Don't give up trying for HC unit

Mindy97

I've booked what I'd call "late" for a WC accessible HC unit several times now with Princess, and have gotten one each time. Not the cheapest, generally a balcony, but still...

Each time has been six months or less, not a year out. I did the 4 day then 7 day B2B on Sapphire over Christmas last year. I had to change cabins (bummer), but they helped me, and it was only across the ship. I booked that in late August of the same year, so I can't complain. Less than four months out for Christmas.

I had a booking for Thanksgiving of this year on Island Princess. I didn't get a HC Cabin, thinking maybe I wouldn't need it (bad choice! I can't walk that much and also use POC). The more I thought about it the more I knew it wouldn't work. Island doesn't have that many HC cabins. But I emailed my agent yesterday, and she pulled another rabbit out of the hat! I got an HC Balcony Cabin, and the fare went down, too.

So don't give up, and don't think you HAVE TO book a year out. I try to, but sometimes you just can't.

M.

I had a very pleasant experience with Royal Caribbean on my last cruise. It seems the Special Needs department at RCI is doing a jam up job of making sure passengers who reserve an accessible cabin really need it and they are doing their best to hold onto those cabins as long as they possibly can.

I am paraplegic and totally wheelchair bound so I HAVE to have a handicap accessible cabin.

I originally booked a wheelchair accessible inside cabin on the Radiance of the Seas about 10 months from sail date. About 30 days before sail date, I noticed a huge price drop on oceanview cabins which were the same as I paid for an inside cabin.

Knowing how quickly accessible cabins book up, I figured I didnt have a chance in the world at upgrading but decided to call and ask anyway. Much to my surprise, they still had handicap accessible oceanview cabins available only a month away from sail date.

I was able to upgrade for 0.00. :)

We usually book well ahead of time. My DD is a paraplegic too. 22 y.o. Anyways, we always book an interior room and I happended to realize we booked a HC interior with pullmans instead of a pull out couch. I tried upgrading and I knew it would be a little higher for the next floor up but it ended up being $1400 more!

Needelss to say, I will be climbing the stairs to go to bed.

Archived