Debit Card ?

belle42118

Yes, you can, and you will have the same protections you'd have with a VISA credit card, if there's an error in your billing.

But, you may not want to do it. WHen you "guarantee" a room or charges ahead of time, the ship (or hotel, rental car, etc.) 'memo-posts' a certain amount against your card...an amount that is 'set aside' to be held for when you actually close out your charges. With a credit card, that's not a problem, because they're setting aside 'credit.' With a debit card, they're setting aside funds in your checking account. If you're sure that the amount that's being memo-posted/held aside won't be so much that you'll lose access to funds in your checking account that you need (ie: an auto-debit for your mortgage, etc.), it's fine. But, if you don't keep a large balance, there's a chance that a check could be returned NSF...when, in reality, the funds were just 'set aside' rather than really 'not sufficient.' The problem is that, generally speaking, you don't know the amount they are setting-aside. If that's not a concern, you definitely can guarantee and pay with your Visa Debit Card!

"I'm gonna book myself on that Princess Cruise."

-- Fox Mulder, X-Files 'Three Words'

I would be very cautious about using a debit card. WIth most, you cannot dispute a charge like you can with a credit card. Also, if stolen, I don't think you are protected against fraud in the same was as a credit card. If you didn't want to use a credit card, you might try a prepaid card with a limit that would be similar to using a debit card.

Judy

Cruisin in July on the Golden Princess

Thanks for all the good info. Son (who is in another cabin) and doesn't have a credit card, just wanted to use it for whatever was put on his sail card only. He would lock it up and not take it into ports.

Belle:

I always only use my debit card on on sail purchases. I don't like have debt so I make sure there is enough cash in my bank account and I go on my trip. When the month is over I don't have to worry about getting a large credit card bill.

In port I use one credit card for those really fun purchases.....jewelry, liquor, art etc. so then I am covered with my credit card icon_smile.gif

Hope this helped....

Archived