Come Cruise with Me-Jewel Review 4/8/11-Southern Caribbean/2,000+ Pics/Super Long

So I'll start this off with day -1, since day 0 is when we head down.

On day -1, otherwise known as Wednesday, we did all of our packing. We started around 10:15pm, which was when I finished working.

Here's the fun stuff (aka what I hate about a vacation):

5646060569_8d53d09bec_z.jpg

We finally finished packing around 1am.

Alltogether, we took 1 large suitcase, 1 garmet bag, 1 carry on/roll on & 1 backpack. Not bad for a 10 nighter, I think.

Now, off course, like many of you, we have pets we have to leave behind, which is sad, but it is the one thing that makes it easy to go back home also.

Here is Dory - Note the look of concern upon seeing us start packing:

5646061351_4bd73a1241_z.jpg

Here is Nemo - Some of you may remember him from my last review in dealing with his bad eye. He had his surgery in early January to remove it. It was a tough month and a half, but he is now officially doing better than ever. - Of course you wouldn't know it by looking at this photo, since he also saw the suitcases out.

5646061153_ef78c32aba_z.jpg

Day 0 - Heading to Port Everglades - Coming Soon. . .

Congratulations!

Even though my oldest turned 25 last week, I remember the excitement. You will be wonderful parents!

And thanks so much for the review, and especially all the pics. I am with Jane, I love doing reviews with lots of pics, and I know people appreciate them, but I also know how much time they take!

Ah, something to really look forward to each day on CC....:D

Day 0 - We're going on a cruise / Headed to Fort Lauderdale.

I live in Crystal River, Florida. It's a nice place to live if you like to cruise, since we can drive to Port Canaveral, Tampa, Port Everglades or Miami in less than a day (some in a less than two hours!).

The car ride from our house to the hotel is supposed to be around 5 hours. Here is the route

5654560784_fba9985642_z.jpg

For cruises out of Miami and Port Everglades, we usually drive down the afternoon before, you know, just in case something happens. We have a total of 8 of us going on the cruise, 6 of which are driving together in two cars and two who are flying in. We took our prius as one of the cars to save on gas, but we could only hold one families luggage on the way down, so the rest went in the other car.

5649617584_a522599bf1_z.jpg

When we left the hotel later, we actually fit two families luggage in the car with four people -- I could kick myself for not taking a picture of that -- we looked like a clown car all piled in.

We left the house around noon and went to Chili's in Crystal River for lunch. Since we were in a hurry, of course they were extremely slow.

5646064845_fa29b4c808_z.jpg

That disapproving look is coming from my wife, who "can't believe you are already taking pictures like some photo junkie"

Like I said, they were slow, but they do have a good chips and salsa appetizer, which I miss on the cruise, so I try to get it before we go.

5646063271_75af140c23_z.jpg

You'll notice how the chips didn't give any disapproving look at all!

It was also at this very table where I gave the most important declaration for the upcoming cruise -- Since my wife is pregnant, I have to do my part to help on the cruise. Therefore, I shall do my best to "eat for two" during the whole cruise. -- Hey, it's the least I can do ;)

More Day 0 - We're going on a cruise - coming later this evening. . .

Congratulations to you and your wife!! How very exciting.

I always enjoy reading your cruise reviews. Thanks for taking all those pictures, even if your wife didn't appreciate you starting at Chili's LOL.

So, I mentioned that I would have a big announcement for my family at the beginning of the review and the end of the review. So what is my announcement for the beginning?

5654560556_c830c4bb3a_z.jpg

If you didn't catch it in that picture, I'll give you a slightly enhanced version

5654560340_6b19425e17_z.jpg

That's right, we are going to be first time parents! We have been "planning" on this for a very long time, so we are very excited :D

The due date is October 20th, so my wife was 12 weeks along when he departed on the ship.

Thanks to a suggestion from QTMichele, we shall be calling this trip "The Babymoon".

OK - I have to get some work done now, but later this afternoon, we will be starting on our road trip down - Stay Tuned!

Your review is awesome so far!!!! The more pictures=better review in my opinion. I read some of your other reviews last night/this morning and was very impressed. Your GoS review was the best I've ever seen, and I've read alot of reviews.

Can't wait to see port pictures,especially Colon and Cartegena.

Congratulations on the baby too!

This is fab, its like reading a book. I love you background info. My husband liked your cameras!

Congratulations to you and your wife!! How very exciting.

I always enjoy reading your cruise reviews. Thanks for taking all those pictures, even if your wife didn't appreciate you starting at Chili's LOL.

If you think the Chili's photo is funny, wait till you see the picture from Olive Garden later that night ;)

Your review is awesome so far!!!! The more pictures=better review in my opinion. I read some of your other reviews last night/this morning and was very impressed. Your GoS review was the best I've ever seen, and I've read alot of reviews.

Can't wait to see port pictures,especially Colon and Cartegena.

Congratulations on the baby too!

Thanks so much :)

Day 0 - We're going on a cruise - Continued

So, last time I left off, we were talking about Chili's being slow. After arriving around noon, we finally left the restaurant around 1:30pm.

It took us about 45 minutes to get to the Florida Turnpike. I've mentioned this in past reviews and I'll mention it again for the benefit of those who haven't traveled on it. The Florida Turnpike is the most boring road in Florida. Once you get pasted Orlando, it is just miles and miles of nothing but flat land and palm trees. They do break them up by having a travel center in the middle of the road every 45 miles or so.

Here's the first one

5646068951_66e970d8dd_z.jpg

Here's the inside of one

5646638966_68c6dab112_z.jpg

Here's the next one. I think we stopped at almost every single one. Several people in my group are bladder holding challenged (including myself :p)

5646079575_f778e0f5cf_z.jpg

And the inside

5646640466_498eaf11fe_z.jpg

And one more

5646646690_abf75e2eaa_z.jpg

Feel like your on a road trip yet? Good!

Next up - Day 0 - We've arrived - Coming Soon . . .

Day 0 - We've Arrived Fort Lauderdale.

Around 6:15, we arrived at the Hampton Inn - Tamerac

5646648152_8ae955f4d5_z.jpg

As we stepped into the lobby, they had warm milk and cookies. Obviously they knew I was about to arrive and popped them in. I set that one cookie out for anyone who wanted it, then took the remaining on the tray back to my room -- Just kidding.

5646649620_27e66040e5_z.jpg

After checking in, we headed up to the room.

5140244541_b4dd90a75e_z.jpg

Now, for those of you that read my Grandeur review from last year, this picture might look familiar. Did we stay in the same room? No - I just forgot to take a picture (I'm so embarrassed, you just can't tell from your computer screen) - so I took the liberty of using a "stock" photo from our Grandeur cruise - that's how we roll in the professional review business :p

More Day 0 - It's dinner time - Coming Soon. . .

Congratulations! I had a feeling there might be a little cruiser on the way when you mentioned an announcement at the beginning....

We have a 13 month old but it feels like yesterday we found out we were expecting him! Hope you're looking forward to cruising with your LO!

As for the review, can't wait to see some pics of the ship!!!!

Day 0 - Dinner Time

So, after getting our luggage upstairs, we headed to Olive Garden. It took about 15 minutes to get there from the hotel

5137643285_d564172ea7_z.jpg

Here we are at the table

5646651282_0461e72918_z.jpg

For the appetizer, I had the chicken Gnocchi soup

5646662470_b671b9e911_z.jpg

For dinner, the Fettichini Alfredo

5646099671_0f6c2731a2_z.jpg

Now, remember way back when I vowed to "eat for two" as my contribution on this trip to help out the pregnant missus? Well, it all starts right here

5646660866_f6875f424b_z.jpg

Ironically, the way she is looking in that picture is the same look she gave me when I made that vow.

Now - back to the meal. All of the food was good and hot. It all tasted good. Service, a little below average.

After a quick stop at Walgreens for a few last minute items, it was back to the hotel and off to bed (around 10:30pm).

Want to know something funny? Not one hour ago I had that exact same meal at the Olive Garden in Inverness. I'm not predictable -- I'm consistent ;)

Coming tomorrow - Day 1 - All Aboard . . .

Congratulations! I had a feeling there might be a little cruiser on the way when you mentioned an announcement at the beginning....

We have a 13 month old but it feels like yesterday we found out we were expecting him! Hope you're looking forward to cruising with your LO!

As for the review, can't wait to see some pics of the ship!!!!

Thanks :) We are definitely looking forward to our future "family cruises". We usually travel with family, so we always have a helping hand too.

that's how we roll in the professional review business :p

LOL!!!! Good one! :D

If only I could make a career out of it :D:eek::D

Gonna follow along... congrats on your baby on board and eating for two, haha :). Hubby and I are thinking of doing Southern Caribbean one day so your review should be interesting for us to read.

I really like the Olive Garden soup too! Minestrone is my fave :).

Yaaaaay... another bionicman review. I've read and loved them all. Wonderful pictorials. You make it seem like we really are there with you. Congrats to you, your wife and family on your upcoming little cruiser. Enjoy every moment.

5649617584_a522599bf1_z.jpg

When we left the hotel later, we actually fit two families luggage in the car with four people -- I could kick myself for not taking a picture of that -- we looked like a clown car all piled in.

When we got back in December we had 6 "post cruise" adults, 10 - 50 lb suitcases, 8 carry on's, 2 camera bags and a partridge in a pear tree in a Dodge Minivan... people were standing at the airport watching us to see if we could actually make it happen... we did mind you I think the back bumper was dragging the whole way home!

Congrats on the new arrival coming, you need to make a hybrid countdown clock for the due date. Looking forward to more of the review.

Thanks - That's a good idea :)

Congrats on baby. Always love your reviews.

Gonna follow along... congrats on your baby on board and eating for two, haha :). Hubby and I are thinking of doing Southern Caribbean one day so your review should be interesting for us to read.

I really like the Olive Garden soup too! Minestrone is my fave :).

Yaaaaay... another bionicman review. I've read and loved them all. Wonderful pictorials. You make it seem like we really are there with you. Congrats to you, your wife and family on your upcoming little cruiser. Enjoy every moment.

Thanks so much :)

When we got back in December we had 6 "post cruise" adults, 10 - 50 lb suitcases, 8 carry on's, 2 camera bags and a partridge in a pear tree in a Dodge Minivan... people were standing at the airport watching us to see if we could actually make it happen... we did mind you I think the back bumper was dragging the whole way home!

I know exactly how you feel :D

I'll look forward to following your review! DH and I were also on board the Jewel for this cruise. It's surprising we didn't meet, but in your pictures you don't look familiar, so I don't think we did. I was the one on board with unusually long brown hair, and DH and I were typically wearing blinking pins.

Will look fwd to the next installment! :D

CURTIS!!!!

Thank goodness I finally found this - I've been waiting for your review and your announcement!!!!! :D I'm so glad you and yours are back. Except that I'll be glued to my computer for the next few weeks (really now, you must write FASTER!). ;)

If you are wondering, I took this picture with my cellphone, because that's all I had left ;)

Yep, I was!

That's right, we are going to be first time parents! We have been "planning" on this for a very long time, so we are very excited :D

The due date is October 20th, so my wife was 12 weeks along when he departed on the ship.

Thanks to a suggestion from QTMichele, we shall be calling this trip "The Babymoon".

OK - I have to get some work done now, but later this afternoon, we will be starting on our road trip down - Stay Tuned!

First... CONGRATS again!!! SOOOO happy for you and Heather!

Second... a gentle reminder... the baby's due date may be the 20th, but the baby's BIRTHdate is going to be the 17th!!!

Okay, enough chatter... get back to posting. Can't wait to see allllllll your pictures!

Archived