Does Celebrity Read Any of These Posts? Problems that Remain Unsolved

In Retirement

Dear Readers:

By background, in 2009 I sailed Barcelona/Venice on the Ruby Princess, and had my planning needs well-provided by customer service supervisors with whom I carried on an active email correspondence.

(1) My current experience with Celebrity (with the exception of the person who runs the stockholder benefits process with great competence) is that the email answers I receive to my questions often don't even match my questions! Because of the benefits of Cruise Critic, we have organized a touring group of 18 and want to arrange a meeting during the first day at sea (before any port) and want to look into a breakfast or lunch together in MDR or an hour in an appropriate meeting room. Sounds like it would be simple? I am beginning to anticipate that this problem will yet be unresolved when we leave for Europe. The problem is not on board -- I guess it is in Florida (where plenty of competent/talented people remain unemployed). Don't suggest calling -- I tried and obtained multiple cut-offs when I selected the correct options. When I claimed a new booking, I was placed on hold for 25 minutes and just gave up. Anyone with a person/email address that would improve my chance of actually communicating with the right people?

(2) While I'm at it, need to post an observation. We will visit Tallinn Estonia after our two days in Russia. Quite strangely, our port day starts at 7:00 am and ends at 3:00 pm! (The other large ship in port arrives 8:00 am and departs 6:00 pm.) Our visit is on a Saturday, and I've determined that many stores etc. don't open until 10:00 and that tourist locations and restaurants will open even later. Considering that passengers usually have to return to ship one hour before departure our visit looks like four hours or less of productive time! How does this happen? Considering that we are at sea the next day before an 8:00 arrival in Copenhagen, this does not seem to be a passenger-friendly plan. Should I look forward to walking around in a deserted/sleeping town?

Any wisdom regarding communication with Celebrity would be greatly appreciated. How have you successfully handled such situations?

DJ:)

balticports@yahoo.com

Should I look forward to walking around in a deserted/sleeping town?

I always look forward to walking around when the town is quiet. But then my hobby is photography. If you're at all planning to take any pictures while in Tallinn (a very picturesque place), you will have some nice opportunities at that hour.

Yes, "YOW" -- we can have a couple of (very) quiet hours to walk around undisturbed (if it can be done safely?), but we will really be pushed for the couple of hours we have there to be planned. For example, we want to attend a one-hour organ recital at the Cathedral of Saint Mary the Virgin at noon -- so when we walk out of this church, it looks like we will begin to return to the ship?

Your absolutely immediate response is outstanding! Now if only I receive an email from Celebrity or from someone who has successfully reached a customer service supervisor.

My best,

balticports@yahoo.com

I think that you need to get in email contact with the concierge on the Celebrity ship that you are going to be sailing on. The concierge could help setup this meeting. Unfortunately, you didn't mention which ship you are sailing on in your post, so I can't help you find that person's email here - but you could do it with a simple search - put the ship name and the word concierge to find out who it is.

If you all just want to have breakfast or lunch together, just meet outside the MDR and present yourselves as a group to the Maitre 'd. (Or you could go by when you board and notify him of your group's plans and request the Maitre 'd's assistance in planning two large tables together for all of you away from the other diners so that you don't cause a disturbance with your meeting.)

Tallin is a quite a small city and the walk to/from the ship is not very far - maybe 10-20 mins depending on how fast you walk. The ship docks right near the town. The city is also beautiful to walk around and just admire the marvellous medieval architecture. I'm sure you won't be disappointed and you won't loose too much "tourist" time.

Frankie

We really enjoyed walking around in Tallin. I think you'll enjoy your 4 hours there. We just walked around and saw lots. It's quite a picturesque spot.

I've tried to call X about setting up a cruise critic luncheon on Solstice for Nov. I have been on a telephone merry go round. A fellow cruiser is onboard Solstice now and can't get any answers either. She got me the name of someone to write, snail mail in Miami. I want to let them know that on a certain sea day about 80 of us are going to show up at the MDR for lunch together. You would think they would appreciate a bit of warning and be able to assist. We wanted to select the sea day that would best suit X as we are on a TA with many sea days. When my fellow cruiser asked if we could have a private area for our cruise critic luncheon she was told only if we paid for it.

We've been to cruise critic luncheons before and there didn't seem to be problems that I was aware of setting them up. Any suggestions?

Hey there... I got this information from another post that might help with trying to connect with Celebrity people...

Celebrity Phone Numbers

After seeing a post with a Celebrity phone number for assistance, I thought it might be nice to share the number I have and ask others to also share. So here are the numbers I know about:

There are three numbers to reach Celebrity Travel Agents:

800-647-2251

888-305-9153

888-859-7692

New Reservations ext 3

Existing Reservations ext 4

M-F 8am-Midnight

Weekend 10am-8pm

Captains Club

800-660-0654

M-F 9am-11pm

Weekend 10am-8pm

800-242-6374

Ordering Gifts ext 1

Dining Room Questions ext 2

800-722-5941

Shore Excursions ext 1

Specialty Restaurants ext 2

Drink Packages ext 2

General Website ext 3

Assist Existing Reserve ext 4

Order Brochures

800-235-3274

Choice Air

800-533-7803

New ext 1

Existing ext 2

Shore-to-Ship Calls

877-266-1020

Access Dept - Special Needs

866-592-7225

Special Needs - Private Co

800-513-4515

Care Vacation - Private Co provides oxy and other med/special needs

877-478-7827

Group Bookings (8+ SRs)

888-727-4907

OnLine Check-In

877-200-2897

800-256-6649

Day of Cruise Travel Assist ext 1

Lost Luggage ext 2

Lost and Found ext 2

Corporate

800-256-6649

Also, it has been my cruise experience that ports of call generally are ready for the ship to arrive with almost everything open and available. Not sure for this particular port, but I would be very surprised if the place was shut down when the cruise ships arrive.

Happy Sailing

Wylie

Sorry about the lack of details: Constellation roundtrip AMS 3-15 June 2011.

(1) Have tried both Constellation web site and Google for "Constellation conciege" -- my bet is that this is even a button on the ship's cabin phone, as it a hotel?

(2) From dealing with the Ruby Princess, I had both contact with the team responsible for this ship while in the Mediterranean and also received messages back from the maitre'd for specific options. Really didn't know then how awesome this was! We depart late Friday afternoon and are At Sea the next day. Considering my basic knowledge of dinning room operations and realizing that this process of bringing 18 people together could be like "herding cats," I know that breakfast won't work (too early, can't hold tables). However, if the dinning room knows about us and tells us when lunch service starts they could assign us to one of the two groups of three tables apparently placed as triangles at the far aft of the MDR. This way, we are not disruptive and can talk for a while. Hopefully, by then we will have located an ideal location to collect ourselves and walk off of the ship when docked.

Thanks to Wylie and Dianne. Will let you know if I ever hear from Celebrity. Seems like I'll have to email my only responsive contact I have. I would really prefer to email instead of call (my last option) because I can consider my words and try to be very clear in my communications.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

A couple more thoughts about Tallin -

A great deal of the sightseeing to be done in Tallin does not require going into buildings. The architecture of this ancient city is simply magnificent. And it will surely be safe to walk around, as there will be plenty of other tourists there.

Also, when we were there, there was a bazaar set up between the dock and the lower gate to the city, with a range of local items for sale. I'm pretty sure that they don't adhere to banker's hours; if the tourists are there, they will be open.

And you don't have to be on the ship an hour before sailing; you can leave Tallin at 3:00p and be comfortably on time. That is plenty of time to see the sights, hear your concert, have a bite to eat if you want, and head back.

Tallin was one of our favorite ports on our Baltic cruise (in 2008), and we think you will just love it.

It's possible the Captain's Club might assist you in setting things up:) I was fortunate when I set up a farewell breakfast a few years ago. We had discussed it on our roll call and several of us met for a Sail Away Party, the CD and the Activity director attended..The Activity Director took care of everything, arranging for a separate area of the MDR for the breakfast and sending a notice of all our planned activities to all who had signed up for the Connection's Party. The other option might be to contact the Maitre 'D the day you sail and have them set it up but then you might have a problem notifying other members of the party. Possibly just give everyone a time to meet at the MDR entranceD:) I'm sure others will be chiming in with better info.

Wanted to add that if you are attending a Connections Party, that is usually held the first sea day in the am:)

DJ

Would you mind sharing the email of the responsive person you have contacted. Thank you!

(1) Very happy to pass on this information once I find the right person. Just send me an email to my vacation-specific address posted below.

(2) As for Tallinn, the ship schedule says that the Constellation departs at 3:00 pm. By then I'll know the process, but our experience in the Mediterranean is that we are expected back on board (our presence documented by the scanning of our cruise cards?) one hour before the ship is scheduled to depart? In Tallinn we hope to walk around (already have map from their tourism center and have reviewed a walk-around plan), experience the organ recital, and purchase amber bead necklaces. Will want to locate the best source for competitive price and genuine product, so we are likely to be in one or more stores from 10:00 til noon (especially if I can locate the right shop or businessperson).

balticports@yahoo.com

A great deal of the sightseeing to be done in Tallin does not require going into buildings. The architecture of this ancient city is simply magnificent. And it will surely be safe to walk around, as there will be plenty of other tourists there.

Also, when we were there, there was a bazaar set up between the dock and the lower gate to the city, with a range of local items for sale. I'm pretty sure that they don't adhere to banker's hours; if the tourists are there, they will be open.

And you don't have to be on the ship an hour before sailing; you can leave Tallin at 3:00p and be comfortably on time. That is plenty of time to see the sights, hear your concert, have a bite to eat if you want, and head back.

Tallin was one of our favorite ports on our Baltic cruise (in 2008), and we think you will just love it.

The ship leaves port at 3PM, so if you leave downtown Tallinn at 3PM, your shipmates will most likely be waving goodbye to you and you will be looking for a travel agent to book airfare to Copenhagen or Amsterdam.

The ship will have a "back aboard by time XXX" sign when you get off the ship. I would suggest being back at the ship by that time at the latest.

Most Cruise Critic functions are not scheduled until a few weeks before sailing.

We arranged a dinner one evening just checking a day ahead with the Assistant. We were in the Select dining area. No charges.

Enjoy your cruise. I hope to make that itinerary sometime.

Most Cruise Critic functions are not scheduled until a few weeks before sailing.

We arranged a dinner one evening just checking a day ahead with the Assistant. We were in the Select dining area. No charges.

Enjoy your cruise. I hope to make that itinerary sometime.

Thank you! I was thinking the sooner the better.

We always enjoy an informal Sailaway Toast on the embarkation day--usually meeting CC friends at a designated bar area aftre the life boat drill..all quite informal

it is also possible to meet as group on the brunch at sea day if they have one....work out a time & meeting place & then someone can contact the maitre d when you board to make sure enough tables/seats are set aside for your group...have always found it easier to arrange things once you board!

Wylie: thanks for posting all those contact numbers. I am going to print & save them for future use...

I have to second the comment about the venders right near the ship in Tallin. I found the shops in town to be very expensive, but there were high quality items that were more reasonable right near the ship. Wish I could go back and buy some of the things I didn't because the economy was crashing in 2009 and we weren't sure what was going to happen. I've told my sister what to get when she goes there this year!

I have to second the comment about the venders right near the ship in Tallinn. I found the shops in town to be very expensive, but there were high quality items that were more reasonable right near the ship. Wish I could go back and buy some of the things I didn't because the economy was crashing in 2009 and we weren't sure what was going to happen. I've told my sister what to get when she goes there this year!

Don't leave us guessing. What are your recommendations? Did you see any good amber bead jewelry?

I would guess our economic problems, that have been growing for 10+ years, will continue to haunt us for several more years.

Sorry about the lack of details: Constellation roundtrip AMS 3-15 June 2011.

(1) Have tried both Constellation web site and Google for "Constellation conciege" -- my bet is that this is even a button on the ship's cabin phone, as it a hotel?

(2) From dealing with the Ruby Princess, I had both contact with the team responsible for this ship while in the Mediterranean and also received messages back from the maitre'd for specific options. Really didn't know then how awesome this was! We depart late Friday afternoon and are At Sea the next day. Considering my basic knowledge of dinning room operations and realizing that this process of bringing 18 people together could be like "herding cats," I know that breakfast won't work (too early, can't hold tables). However, if the dinning room knows about us and tells us when lunch service starts they could assign us to one of the two groups of three tables apparently placed as triangles at the far aft of the MDR. This way, we are not disruptive and can talk for a while. Hopefully, by then we will have located an ideal location to collect ourselves and walk off of the ship when docked.

Thanks to Wylie and Dianne. Will let you know if I ever hear from Celebrity. Seems like I'll have to email my only responsive contact I have. I would really prefer to email instead of call (my last option) because I can consider my words and try to be very clear in my communications.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

You might try the Event Coordinator. They will be the one to set you up wirh space.

cs_concierge at celebrity.com or cs_eventcoordinator at celebrity.com

Ric

You might try the Event Coordinator. They will be the one to set you up wirh space.

cs_concierge at celebrity.com or cs_eventcoordinator at celebrity.com

Ric

Ric,

So this should be cs_concierge@celebrity.com or cs_eventcoordinator@celebrity.com?

I believe, unless RCCL gives its employees vacation on Good Friday (how likely is that in the midst of vacation-planning season?), should soon have an answer to my original question as I haven't heard a thing from my posting.

Good luck to all of us,

balticports@yahoo.com

Ric,

So this should be cs_concierge@celebrity.com or cs_eventcoordinator@celebrity.com?

I believe, unless RCCL gives its employees vacation on Good Friday (how likely is that in the midst of vacation-planning season?), should soon have an answer to my original question as I haven't heard a thing from my posting.

Good luck to all of us,

balticports@yahoo.com

That's right. just got an email from sl_eventcoordinator@celebrity.com for the Solstice.

Doesn't the ship LEAVE the port at 3 pm? Therefore the pax usually have to be back onboard, on most of the 40 cruises I have been on, at least 1/2 hr before sailing which is, in this case, 2:30 pm or is there something different about this ship/cruise or port?

Archived