cash on hand?

tjevans

I know I've seen this before, but, since I have only 4 days left 'til my first cruise, I'll ask it again. How much cash do you recommend taking for a 7-day cruise?

We don't want to put any souvenirs or food while on shore on the credit card.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=4>

<param name="day" value=18>

<param name="hour" value=18>

</applet>

Carnival Conquest 4/18/04

That's a hard question to answer not knowing what you will want to buy or do while at the ports. One thing I would recommend is to have plenty of $1 and $5 bills for cabs or tips along the way.

Well, we plan on booking excursions through the cruise, so we don't need $ for that (unless we tip the tour operator).

If time allows, after or before our excursion, we would like to do a little shopping. We don't know what we will want to buy until we see it. We're going to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Coz, but I don't know what's a "good buy" at those places.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=4>

<param name="day" value=18>

<param name="hour" value=18>

</applet>

Carnival Conquest 4/18/04

It really depends on what your spending habits are. I would budget at least $100 per port day and I feel as though we are moderate spenders. Do you plan on a big lunch with drinks? Do you buy a few trinkets or T-shirts, or do you buy jewelry and other pricey objects? You are really the only one with the best answer.

Have a great cruise!

Kathy

• 2 weeks later...

well my husband and i are going to Southern Carribean w. RCCL on May 23rd. And we purchased the excursions in advance, my husband is not a big spender but, Im the big spender in the house and for the both of us for a 7 day cruise Im taking between $1500-1800 for the week we will be away.. I think we shoudl be ok and we miht come back with some cash in our pockets...

Boricua04,

You sound alot like me. That's about how much cash we plan to take with us on our Western Carib cruise. It's just enough to make sure we have a good time. icon_wink.gif

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre>

Until we're on the Explorer of the Seas !

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;10;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

• 6 years later...
Where you carry cash while flying to port?

DH and I both carry small backpacks as our "personal item" in addition to our carry-ons. Cash is divided between us and carried in an inside pocket of our backpacks. With a small amount in our wallets for spending in airports, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
... One thing I would recommend is to have plenty of $1 and $5 bills for cabs or tips along the way.

I do that in my every day life. I always make sure to have plenty of singles and fives so that I can tip (I never want to be again in a situation where I have 20-dollar bills; do I overtip, or not tip, or ask for change?), and so that I can pay for things in exact change.

One thing I would recommend is to have plenty of $1 and $5 bills for cabs or tips along the way.

That's very sound advice.

If you use large bills, you may be given change in local currency. Port taxi drivers etc will usually give change in USD if asked, but having correct money saves a lot of grief

-and improves your bargaining power in souvenir shops & stalls. :)

John Bull

I use a preloaded credit travel card I get from my credit union. I don't have to carry lots of cash or worry about finding a ATM and the services charges. Only negative is - you have to keep track of what you use to make sure you don't over the loaded amount. Lots easier than carrying cash and I can call and load more from my CU account.

Went to 6 days Walt Disney, and 3 day cruise to Bahamas took 1500.00 worth of prepaid debit cards, 1500 cash, 1000amex travelers checks. Brought back 1 debit card(500), 500 cash, 500 traveler's chk. Used no credit card, and paid cash at end of cruise.

Archived