For those who have taken X's Santorini xcursions

24butterfly

The ship's excursion we took went to what I think was the Athinios port. It was a little longer tender ride and buses picked us up at the tender port and took us up the cliff and on four our tour. Only the ship's tour tenders went to this location as the only transportation up the cliff there was by ship arrainged buses - passengers not on ship's tours were tendered to Fira.

We'd gotten a recommendation to take a short morning tour in order to get the bus ride up the cliff, to avoid the crowds ascending on the tram at Fira and to see a bit of the island by coach and then to tour on our own around Fira and Oia in the afternoon. We did this and it turned out that the lines at Fira were not too bad as we were the only ship in port that day. But this still made for a great day and we had a wonderful time - I'd do the same thing (but a different morning tour) the next time we visit Santorini.

Same for us-- we took the tour that went to Oia & then stopped at a winery--It was a no hassle way to get going & a great tour-- We got to Oia before the crowds!

We did the same! Still had time for a beautiful lunch in Fira.

The reason I ask is that we are looking into a private excursion. We drop anchor at 2, and stay 'til 10. The tour company wants to meet us at 3:00 at the exit fm the cable car, but from reading around the posts, I'm thinking that 3 isn't feasable b/c of the tendering at Athinos taking time? I'm thinking that we may get off the ship 3:45 ish and the tour is 5 hrs....What do you think about this? Thanks again.

I don't recall that they completed all tendering for ships excursions before they started tendering to Fira. They might do both at the same time (more or less). They can, and do, use more than one tender exit on the ship at once. I've seen them using both the midship and forward tendor docks on the ship at the same time to speed up tendering.

I'd also be in touch with the tour company and indicate you'll get off ASAP but can't guarantee when you'll be able to get ashore and see what they say.

I don't recall that they completed all tendering for ships excursions before they started tendering to Fira. They might do both at the same time (more or less). They can, and do, use more than one tender exit on the ship at once. I've seen them using both the midship and forward tendor docks on the ship at the same time to speed up tendering.

I'd also be in touch with the tour company and indicate you'll get off ASAP but can't guarantee when you'll be able to get ashore and see what they say.

So are you saying that they tender from only 1 location (Athinos) to both Fira and for the ship's xcursion? Or do they tender from Athinos and then go to Thira? Thanks again.

So are you saying that they tender from only 1 location (Athinos) to both Fira and for the ship's xcursion? Or do they tender from Athinos and then go to Thira? Thanks again.

Well..it was 3 1/2 years ago but I seem to recall that they only anchored once and tendered to both ports from there.

Hopefully someone with a more recent experiance can confirm this.

Here is a photo the ship in the distance from the Athinios port (click here) as we were driving up the cliff. And also a couple of photos of the ports from the ship after we returned that evening Click here The first photo shows the Athinios port and the one right after that is Fira. Looking at the details of the original photos it seems the one of Fira is zoomed at about the max of my basic point and shoot camera which only had a small amount of zoom and the one of Athinios is zoomed in slightly less.

They anchor in one place - the X organized excursions go one place (where the bus loads for the excursion down on the water level) and the other goes to the town of Fira where you can take the funicular up the cliff / hill (or a donkey if you are into that kind of fun)..

Same for us-- we took the tour that went to Oia & then stopped at a winery--It was a no hassle way to get going & a great tour-- We got to Oia before the crowds!

Did you do the Santos winery with the view? We want to go to that winery on our trip.

We'd gotten a recommendation to take a short morning tour in order to get the bus ride up the cliff, to avoid the crowds ascending on the tram at Fira and to see a bit of the island by coach and then to tour on our own around Fira and Oia in the afternoon. We did this and it turned out that the lines at Fira were not too bad as we were the only ship in port that day. But this still made for a great day and we had a wonderful time - I'd do the same thing (but a different morning tour) the next time we visit Santorini.

Do you remember the name of the winery? Was it Santos?

When we cruised with HAL, we went to the winery first - Santos in Pygros, using the ships tendering excursion that let us off at the Athinos port. After the winery, we went to Oia. It sounds like the Celebrity tour goes to Oia first, and then the winery.

Has anyone done the Exclusive Santorini Tour that is $345.00 per person? We have been to Santorini a number of times (rented a car last time), would never pay at full price but sister company Azamara had a 50% promotion on the shore excursions.

I wanted to know if anyone took the tour and enjoyed it. I know the cost to sit down and eat lunch in a Santorini restaurant.

Thanks.

==

Exclusive Santorini Tour - SO18

spacer.gif

After disembarkation, you will board a private tender for a boat tour of the two islets of Palea and Nea Kameni (volcano) before arriving at the port of Athinios to board your coach and enjoy the scenic drive to the traditional village of Oia.

The beautiful village of Oia is perched atop a craggy cliff at the northern most point of the island, offering panoramic views of steep plummeting cliffs and nearby small islands surrounded by the deep blue sea. The charm of this lovely traditional and somewhat removed village lies in its very narrow, twisting cobblestone alleyways and steps, pointing out the brilliant white stone buildings that create a maze of fine shops, cafes, and domed churches. Walking through the village, you can enjoy the panoramic views and admire the Cycladic architecture for which the town is well known. Meet with your guide and visit the naval museum. A neoclassical old mansion restored and converted to a museum, housing the maritime history of Santorini.

Rejoin your coach and continue to the village of Megalohori to visit the Boutari Winery, one of the most elegant wineries on the island. Specially trained personnel will guide you through the production facilities and its underground cellars. After the tour, you are initiated in the art of wine tasting and treated with local mezes (typical Greek Snacks). Complete your visit with a quick stop in the wine boutique where you can purchase rare wines of limited production as well as books and various items about the wine. Drive to Pyrgos Village for a short stop at the panoramic viewpoint to admire the unique formation of this island.

Your tour terminates in Fira Town, the capital of the island. After a short walk, you will reach the Archipelagos Restaurant situated at the edge of the caldera for a delightful lunch. The charm of this cliff-top village lies in it's very narrow, twisting cobblestone paths that cater to pedestrians only. You will have free time in Fira Town for independent browsing and shopping. From Fira you will join the cable car (ticket provided) and descend independently to the old port. A local tender will ferry you back to the ship, which will be anchored offshore.

Note: Guests must be able to walk approximately 1.5 miles over varying terrain, inclines and 20 to 30 steps. Participants will be required to walk approximately 0.5 mile in Fira Town on their own to reach the cable car station. Waiting and queuing time are expected to enter the cable car station. Tour order may vary but all listed sights will be covered. Participation on this tour is limited but a minimum is required in order for the tour to operate. This tour cannot accommodate children under the age of 6 years. Due to occasional low level fog, visibility may be impacted. Please note that in October some stores in Fira town are closed.

Do you remember the name of the winery? Was it Santos?

When we cruised with HAL, we went to the winery first - Santos in Pygros, using the ships tendering excursion that let us off at the Athinos port. After the winery, we went to Oia. It sounds like the Celebrity tour goes to Oia first, and then the winery.

Saw your pictures of Santos on another thread. Beautiful.

Has anyone done the Exclusive Santorini Tour that is $345.00 per person? We have been to Santorini a number of times (rented a car last time), would never pay at full price but sister company Azamara had a 50% promotion on the shore excursions.

I wanted to know if anyone took the tour and enjoyed it. I know the cost to sit down and eat lunch in a Santorini restaurant.

Thanks.

==

Exclusive Santorini Tour - SO18

spacer.gif

After disembarkation, you will board a private tender for a boat tour of the two islets of Palea and Nea Kameni (volcano) before arriving at the port of Athinios to board your coach and enjoy the scenic drive to the traditional village of Oia.

The beautiful village of Oia is perched atop a craggy cliff at the northern most point of the island, offering panoramic views of steep plummeting cliffs and nearby small islands surrounded by the deep blue sea. The charm of this lovely traditional and somewhat removed village lies in its very narrow, twisting cobblestone alleyways and steps, pointing out the brilliant white stone buildings that create a maze of fine shops, cafes, and domed churches. Walking through the village, you can enjoy the panoramic views and admire the Cycladic architecture for which the town is well known. Meet with your guide and visit the naval museum. A neoclassical old mansion restored and converted to a museum, housing the maritime history of Santorini.

Rejoin your coach and continue to the village of Megalohori to visit the Boutari Winery, one of the most elegant wineries on the island. Specially trained personnel will guide you through the production facilities and its underground cellars. After the tour, you are initiated in the art of wine tasting and treated with local mezes (typical Greek Snacks). Complete your visit with a quick stop in the wine boutique where you can purchase rare wines of limited production as well as books and various items about the wine. Drive to Pyrgos Village for a short stop at the panoramic viewpoint to admire the unique formation of this island.

Your tour terminates in Fira Town, the capital of the island. After a short walk, you will reach the Archipelagos Restaurant situated at the edge of the caldera for a delightful lunch. The charm of this cliff-top village lies in it's very narrow, twisting cobblestone paths that cater to pedestrians only. You will have free time in Fira Town for independent browsing and shopping. From Fira you will join the cable car (ticket provided) and descend independently to the old port. A local tender will ferry you back to the ship, which will be anchored offshore.

Note: Guests must be able to walk approximately 1.5 miles over varying terrain, inclines and 20 to 30 steps. Participants will be required to walk approximately 0.5 mile in Fira Town on their own to reach the cable car station. Waiting and queuing time are expected to enter the cable car station. Tour order may vary but all listed sights will be covered. Participation on this tour is limited but a minimum is required in order for the tour to operate. This tour cannot accommodate children under the age of 6 years. Due to occasional low level fog, visibility may be impacted. Please note that in October some stores in Fira town are closed.

Hi, Our group of 4 did this excursion last summer on the Equinox...and yes we did enjoy it. We were in Oia before the crowds, and had plenty of time to explore...and even sit down in a cafe for coffee and snacks. Since the town was not crowded yet, we had plenty of time also to talk to town people/shopkeepers etc...some wonderful stories and friendships made. Boutari winery was nice, and even tho it was a bit early for wine, that did not STOP us from partaking !!:D The only part of the winery tour that was a bit questionable was a short 15-20 minute movie they showed...nobody was really enjoying it and were getting restless.

Lunch was excellent...and the view sublime. We lingered longer than most in our group and were treated to more wine and dessert...and enjoyed talking with restaurant folks.

Overall, an excellent tour. Note: that I was the only one of the four of us who had been to Santorini before, so I picked the tour to give my wife and friends the best overall impression of the area in the short time we had.

There was some walking involved in getting to the restaurant and one of the ladies in my group, and several others on the tour had some difficulty (steep incline)...just FYI

Hi, Our group of 4 did this excursion last summer on the Equinox...and yes we did enjoy it. We were in Oia before the crowds, and had plenty of time to explore...and even sit down in a cafe for coffee and snacks. Since the town was not crowded yet, we had plenty of time also to talk to town people/shopkeepers etc...some wonderful stories and friendships made. Boutari winery was nice, and even tho it was a bit early for wine, that did not STOP us from partaking !!:D The only part of the winery tour that was a bit questionable was a short 15-20 minute movie they showed...nobody was really enjoying it and were getting restless.

Lunch was excellent...and the view sublime. We lingered longer than most in our group and were treated to more wine and dessert...and enjoyed talking with restaurant folks.

Overall, an excellent tour. Note: that I was the only one of the four of us who had been to Santorini before, so I picked the tour to give my wife and friends the best overall impression of the area in the short time we had.

There was some walking involved in getting to the restaurant and one of the ladies in my group, and several others on the tour had some difficulty (steep incline)...just FYI

Thank you for posting about your experience. This will be my third visit (first was for about a week) and DH's second. We have been all over the Island including Oia, Fira of course including museum, beach, Anna's farm stand, lighthouse, winery (the one with the views), Pyrgos Village, monastery.

We have no motility issues and had lunch in the village below Oia overlooking the sea.

I notice it says "Drive to Pyrgos Village for a short stop at the panoramic viewpoint". Did you not have time to walk through the village? We went but I never made it around to see the church and was hoping to go back. My DH went ahead of me but I took the wrong path. Also, did they actually explain the wine tasting, or did you just feel they were giving a pitch to sell the wine? My DH does not drink but it mentions some snacks. Also, how small was the group? It says limited, but that would be easy based on the price.

Thank you for posting about your experience. This will be my third visit (first was for about a week) and DH's second. We have been all over the Island including Oia, Fira of course including museum, beach, Anna's farm stand, lighthouse, winery (the one with the views), Pyrgos Village, monastery.

We have no motility issues and had lunch in the village below Oia overlooking the sea.

I notice it says "Drive to Pyrgos Village for a short stop at the panoramic viewpoint". Did you not have time to walk through the village? We went but I never made it around to see the church and was hoping to go back. My DH went ahead of me but I took the wrong path. Also, did they actually explain the wine tasting, or did you just feel they were giving a pitch to sell the wine? My DH does not drink but it mentions some snacks. Also, how small was the group? It says limited, but that would be easy based on the price.

No, it was just a short photo-op stop. Our group was 18...And tho most did not even ask about the different wines...we did, and one of the staff there kind of hung around us at our table and explained each of the 4-5 wines we tasted. There was not even the slightest pitch to sell to us...Just a quick explanation of what was available and shipping/packing/self-carry options . There were several plates of snacks...and since we were the only group there...they were even replenished when gone.

All that said...would I do the tour again if I were I to visit Santorini again...Probably not. As I said I was the only one who had previously been and that was decades ago. If I were to go back, I'd do all over again on our own.

No, it was just a short photo-op stop. Our group was 18...And tho most did not even ask about the different wines...we did, and one of the staff there kind of hung around us at our table and explained each of the 4-5 wines we tasted. There was not even the slightest pitch to sell to us...Just a quick explanation of what was available and shipping/packing/self-carry options . There were several plates of snacks...and since we were the only group there...they were even replenished when gone.

All that said...would I do the tour again if I were I to visit Santorini again...Probably not. As I said I was the only one who had previously been and that was decades ago. If I were to go back, I'd do all over again on our own.

Thanks. It looks like the food at the restaurant has the standard chicken and pasta so my DH should like it. I pulled the menu but there were no prices. I think were we ate was easily $50.00pp with just some appetizers and drinks.

Archived