FORMAL NIGHTS-DO WE HAVE TO ATTEND?

boricua04

Hello,

My husband and I going RCCl May 23rd Adventure of the Sea, for the formal nights that are set do we have to attend.. My husband and I just want to relax and we dont feel like dressing up and stuff...Does the ship has other places that we can dress how ever we want on the nights of the formal. And also, where are the formal dinners are held...Are they in the main dinning are or they have a separate area.....??? Thanks

You do not have to attend anything, except muster. The formal night dinners are in the main dining room you can eat anywhere else on the ship.

I know you say now that you don't want to attend, but may I suggest you pack appropriate attire anyway. You can always stick by your original decision but if you change your mind on the cruise, it may not be so easy to come up w/ an outfit.

Enjoy!

Trish

A muster drill is a dry run of an emergency. icon_smile.gif

If you don't want to dine in the main dining room, they do serve the same kinds of food in the informal dinning room. You can also request room service.

Have a nice trip icon_smile.gif

March 28, 2004 - Mariner of the Seas

I have to agree with Trish. Pack a Jacket and Tie for DH and a dress for yourself, "Just in case." If you don't use it, no harm done and you will know next time.

My personal chronology:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Cruise One - Took a blazer and tie.<LI>Cruise Two - Packed the suit.<LI>Cruise Three - Bought (not rented) the Tuxedo.

DW and I enjoy dressing and going out to dinner. Others don't. "Your milage may vary."

Have a great time!

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by boricua04:

My husband and I going RCCl May 23rd Adventure of the Sea, for the formal nights that are set do we have to attend.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with your husband! Get dressed up on vacation? No way. icon_smile.gif

There are plenty of other places on the ship to have dinner ... on formal nights, I just ate at the Lido. They have pretty much the same food there anyway. The only problem, though, is technically on formal nights, they ask you to observe that dress code for the entire evening. So if you prefer not to get dressed up, you really shouldn't wander around the main decks during the evening. But there are still plenty of things going on poolside that you can attend casual.

Of course, I went on HAL. Other lines may be different.

Blue skies and enjoy your cruise!

--rita

• 3 weeks later...
You do not have to attend anything, except muster.

Actually, I even managed to get out of muster. :)

Missed the ship at its original embarkation point and picked it up two days later at its first port. Five of us were on the same airplane that was delayed and we all got on the ship two days later.

They never did schedule a special muster drill for us ... and quite frankly, we didn't even think to ask.

Blue skies ...

--rita

It's really too bad to miss one of the most important things about cruising, and something you paid for, because you don't want to dress up. It's not difficult to put on a nice black dress and some nice jewelry or a dress shirt and slacks with a sport coat and tie. While others say you can get the same food in the alternate restaurant, that's not completely true. I know we don't want to miss the lobster, prime rib, baked Alaska plus all the ambience we paid for with a cruise.

My Husband and I did the grandeur of seas last year,and said the same thing no way to the formal night,you can eat any where else if you want.

Then along comes this English man and says to my husband and I,you have to do the t-shirt,we looked at him puzzled and said huh,he said you do the cruise you have to at least once do the formality,so we did on the second formal...and did not regret it for a minute,trust me do the t-shirt.

bye Patty

Unfortunately, these board tend to scare the new cruiser with stories of "needing" to dress up to attend formal night. I wear a fancy top and a pair of nice pants. I have seen dressy turtle necks and suits for men.

No matter what you read, my recent experience on Celebrity Summit - whose board has the most vehement dressing topics I have ever seen - proved to me that you can wear just about anything slightly dressy on formal night and fit in fine. There is not a preponderance of tuxes and formal wear - just a bunch of very nicely dressed people having a good time.

A muster drill is a dry run of an emergency.

...and if you don't like the dry mustard, you can always do the Grey Poupon. Ooooh, MUSTER drill, you say? Never mind....<doing my best Emily Latella impersonation>

It's really too bad to miss one of the most important things about cruising, and something you paid for, because you don't want to dress up. It's not difficult to put on a nice black dress and some nice jewelry or a dress shirt and slacks with a sport coat and tie. While others say you can get the same food in the alternate restaurant, that's not completely true. I know we don't want to miss the lobster, prime rib, baked Alaska plus all the ambience we paid for with a cruise.

LOL ... black dress? I ain't worn a dress since 9th grade ... and I'm 48 now. :)

No, it will have to be a dressy black pants suit for me ... :)

Funny, since I posted this, my situation has changed and I will probably wind up buying something formal for the cruise. I was originally scheduled to travel solo, but another couple who I am friends with just booked. I know this lady really likes to get dressed up ... and will definitely want to eat in the dining room on formal nights. So, if I want to join her and her husband, guess I'll have to "formal up" too. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, We can't wait for thew formal dinner. We have 3 children so getting out for a formal night is a real treat for us. Believe me we are taking advantage of it and going the whole 9 yards!

Archived