would you do randi's happy horses?

rsjj

if you have 2 young children? (3 & 6) anyone who's done it, please let me know of your experiences. we are not "horse people"...will be traveling in august...our oldest have only been on a pony ONCE...what do you all think?

my wife and i did randi's in jan. we are not proudes or the like, but ours was not the same as we read on other threads.randi is a likeable lady and her help are not the best in english. the trip starts out by going to the water taxi dock. when we got there the local fishing fleet was cleaning there catch, stink and 1m pelicans, we had to push them out of the way so we could walk. water taxi was a overloaded row boat!!! island was a throughback to mexico as it was 100 years ago. the horses were dirty and the tack in bad need of repair. the beach was great and victors was a beach shack, but everyone raved about the shrimp, i looked at the kitchen and drank some bottled water. randi said that only a couple of people ever fell off in all her years there, but one lady fell that day and the next day she was sore!!! just remember these people have no insurance on you. this is our feeling from our time at randi's we would not do it again.

Don & Mary...I think you had big expectations of this ride. This tour is for the people that love the outdoors and like to see what it was like 100 years ago. I've been on the ride twice and love it. The horses are gentle, the team of Randis is great with the people and if someone fell off, there must have been a reason. Maybe too many Margaritas? As for the pelicans, where do you think you are? The desert? Of course there will be birds around the water.

You just sound like you decided from the get-go that you weren't going to have any fun.

I would tell everyone that it's a fun ride, if you can sit up. There is no reason anyone should just fall off a horse.

don&mary M...thank you for your honest opinion! i really appreciate it. and yes, i am afraid of people falling off the horse. not mainly for my DH or myself, cuz we are adults, and i suppose we can "hold on", i hope! but i am concerned about our 2 DSs. and if a lady can fall off, it's more likely that a child will??!!

Solrpwrd...did you do this with your children? i think we (DH & i) will enjoy this particular excursion, but i was more concerned about our DSs.

again, thank you for all of your honest opinions, suggestions, advice, etc. i can take more! please post!

Please go ride with Mike's Gentle Horses you can find his address here somewhere.

They don't really care much except for the money but you will be happier with the I don't care attitude. I think Randi and her team would be happier as would her team and I am, again riding, I think on the same day, go with Mike.

She cares.

Buck and Sharon Gilbert

I think if you do a search for Randi on this board you will see that she handles children well. We rode with her in June and it was the highlight of our trip and we still talk about her these days. I think the negative poster was expecting more of a "spa-like, resort" trip instead of genuine Mexico. You definitely see the real Mexico on this trip and it is eye-opening and a wonderful experience. Her horses are well cared for and her staff is AWESOME!! Maria is working very hard to learn English and Antonio's service is top notch. He or Maria will walk the horse with the smaller ones on them even. Randi is from California and cares about nothing more than the enjoyment of her riders. Chris is a sensational host at Victors and you MUST try the onion rings!! You will not be disappointed in your trip if you are going in with the correct expectation. Of all of the reviews that you read, you will see that she is well loved by her riders.

The negative responder simply needs to stay with resort type trips instead of experiencing the genuine culture of where they are visiting.

Feel free to read about our trip in the review in my signature. There is even a link to some of our pictures.

We have ridden with Randi twice now. A plush resort it is not. Stone Island is as most of Mexico was 50 years ago and the people like it that way. The water taxi starts off with pelicans all over the place - they are cleaning fish there - my grandkids loved it. The water taxi is not overloaded - everyone has to put on lifejackets. The place where we start the ride is actually someones home and at first we were shocked that people live that way but they were happy with little children running around. There were babies (horse type) born the day before we got there and everyone was so proud. Also a baby possum was being cared for as a pet. My grandkids got to pet it. The horses are very well cared for and Maria and Tony take really good care of the riders. Victors is wonderful. Chris is a good waiter (and cute). No, the kitchen is not like here at the States but we or anyone else ever got sick. And we love Randi. Yes she lived here in No. Ca for a time. She loves what she does and is fun to talk to. She knows her horses, having dealt with them her whole life. Take her a horse magazine and she is in 7th heaven. It is a great tour for adults and children alike. We won't forget it and will do it again.

I know Randi has certain horses for children and like

Susie said they(Tony..Marisa..LuLu ect.) will hold the reins of the

childrens horses and walk them if thats what you want.

I think you have to know your children, the 6 year old no problem,

you have to decide on the 3 year old. You know you can get just

transportation to the island with Randi. Had a 2 yr old in our group

in Jan. She and the one watching her just took the transportation

and other 11 of us rode, one was a girl who been riding since she was 6, her third time riding with us. She loves it!. You have to remember this

is like Old Mexico..nothing fancy. Beautiful beach..great ride..

outdoor eating..this isn't a rich island. It's an island of family's.

Working to make a living.

I've gone three times, I love it! Love Randi and her crew..the ride and

the food.

My DH and I do not like to "rough it" (our normal idea of roughing it is no room service) but we LOVED Randi's Happy Horses! She is a wonderful woman who really enjoys her business. We had five in our group and my DD had never been riding before. She thought it was the best. The horses are easy to control and I can not see how someone could fall off unless they let go of the reigns.

I have been riding numerous times before and I actually had a horse rub me off on a tree one time onto a pile of rocks. I was laid up for 10 days and that was here in US. Randi's horses are very gentle and easy to ride. Her assistants are right there with everyone and keep an eye on all riders. We had another family with small children ride with us and Maria stayed with the youngest the whole time.

I would high recommend Randi!

My DH and I do not like to "rough it" (our normal idea of roughing it is no room service) but we LOVED Randi's Happy Horses! She is a wonderful woman who really enjoys her business. We had five in our group and my DD had never been riding before. She thought it was the best. The horses are easy to control and I can not see how someone could fall off unless they let go of the reigns.

I have been riding numerous times before and I actually had a horse rub me off on a tree one time onto a pile of rocks. I was laid up for 10 days and that was here in US. Randi's horses are very gentle and easy to ride. Her assistants are right there with everyone and keep an eye on all riders. We had another family with small children ride with us and Maria stayed with the youngest the whole time.

I would highly recommend Randi!

Oh no! I've never heard of anyone dissing Randi before now! We had such a great time. It was WAY better than we expected. The food was awesome. I would never even EXPECT her aides to speak English, for Heaven's sake we're IN Mexico. Everyone at Victor's and all of Randi's aides were extremely helpful. Tony picked a mango off a tree and started peeling it for my husband and I. The horses were so gentle and sweet. There was a 6 year old on the trip and his horse followed a lead horse, stopped when he stopped, etc.... Very cute! And the little boy had quite the personality, but his little horse kept him safe and happy. (The boy wanted to giddy-up, LOL) I think you get out of it what you want out of it by being a good customer. The peddlers that did visit were shoo'd away from Randi and they knew they need to keep her happy. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Our next cruise doesn't stop in Mazatlan unfortunately because we're taking our kids this time and we really wanted them to experience Randi's. I don't know about the 3 yr. old, sorry.

Jenne

Gotta laugh. There was no divorce. Miguel and Randi were never married lol just business partners.

From what I understand the cart would still be an option if there was a need but nobody wants to do it sooo the cart horse is now a mom. At least that is what we were told and saw the baby.

Yes, take her a horse magazine and you might even get an extra beer out of it. LOL

Contrary to posts on other threads Randi is always on time and Tony, her main helper does speek very well in English. Maria and Lulu do their best, but as said, isn't that part of visiting Mexico or any other country. Getting to know the people and have fun.

Not critise the way the choose to live, heck they could do the same with many of us who are married to payments.

The poster was refering to an issolated insident and the parameds were called immediatly by Randi and transportation back to the ship was arranged by her by cell phone.

She just had a bruised shoulder.

I am angered that the poster neglected to mention the attention to detail of all that was given to the woman.

The parameds, that were at Victors even had Roboxin to give her, and at another table was an American or Canadian nurse who assured the woman that those were the correct thing to take.

Just had to give my read on things as they happened. Randi was right there the entire time and did the best that could be done.

This would be Buck and Sharon Gilbert signing off:D

It sounds like Don and Mary need to keep their travel isolated to the United States. Expecting people IN Mexico to speak English is ridiculous. When you have ridiculous expectations, you are bound to be disappointed. We are riding with Randi in two weeks, and we are very excited. We're taking both our 8-year-old daughter and 17-year-old son. I, for one, can't wait to experience an authentic part of Mexico, and we will all attempt to use what little Spanish we know, because that is the language spoken in Mexico. Nothing gets my goat more than someone who puts a travel destination down because it is not exactly as they are used to here in the U.S. If you can't handle any change, why travel?

We sailed the Pride last summer ( two couples - early 50's) and Randi's tour was the highlight of not only that cruise - but ranks up there with one of the best we've ever expereinced. We all love to cruise - and ride. This was not a nose to tail trip - Maria & Miguel were WONDERFUL. The ride ( run for some of us) down the beach - a lifetime memory. Can't say enough wonderful things about Randi - and her team. Go! You'll love it.......and you do experience what life must have been like 50 - 100 years ago.

for all your input! i really appreciate it!

one more question...if i do end up booking with her, and if i need to cancel, would that be possible? does anyone know? i guess i can email her and ask...but maybe others have done this? and i'm hoping it's no problem, provided that i give her enough time of notice for cancellation?

gosh, i sound so wishy-washy now. honestly, i really want to do this, but am worried about our DSs. i want to take them, so they can enjoy it too. i still have time to decide, i suppose!

Just e-mail Randi and let her know your concerns. She will definitely asuage any fears you have. I was terrified to go, but as previously mentioned, have been 3 times now. There were little kids on ponies when I went one time. They won't have any problems. If you decide after you've booked you just can't go through with it, just let her know before you get there. Have fun.

Candi

If you get to Randi's and your little one doesn't want to ride or you are afraid for him, simply let your DH and other child ride and you go with Randi to the beach and wait for them. The beach is a great place for the little one to play and Victors is wonderful. If that were to happen I believe Randi would only charge you for the transportation - check with her on that.

If you don't ride you will either walk from the pick up place for the horses with Randi or ride in the cart used to transport all the belongings to Victors on the beach. You will not see what the riders see as they go through the coconut grove to the beach and on down the beach in the opposite direction from Victors.

So the non riders actually go with us to where the horses are, and the riders go one way, and the non riders another, right? Is Victor's close to where we pick up the horses?What are the water taxis like? I am sorry to ask all these questions, it is just that my mother in law is going to be a non rider and she would like to know exactly what will happen from point to point. Thank you for your help!

Archived