Does no Formal night mean no photogs?

Newcruiser06

We are booked on the POA for the Hawaiian cruise in December. In the past we've been on two cruises with other lines that had regular seating and formal nights. My DH and I love to go from one photographer to another in our dress up clothes that night to get our pictures taken.

If NCL doesn't have that kind of seating and no formal night - does that mean they don't have the photographers out either?

I think I'm going to miss my own table with my own servers - we'll be floating around homeless :o

But - we really want to see Hawaii by cruise ship and this seems to be the best way.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge on the subject.

Yes, they do photos on dress up or not night. Lots of families do dress up. On various cruises the photographers have set up even when it isn't 'dress up or not' night. But there is always a chance for photos on every ship.

We are booked on the POA for the Hawaiian cruise in December. In the past we've been on two cruises with other lines that had regular seating and formal nights. My DH and I love to go from one photographer to another in our dress up clothes that night to get our pictures taken.

If NCL doesn't have that kind of seating and no formal night - does that mean they don't have the photographers out either?

I think I'm going to miss my own table with my own servers - we'll be floating around homeless :o

But - we really want to see Hawaii by cruise ship and this seems to be the best way.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge on the subject.

They had photographers on the Gem, I would think they are on all the ships.

NCL makes a good amount of money selling the pictures. They do not miss a chance to have photographers available. On the POA they have photographers out every night.

We celebrated my DH's 60th birthday on the POA. It wasn't a dress up night but we did dress up for our special occasion. The photographers took a number of pictures of our entire family on the stairsteps. They are our favorite family pictures.

Donna

We actually wanted one on the beautiful stairway in the atrium on the Star and that particular night there were no photographers doing it. There was one over at a canvas that had no one waiting for him so we just asked him if he minded. He gladly rushed right over to take it. They are all very friendly and helpful. The only time I wasn't crazy about them, is disembarking the ships at port. Because of the amount of people they try to get off the ship and not hold up, you feel very rushed. Understandably so, since I'm sure the people behind just want to get on their way to whatever they were hoping to do in the port.

There are optional formal nights on NCL - one dining room is dedicated to those who want to dress up so you will be in the company of same if you eat in that dining room.

The cruise lines make a LOT of money on photographs - don't worry, there will be plenty of photographers to take your picture!

There are optional formal nights on NCL - one dining room is dedicated to those who want to dress up so you will be in the company of same if you eat in that dining room.

I don't believe this is accurate. They did this once upon a time but I don't believe it's the case anymore.

On the Jewel in February they offered photos with the captain on Dress Up or Not night, taken in the Crystal Atrium. We really enjoyed getting to meet him and having our photos taken - they were some of our favorites! I think it was going on for about an hour and was printed in the dailies.

I don't believe this is accurate. They did this once upon a time but I don't believe it's the case anymore.

It seems to be a sort of unwritten rule here on CC, and a very hot topic. The only thing I've seen in the Welcome Aboard booklet or FAQ is this:

"Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the Aft Main Dining Room (our more formal Dining Room) and in Le Bistro, on cruises that are more than five days long. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable during a Bermuda cruise.

We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in any of our main dining rooms or specialty restaurants." If you want to dressup and add a little glamour when you dine out, feel free.

We did see just about everything from very casual to very dressed up in MDRs and Cagneys. We did not go to Le Bistro so I can't say what they wore there. I actually probably wouldn't have even notice but being on CC so much before we left, I guess brought this to mind.

It seems to be a sort of unwritten rule here on CC, and a very hot topic. The only thing I've seen in the Welcome Aboard booklet or FAQ is this:

"Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the Aft Main Dining Room (our more formal Dining Room) and in Le Bistro, on cruises that are more than five days long. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable during a Bermuda cruise.

We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in any of our main dining rooms or specialty restaurants." If you want to dressup and add a little glamour when you dine out, feel free.

We did see just about everything from very casual to very dressed up in MDRs and Cagneys. We did not go to Le Bistro so I can't say what they wore there. I actually probably wouldn't have even notice but being on CC so much before we left, I guess brought this to mind.

Yes, this is pretty much what I would expect. I posted because I didn't want anyone to think that one of the dining rooms is reserved for those who are truly dressed up. Obviously, it boils down to a definition of "dressed up". I don't consider smart casual "dressed up".

Yes, this is pretty much what I would expect. I posted because I didn't want anyone to think that one of the dining rooms is reserved for those who are truly dressed up. Obviously, it boils down to a definition of "dressed up". I don't consider smart casual "dressed up".

I agree completely and actually I seen people go to the Aqua quite "dressed up' I pretty well live in "resort casual" so no I don't consider that dressed up either.

Thank you everyone - your answers were very helpful. I can't wait to tell DH - I"m going to 'make' him wear a tux again!:D

Leave the tux at home, your DH can wear a nice Hawaiian shirt and he will be very well dressed for formal or not night on the POA.

DT

On our last cruise I brought a suit and DW brought a dress, and the boys brought ties because I wanted a formal picture done because it was the last time we would cruise as a whole family for a long time. And they do offer different size prints of your favorite photos, all you need to do is ask.

Archived