list all of the events that will go on all week. They will all be broken down by times and there will also be 'free play' times.

My daughter has met all kinds of 'best friends' in the kids club. It's hard to get her out of there!!!

One thing to note....it's free from 9:00 am - 10 pm on sea days. While the ship is in port, they can still go, but it's $6.00 per hour...we have never done this, we only send her on 'free times'. Also, after 6 pm there is a $6.00 per hour charge.

Sorry if I have rambled...if you have any other questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

One more thing...you can take her in and out throughout the day. The only time it may be a problem is if the group has gone to see the main show in Stardust. Then you'll need to get her either before or after the show. You will know if they are leaving the kids club area by reading the kids' club schedule. If you don't want her to leave the area, just pick her up before the time posted.

Just wanted to add a quick correction to travelloverontario's great review. When kids club is open for no charge it goes until 10 or 10:30 pm before they begin the night group sitting fee of $6 an hour. I think it was just a misprint:)

My daughter loves kids club, but I only take her for the specific activites of interest to her (which I find in kids club freestyle- list of all kids club activities for the entire cruise that you get when you sign her up). It always seems like the last sea day has so many fun activites in the club and family activities outside kids club that I sign her in and out around four times:P There is only space on the sheet for three times, but they have me write on the side, so don't let the sign in sheet fool you. She will love it! Have fun!

I mentioned it to her last night and she asked couldn't she just sit in the kids pool all day. Oy. I'm hoping as soon as she gets in there she takes a liking to it. I think she'd be bored with us all day on the sea days.

My son is only 5 but LOVES the kids club. He can't get there fast enough. They had cupcake decorating, pizza making, prince/princess parade, decorating t-shirts.

I saw another thread which had copies of the kids club schedule. Maybe you could look at it with her and see if there might be anything to interest her?

My daughter is a bit older, she will be 12 by the time we do our cruise. As she's a June baby, seems most of her friends are mostly a year older than her. She will be in 7th grade at cruise time in November. We've been told that she will have to be in the 10-12 group, so we are a bit concerned that the activities for that age group might be geared a bit young for her. Anyone have any idea what types of activities they have for the 10-12 group?

Anyone have any idea what types of activities they have for the 10-12 group?

Here's the Kid's Crew schedule for the Sun in February. Based on my experience, it's basically the same for most ships - although the larger ships may have more family activities i.e. pool games, cupcake decorating, etc.

My dd was 12 (almost 13) and in the 7th grade on the last cruise and she was happy to be with other 12 year olds. The teen program is a lot less structured...sorry don't have the program for that group.

Kids2_5.pdf

Kids6_9.pdf

Kids10_12.pdf

Here's the Kid's Crew schedule for the Sun in February. Based on my experience, it's basically the same for most ships - although the larger ships may have more family activities i.e. pool games, cupcake decorating, etc.

My dd was 12 (almost 13) and in the 7th grade on the last cruise and she was happy to be with other 12 year olds. The teen program is a lot less structured...sorry don't have the program for that group.

Thanks for the schedules. Looks like plenty of stuff for the kids to do. I'm sure my DD will have a blast at the Kid's Crew

My daughter is a bit older, she will be 12 by the time we do our cruise. As she's a June baby, seems most of her friends are mostly a year older than her. She will be in 7th grade at cruise time in November. We've been told that she will have to be in the 10-12 group, so we are a bit concerned that the activities for that age group might be geared a bit young for her. Anyone have any idea what types of activities they have for the 10-12 group?

Ds was 12, and didn't like the club, but he had a friend onboard, so they just stuck together on the ship.

Thanks for this info. We will be taking our 3 year old on her first cruise this September. I'm really hoping she will enjoy the kids club. Mommy and Daddy will need a bit of a break here and there to eh hem..."gamble" :D

Were taking a 15 day on the ncl star in October if our 3 year old doesn't like the activities we may have to pay her to go anyways!!! 15 days is enough time we better get some free time!!

Archived