Los Angeles - any ideas how to spend a few hours

Hi Everyone,

We are cruising the Vision on May 1 out of LA and get to spend a few days at Disneyland prior.

However, the day we leave the ship our flights do not leave LAX until 7 PM. Since we will likely be off the ship before noon, does anyone have any ideas what we could do for 4 or 5 hours rather than hanging out at LAX.

BTW, we will ave a three year old daughter in tow.

Cheers. :)

When in LA a last summer, we did a wonderful bus tour of Beverly Hills, Bel Air and the surrounding areas (go to to see the Hollywood sign etc.). the best part about it was that it was on an airconditioned bus (we were there in July) and it lasted 2 hours. The whole thing was about 3-3.5 hours long. We had to wait after we purchased the tour----we walked around Hollywood Blvd. (i think) seeing the stars on Hollywood etc., there are movie characters (Snow White and Belle) walking around but be careful they will take a picture with you and then want a hefty tip for doing so--that is how they make money. Another option is to take in a museum.

You might see if there is something special going on in the area, rent a car and check it out, then renturn the car at the airport. I know we are thinking of going to the final day of drag racing, still checking out the logistics of it, don't know how long the drive is yet. Plan to rent a car, go to the races, they are usually over about 5-6pm, and then drive to airport for a late flight home.

Thanks Lynda,

Renting a car may not be a bad option. A one day rental won't cost anymore than the transfer to the airport. I may have to find something other than Drag racing. It may keep my daughter occupied for an hour or so, but I know the wife will not be amused.

Anyone have any other suggestions, especially keeping a three year old in mind.

We had a 7 hour delay in LA a couple of years ago. We checked our luggage with the airline early, then took a taxi from the airport to Venice Beach, which is not far from the airport.

Had a great time and watched a wonderful sunset!

Cheers!

Hi Bill,

Island Lady's suggestion re Venice Beach is a good one. You can stroll along the boardwalk and see all sorts of colorful characters! If you're feeling energetic, you could even walk to the Santa Monica Pier. Best of all, you're still near LAX. There used to be a decent harbor village in Marina Del Rey (also near LAX), but since I haven't been there in several years, I don't know if that would be worth the trip.

Another idea, depending on where your ship comes in, is to go to Long Beach. Three things that might be good with a toddler are the Aquarium of the Pacific, Seaport Village (shops and restaurants), and the Queen Mary. Be sure to give yourself enough time to get back to LAX -- you'll be hitting rush hour in the afternoon, and the 405 is the worst freeway in the world (I say this as someone who used to commute over an hour each way for way too many years!).

Hope you have a wonderful cruise and a great time at Dizzyland (unfortunately you'll be missing their 50th anniversary bash on May 5th, but I know it will be a blast anyway!).

Laurie

Hi Laurie

I like all the ideas, especially the Aquarium. We are cruising with Royal Caribbean and I think the pier is San Pedro.

Is that close to the Aquarium?

Would it be best to rent a car?

And then do we leave our luggage in the trunk?

We will be doing this on a Sunday May 8th, so I hope rush hour won't be a problem.

Hi Bill,

In San Pedro there's also a place called Ports O'Call Village. It's another one of those restaurant/shops/attractions places. I used that as the starting point on Mapquest, and it said that the Long Beach Aquarium is only 6.5 miles, or approximately 11 minutes away. the Aquarium has a nice website and there are always discount offers, either online or through AAA. The Seaport Village is a very easy walk from there -- maybe a couple of blocks, at the most. As I recall, there are lots of hands-on activities at the Aquarium, so your toddler should have lots of fun.

The Aquarium is approximately 22 miles from LAX (Mapquest says "27 minutes." Even on a Sunday, I say allow an hour). Yeah, I guess you would have to rent a car -- one you could drop off at LAX. I don't really know any other alternatives, but perhaps other posters will share their experiences. Maybe there are shuttles to and from?

If you do rent a car, I guess you'd have to leave your luggage in the trunk (always makes me a bit nervous). RCCL has instituted a service at some of their port cities where they will take your luggage off the ship and take it directly to the airport for a $15/pp fee. The next time you see your luggage is when you get off the plane in your home city. We'll be using that service in Vancouver in June. You might inquire as to whether the service is offered in San Pedro.

Laurie

Wow Laurie, thanks for all that information.

You have definitely gone above and beyond the call of duty with all your research.

We will have a look at the Aquarium website

Cheers.

Wow Laurie, thanks for all that information.

You have definitely gone above and beyond the call of duty with all your research.

We will have a look at the Aquarium website

Cheers.

My pleasure. I'm usually the one asking the questions on these boards, so I'm glad I could return the favor this time. Have a fantastic vacation.

When you board the ship go to desk and request to be in the first group to leave on your last day, explain your situation that you would like to have as much time as possible. We had a late night flight 10 pm, we rented a car and went to Venice beach, Santa Monica Pier then drove up the Pacific Coast Highway to Malibu and on the way back went up to Brentwood and Beverly Hills walked around the Rodeo Dr. area there was an Art fair at that time in a park across from Rodeo Dr. with food stands set up and we ate there then returned the car to LAX. It was one of the best times, and we slept all the way back to Philly on the red eye. Have a great time, the Vision is a great ship.:D

We will staying in San Pedro for our October cruise.We will be arriving the day before.How far is Beverly Hills and what would be the best way to get there.There will be 6 of us and we are hoping there is some kind of van or tour company that we could use.

Thanks

Archived