?'s/Input Regarding Travel Insurance and possible rebooking

bar1068

I've searched a few other travel insurance threads, but wanted to ask a question or 2 again regarding "cancel for any reason" travel insurance, and input to what I'm thinking of doing.

Booked a "family cruise" on the Pride for this July. Did the booking back in February. When I booked, among others, I booked my son, his wife and their 2 kids. My son has a pending application to get in with a local police department, with an academy starting next month. At the time of booking, his status was not certain, he could get accepted, he could not get accepted.

However, I had until the final payment date, (which was 3 days ago) to cancel his booking should he be accepted, and get refunded the cost of their booking, or apply it to our final payment. We figured in February, we'd know for sure by final payment date if he got in or not. Of course, by this past Tuesday/final payment, we still did not know for sure, so I had to cancel their booking and applied that down payment to the final payment for the rest of us.

So, my situation is, he could get accepted, if he does, they were adament, no time off during academy, which runs through the entire summer. Or he not get accepted, and he'll be able to go with us. But, as we wait, the potential that if he does not get accepted, if I try to re-book, there may not be a cabin class for him and his family, mainly a cabin for 4, available, or any cabin class combination for him and his family. The kiddies are only 2 and 8 mos, so outside if maybe and adjoining room, which costs me more, a room for 4 would be best. PVP I work with says those COULD be all booked as we wait.

So, I was thinking about maybe re-booking them and getting cancel for any reason insurance should he get in the academy, figured I'd at least get something back and not loose all we've put down, since we are now in final payment mode, but I've zero experience with this type of insurance.

If you cancel after final payment, does Carnival keep all you've payed? I recall it's like if you cancel 30 days after final payment, they keep $250 per person, after 30 days they keep it all. But is it a flat, they keep all the dollars, or hold it as future credit? Is this even a good idea to re-book them with the insurance?

Insight and input appreciated.

If you go to carnival.com FAQs the cancellation terms are spelled out more exactly. I think its within the last couple of weeks there is no refund. They arent exactly what you posted.

Most insurance policys for cancel for any reason do not cover 100%, plus they cost more.

personally Id wait and worse comes to worse, book two cabins last minute prices, put one adult in each cabin. I wouldnt book ... "just in case" they can go.

You can go with travelex insurance for a good chunk of change you can upgrade travelmax to a cancel for any reason upgrade for 80% of your trip back but you must purchase within 30 days of initial deposit so remember that when you/if you rebook:

Cancel for Any Reason Upgrade

• Must purchase the protection plan within 30 days of the initial trip deposit date
  • Must insure all prepaid covered trip costs subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions
  • Must report your cancellation with all travel suppliers as well as our claims administrator 2 days or more before your scheduled departure date
  • Upgrade Includes: Cancel for Any Reason up to 80% of trip cost and Cancellation due to missing 30% or more of the Covered Trip due to defined policy reasons up to 100% of trip cost

Checkout the Cruise contract section 6 http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx for the specific cancellation Penalties, which get closer to 100% the closer you cancel to sailing.

As noted above, Carnival's Cancel for Any Reason (included in the possibly pricey policy) gives you a 75% CREDIT on a future cruise.

A number of 3rd Party Policies offer a Cancel for Any Reason as an option, generally for 50% premium increase. Read the Policy carefully for each insurer, some are a flat 80% refund, some are 50% to 80%, less percentage refund the closer you cancel to departure. Few refund 100%. Most require that you purchase within 14-21 days of cruise deposit. TravelEx used to have "All Events" Coverage of 95% and some with flat 80%, TravelInsured with "up to 75% refund", the pricey TravelSave Premier with 90 to 100% coverage, CSA Freestyle Deluxe with 70% to 100%. For Polcies indicating a range of percentage refund, or "up to" a percentage refund, carefully read the policy!!!

ken

Also be very careful that the insurance company permits and considers the re-booking and "initial deposit".

There are many that will not provide certain coverage if an original booking is cancelled and then the SAME date/ship is booked. The idea behind this restriction is to prevent someone from booking a trip without insurance and then, at a later date, realize that they need coverage for a pre-existing condition so they cancel the first booking and re-book as if it were their 'first', then attempt to buy insurance to cover pre-existing conditions.

Thanks OP for posting this question although my situation isn't the same but was going to search out insurance to try to fullfill my questions. Thanks the to previous poster I think Ken may just be the person to ask.

Ken - Basically I am iliterate when it comes to insurance. My DH and DM and I are going on the Facination 11/26/2011 out of JAX we will be flying in. I want to get insurance just incase we may need it. I have not paid the full deposit at this time for our cruise but and looking at doing this next week. If I remember correctly it is best to get the insurance the same time you pay your deposit in full? I have looked into price comparisons but they have so many different levels of insurance. I of coarse want soemthing that will cover us for lost bags, flight delay, but most important is if we were to have a medical need while traveling that of coarse has medical evacuation if needed (I hope we won't have to use it but want to go with peice of mind). Do you have a company you use more than another - is CCL insurance coverage good, do you go 3rd party?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks OP for posting this question although my situation isn't the same but was going to search out insurance to try to fullfill my questions. Thanks the to previous poster I think Ken may just be the person to ask.

Ken - Basically I am iliterate when it comes to insurance. My DH and DM and I are going on the Facination 11/26/2011 out of JAX we will be flying in. I want to get insurance just incase we may need it. I have not paid the full deposit at this time for our cruise but and looking at doing this next week. If I remember correctly it is best to get the insurance the same time you pay your deposit in full? I have looked into price comparisons but they have so many different levels of insurance. I of coarse want soemthing that will cover us for lost bags, flight delay, but most important is if we were to have a medical need while traveling that of coarse has medical evacuation if needed (I hope we won't have to use it but want to go with peice of mind). Do you have a company you use more than another - is CCL insurance coverage good, do you go 3rd party?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

FIRST - check your personal Health Insurance (BCBS) for any "Out of Network" coverage, and check your Credit Card (World MasterCard) used to purchase the cruise for (usually minimal) Trip Protection - Cancellation, Interruption and Baggage Loss/Damage/Delay.

Carnival's Policy is IMO way inadequate for Medical Coverage and pretty Marginal for MedEVAC; it does have a number of other included coverafges that make it almost competitive.

The 3rd Party Policies you really need to purchase w/in 14-21 days of Cruise Deposit so as to get the "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions", which if nothing else expedites any medical claim. CSA Freestyle is a very good Policy and allows you to purchase up to Final Payment Deadline and get the Waiver.

IMO you need minimum $50,000 - $100,000 Medical Coverage and same for MedEVAC. A Policy with a Hospital Admission Guarantee is nice.

TravelEx TravelLite ($50K Medical, $250K MedEVAC, PRIMARY, kids under 18 insured free).

TravelInsured Trip Protector ($25,000 Medical, $500,000 MedEVAC, Kids insured Free, and some other niceties) - maybe or maybe not upgrade the Medical. Especially good deal if you're Military and purchase via USAA.

CSA Freestyle ($50K medical, $250K MedEVAC) Includes $1000 physaician guarantee and a Network of participating foreign providrs.

If you want to match or somewhat beat Carnival's coverages probably for less premium, checkout TravelEX Basic, TravelInsured Lite, TravelGuard Essential.

Ken

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Carnival Berkely Policy provides IMO low Medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and no "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions". The Policy DOES include cancellation coverage for Hurricane Warning and Job Layoff, a 75% Cancel for Any Reason Future Cruise CREDIT and coverage for Early Saver Cancellation penalties . If you cancel your Cruise before final Payment and haven’t yet made a claim, the Carnival Policy premium is refundable. The Policy now covers your independently purchased AirFare. The Carnival Policy is less expensive than the 3rd party policies if you're age is in the 70’s, as Age is not factored into Carnival Berkely’s premium as it is with 3rd Party Policies.

The 3rd Party Trip Insurance Policies such as CSA, Travel-Ex and Travel-Insured offer higher coverages and are less expensive, particularly if you're younger. They generally include "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (which can expedite the claims process) if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of your Cruise Deposit; CSA allows you to purchase up to Final Payment and retain the Waiver. Otherwise, you can purchase Carnival Berkely Insurance up to 14 days before sailaway, and you can purchase most other policies practically up to sailaway. You MUST be physically fit to travel the day you purchase.

Most Policies are “Secondary” meaning that you have to first file claims with your own Health and/or Homeowners Insurance and be reimbursed/rejected by them, then the 3rd party Policy will pay what your insurance doesn’t pay (up to the limits of the policy). Primary Policies pay everything (up to limits of the Policy) without requiring you to first file and coordinate benefits with your personal policies, which can help expedite the claims process by avoiding “coordination of benefits” with your own Health Policy.

“Cancel for Any Reason” coverage is usually offered as an option, usually for additional 50% of the premium . It’s important to read the associated Policy as many policies do not pay 100% and many policies pay LESS the later you cancel. Third Party Policies offering the Cancel for Any Reason option require that you purchase the Policy within 14-21 days of your cruise deposit. The Princess Berkely Policy and now the Carnival Berkely Policy include75% Cancel for Any Reason Future Cruise CREDIT.

You need to select a Policy at least somewhat based on your own situation/concerns (if traveling with kids, if prior medical conditions, if over age 70, if Military, if concerned about LayOff, if you’re concerned with possible school year extensions, if you’re a Policeman or firefighter….:

TravelEx and TravelInsured selected policies insure kids free with insured adults.

USAA offers their members discounted Travel-Insured Policies with some expanded coverages.

TravelEX is PRIMARY and includes kids under 16 free and offers a Business/Military upgrade.

CSA Freestyle includes Cancellation for Layoff and for School Year Extension and a Network of Providers in most locations.

Patriot TRIP is PRIMARY coverage and includes Cancellation for Layoff, Cancelled Leave for Military, Fire & Police and Missed Cruise for Flight Delay.

TravelSafe includes Cancel for Hurricane Warning and Cancel for Any Reason (not always 100%).

You can compare Policies and Premiums for your specific age, destination, dates and cruise costs, at the Insurer's sites or at sites such as http://www.insuremytrip.com and http://www.buyamericaninsurance.com . Note that some Policies also have a $6 or $8 application Fee added-on.

If you're not into Research, checkout CSA Freestyle, and TravelInsured Trip Protector and AIG TravelGuard Premier Protect.

FIRST check your personal Health Plan for out-of-country medical and MedEvac coverage, your Homeowners Insurance for Personal Property coverage, and your Credit Card for Trip Cancellation/Interruption, AD&D coverage, and Baggage Loss/Delay coverage and Rental Car DDW coverage!!! For Example:

• VISA Signature Card offers $500,000max Common Carrier Accidental Death & dismemberment, $3000max Lost Luggage by common carrier, $300max Luggage Delay by common carrier and Rental Car CDW.

• World MasterCard offers Flight AD&D and Rental Car CDW, minimal Trip Cancellation/Delay and Baggage coverage.

Government Employee’s Blue Cross blue shield (BCBS) includes Out-of-Country Medical Coverage, via an out-of-country Provider Network.

Ken

Ken...We do have BCBS federal so who would you suggest for a supplemental policy including cancel for any reason?

If you have BCBS FEP look up their (separate) Out-of-Country coverage Policy and make sure you're happy with it - the have a network of Foreign Providers that they claim WILL accept your insurance. We've relied on this and our World Mastercard (for minimal Trip Cancellation and Baggage coverage) for the last several cruises.

If you're happy with the BCBS coverage, I'd look at the minimum 3rd Party Policies that offer minimum Medical plus decent Trip Cancellation and Baggage and "Cancel for any Reason" (if you feel you really need it). If you're under age 61 look at TravelEx Basic which I think offers a flat 80% Cancel for Any Reason Refund. If you don't need the Cancel for Any Reason then maybe TravelInsured Lite or TravelGuuard Essential.

I haven't researched any Trip Protection only Policies.

ken

Thank you Ken - that has been a great help!!

I just re=read your initial post - you need to purchase your 3rd party insurance within 14-21 days (depending on the specific insurer) of your initial cruise deposit (not your final payment) to get "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions". If you're at/near Final Deposit you'd need to purchase CSA Freestyle (or maybe CSA Custom) to get the Waiver up to Final Payment. ken

So, my situation is, he could get accepted, if he does, they were adament, no time off during academy, which runs through the entire summer

Look at some of the third policies carefully. Many include coverage for jobe related situations such as above as long as you have written verification from employer. It probably won't be 100%, but it probably won't be 100% with cancel any reason either.

Thanks all, especially insurance guru Ken for the additional input and suggestions. I looked harder at some of the insurance options and I think we're going to wait it out and hope for the best. My son thinks within a couple weeks he may have more definitive answer on his status. I'm keeping an optimistic view that after a couple of weeks, if their able to go, I'll be able to get them re-booked in a cabin that will accommodate them all.

Archived