Oceania vs Azamara - Asia - 2012?

Wilcoam

I have sailed Azamara's present product (inc wines and gratuities, after the price increase complained about so bitterly on the Az boards) and I have sailed on Oceania Insignia. I liked O well enough to book the Riviera. But I would go with either line if the itinerary suited me. I dont think that makes me non-discriminatory. I think I can appreciate a fine product for a decent price. Those of you who will not even consider another line, good for you. You have found something suitable and have no interest in what else is on offer. The condescension towards others who like to sample the variety life has to offer is rather annoying and frankly reflects poorly on O's "loyal" clientele. Que sera, que sera.

------------------

Helen

I don't see at all how Meows comment that Oceania is confident so increasing their pricing is a dig?

However, you assume that Meow wants to try Azamara because she can not afford Oceania. Perhaps she is just a good consumer.

I beg your pardon, but I haven't assumed anything.

If you don't know exactly what Meows' concerns are, then perhaps you haven't had the time, or the inclination, to keep up with these somewhat repetitous posts of the last 5 days:

April 21, 2011 "Of course, as Oceania begins to have difficulty filling its ships, it may change its policy and start to entice Australians too."

April 22, 2011 "Another one of those creative over 60% discount necessitated by poor sales. "

April 23, 2011 "we noticed that Azamara is cheaper, by perhaps up to 20%"

April 25, 2011 "A more intersting point is that Oceania is still actively pursuing fare increases despite being unable to fill all its berths"

April 25, 2011 "mindful of our limited means, some day we may want to try insides on mass market lines (e.g. Celebrity), both for the experience and of course to save money"

April 26, 2011 "Alternatively, Oceania may be rather confident based on their past marketing success, and increasing their fares (too?) aggressively, time will tell."

I have sailed Azamara's present product (inc wines and gratuities, after the price increase complained about so bitterly on the Az boards) and I have sailed on Oceania Insignia. I liked O well enough to book the Riviera. But I would go with either line if the itinerary suited me. I dont think that makes me non-discriminatory. I think I can appreciate a fine product for a decent price. Those of you who will not even consider another line, good for you. You have found something suitable and have no interest in what else is on offer. The condescension towards others who like to sample the variety life has to offer is rather annoying and frankly reflects poorly on O's "loyal" clientele. Que sera, que sera.

------------------

Helen

Well said, Helen. There are those here who insinuate, if not state outright, than anyone who sails on any line other than O (especially Azamara) is not discriminating. What absolute bunk! There are many options out there for those of us who are not slavishly loyal to one cruise line.

April 21, 2011 "Of course, as Oceania begins to have difficulty filling its ships, it may change its policy and start to entice Australians too." --

That is in reply to Australians complaining about Oceania's use of a sole agent in Australia.

April 22, 2011 "Another one of those creative over 60% discount necessitated by poor sales. " --
This one is on the Silversea board referring to Silversea, with nothing to do with Oceania. It actually shows our even handedness, advocating for ordinary individual consumers regardless of which cruise line.

April 23, 2011 "we noticed that Azamara is cheaper, by perhaps up to 20%" -- [/Quote]This one is on the Azamara board, in reply to someone asking for opinions between the two lines.

April 25, 2011 "A more intersting point is that Oceania is still actively pursuing fare increases despite being unable to fill all its berths" --
This one is on this board, again advocating for ordinary individual consumers

April 25, 2011 "mindful of our limited means, some day we may want to try insides on mass market lines (e.g. Celebrity), both for the experience and of course to save money" --
who knows what happens in the future, better hope for the best and be prepared for the worst.

April 26, 2011 "Alternatively, Oceania may be rather confident based on their past marketing success, and increasing their fares (too?) aggressively, time will tell." --
That is on this board, isn't it true?

So we are glad that many posters also advocate for the benefit of ordinary individual consumers. Thank you, it is nice to read balanced comments from all sides!

By the way, we are just a little amazed that our postings are so diligently followed, and "congregated" from different cruise lines' boards on various topics to produce such a comprehensive condensation.

It was clear to anyone who was watching closely at the time that RCCL (the owner of Celebrity) was trying to steal Oceania clients any way they could...
We would have thought a word like "entice" will be more suitable than "steal". To us, no cruise line owns any ordinary customer.

Hondorner's narrative here sounds so much like the one between Toyota and Hyundai. A company which starts up earlier tries to prevent a newer company from "stealing" its customers. The newer company tries to "copy" the existing company. Sometimes (not always), the older company may choose to raise its price and go up-market instead of lower its price to compete.

I remember a story from some years ago, cigar X sells for $1 a piece but it doesn't sell well. So it repackages its cigars in the finest packaging and then re-sells it for $2 each, and its business dramatically improves. We are NOT inferrng that this is what ANY cruise line is doing, just to point out that marketing is a strange thing, it can succeed or fail in such diversified ways.

Had been considering O for quite something, but they seemed to be quite overpriced even with the extra perks such as free airfare & wine with dinner, etc.

I"m asuming as O & Regent are owned by the same company, O is trying to catch the same high end customers. But remember that Regent is all-inclusive.

Azamara is doing a very good job & their prices seems quite reasonable. You won't be dissapointed with them. But remember no cruises are perfect. This forum will only get you an idea of what to expect.

So IMO is a matter of price/ destination decision. Whatever cruise line you decide enjoy it.

I remember a story from some years ago, cigar X sells for $1 a piece but it doesn't sell well. So it repackages its cigars in the finest packaging and then re-sells it for $2 each, and its business dramatically improves.

LOL - a bit off topic - but that is the story behind Smirnoff Vodka. My father told me about it a long time ago. That strategy works because human nature leads people to believe that if it's in a prettier package or costs more it must be "better." While that certainly is true some of the time, it certainly is not the rule.

ALso off topic but illustrative -- when my dad retired he did investigative work for the company that sold Izod (now LaCoste alligator) polos. The LaCoste shirts came out of the same factory as those made for Montgomery Ward. The shirts were identical in every way. But put an alligator on the shirt and quadruple the price. Go figure. Sorry to ramble.

Had been considering O for quite something, but they seemed to be quite overpriced even with the extra perks such as free airfare & wine with dinner, etc.

Airfare is not FREE it is included & you are free to decline & take the air credit ...sometimes good & sometimes not

Oceania does NOT have free wine with meals

Each line has something that will interest some people

If you like the price & the product they offer then just enjoy the one you choose

There is no BEST cruise just the one that suits you & your needs & wants better

Lyn

Hmm --- included wine, included gratuities, and charge less for it -- are they really that hard up for bookings?

Wow, that's a very negative statement. The posts I recall reading from you around a year or so ago were much more well reasoned than that.

The executives at Azamara are simply seizing an opportunity to entice the segment of the cruising population that desires a more upscale and more all-inclusive product (wine and gratuities), and who want as little smoking as possible, including NO INDOOR SMOKING WHATSOEVER.

They are adding features of luxury lines combined with the best smoking policy of any line so far and are not charging an exorbitant amount because they want people to try their product, and by keeping prices lower than Oceania, they will succeed in getting many passengers to book with them.

I think they are betting on being able to keep many of those passengers as future guests. They aren't throwing money away. Instead of simply spending money on marketing and repeatedly doling out freebies to a very select few of their most vocal passengers here on Cruise Critic, they are enhancing the onboard product for ALL passengers.

How recent was your cruise on Azamara? The reviews for Azamara recently, including one by Host Dan, who cruises frequently on Seabourn, have been very positive. There is no indoor smoking whatsoever on Azamara, which is a plus, along with the included gratuities and wine, and we wish Oceania would include some of these, too.

We sailed on the June 10 cruise from Athens to Istanbul. The itinerary was great but the food was disappointing. I found out later from a posting on the Azamara thread that the chefs were told to skimp on food (she and her husband got a tour of the kitchens because he is a chef). The menu and meals in the MDR were so bad that we ate in the specialty dining rooms, which add considerably to the cost of our cruise. If the meals in the specialty dining rooms had been great, we wouldn't have minded, but they weren't.

Archived