Norway - Many Questions

Len3

On July 24, 2011, we sail on the Ryndam, calling at the following: Stavavger, Alesund, Flam, Bergen then a back to back cruise calling at the following: Helsingborg, Sweden, Copenhagen (overnight) Skagen, Denmark, and Olso, Norway. I have booked the tram for Flam. Do I need to book other ship excursions or can we simply get off the shp and do it on our own? I really need help from other CC members.

On July 24, 2011, we sail on the Ryndam, calling at the following: Stavavger, Alesund, Flam, Bergen then a back to back cruise calling at the following: Helsingborg, Sweden, Copenhagen (overnight) Skagen, Denmark, and Olso, Norway. I have booked the tram for Flam. Do I need to book other ship excursions or can we simply get off the shp and do it on our own? I really need help from other CC members.

From last summer along the Norway coast, plus in 2008 to Oslo and other Baltic places, I can offer some very specific suggestions. Have not been to Stavavger, Helsingborg or Skagen. Much depends on your personal interests, travel style, how much you are seeking for history, art, nature, architecture, culture, etc. Tell us more!!

Below are just a few visual highlights with more available for Copenhagen, Flam, Bergen, Alesund, etc., shown in the below live/blog postings that I did last summer. When you say "have booked the tram for Flam", do you mean the train that goes through the various tunnels, over the many bridges, etc.? Tivoli in Copenhagen is super wonderful with the lights in the evenings. You can do a search on this board for Oslo and get lots more details on your many options there.

Here's a posting with more ideas on the capital of Denmark:

Copenhagen: Why Walking Back to the Ship Is Super Great!!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975779

What would you like to see and know more about in these key areas?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,520 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From our early July visit to the highly-rated Sognerfjord, here are some added details and sights from Flam, riding the railroad there, etc. This includes views from the train going up and back, etc.::

FlamTrainValleyView.jpg

FlamTrain2Tunnel.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coast lines of the fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point. This spot allows a nearly 360 degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds.:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

got guidebooks from library,,,googled tourism in each port,,,,read ship excursions,,,looked at port reviews on CC for each....then figured out what was better on own,,,or thru ship,,,for instance,,,booked ships Flam rail tour,,for times sake,,,and also Geiranger glacier and fjiord ship tour,,,because Olden very small and outskirts need to be seen,,not town,,per se...so look forward to lots of reading and research...

We leave in 1 mo....can t wait....:)

Besides Terry's wonderful photos and review...I got guidebooks from library,,,googled tourism in each port,,,,read ship excursions,,,looked at port reviews on CC for each....then figured out what was better on own,,,or thru ship,,,for instance,,,booked ships Flam rail tour,,for times sake,,,and also Geiranger glacier and fjiord ship tour,,,because Olden very small and outskirts need to be seen,,not town,,per se...so look forward to lots of reading and research... We leave in 1 mo....can t wait....

Len3: Thanks for the great pictures and suggestions - seems that I have some work to do on this one!

Alexandra makes an excellent suggestion on guidebooks from the library' date=' looking at Google tourism websites, including the Wiki ones, etc., can be helpful. I really like [b']such super excellent visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc.[/b] Rick Steves, Fodors, Frommers, etc., can work well, too. In my opinion, no one travel book has it "ALL", perfectly and completely for all of your needs. These resources, especially the visual ones, can you help better figure out your priorities, in advance, for what you want to do and see.

Below are a few more of my visual suggestions and options to consider. Lots to see and love there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,550 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Arriving at Flam, the Captain is right there directing this process. You can see here some of the fjord mountains, waterfalls in the background.:

FjordsDockedFlam.jpg

From Aksla, here is some of the charming architecture in Alesund. This includes a canal or waterway. :

AlesundHarbor2.jpg

At a lower, street-level part of Alesund, here are some of the buildings along the central waterway, plus a nice statue.:

AlesundHarborLowerStat.jpg

This closer angle of the Hanseatic merchant warehouses show more building and architecture details on these historic wooden structures used to store dried fish before export.:

BergenWarehousesCloseAngle.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

Where do you shop in Norway? Here is an example in Bergen in looking for woolen items in the charming area right near the Fish Market. As you can tell by the friendly smile, our friend, Sharon, was enjoying herself. :

BergenSharonHatTesting.jpg

Archived