Has anyone done the Xunantunich Mayan Ruins

Cyn7

We did 2 years ago. Long bus ride,made longer because of traffic control for some national bike ride day, but decent comfortable buses with bathroom. Interesting ruins with high temple you can climb to the top and see all the surrounding area into Guatemala. Interesting hand cranked ferry across a small river. Good lunch. Long bus ride back. Prepare for an all day excursion, with no time for any shopping at the TV or Belikin at Wet Lizard.

I have the Xunantunich excursion booked through Carnival, but am still torn between it and an independent of Lamanai (which Carnival doesn't offer.)

My dilemma is this: This part of our cruise is primarily for my college-student son, who is massively into all things Mayan. He even took a college course last semester from one of the foremost Mayan experts in the U.S.

I know, from reading, that Lamanai is the more scenic of the two sites, but which is more appealing as a site itself? (beyond the boat ride and the monkeys -- which do sound REALLY neat for the rest of us at the least)

We've been to Chichen Itza and Tulum (which started him down this Mayan road) and loved them both for different reasons. Early morning at Chichen -- very few other tourists -- was incredible.

I'm a little worried about the amount of time at the ruins themselves. He will want to be there as long as possible. I'm wondering if a private excursion to Lamanai would offer a more personal experience than the Carnival tour to Xunantunich? Or would both be equally rushed because of the independent's extra time constraints?

Advice would be greatly appreciated ...

I have the Xunantunich excursion booked through Carnival, but am still torn between it and an independent of Lamanai (which Carnival doesn't offer.)

My dilemma is this: This part of our cruise is primarily for my college-student son, who is massively into all things Mayan. He even took a college course last semester from one of the foremost Mayan experts in the U.S.

I know, from reading, that Lamanai is the more scenic of the two sites, but which is more appealing as a site itself? (beyond the boat ride and the monkeys -- which do sound REALLY neat for the rest of us at the least)

We've been to Chichen Itza and Tulum (which started him down this Mayan road) and loved them both for different reasons. Early morning at Chichen -- very few other tourists -- was incredible.

I'm a little worried about the amount of time at the ruins themselves. He will want to be there as long as possible. I'm wondering if a private excursion to Lamanai would offer a more personal experience than the Carnival tour to Xunantunich? Or would both be equally rushed because of the independent's extra time constraints?

Advice would be greatly appreciated ...

Your son is going to feel rushed at either site, due to time constraints. Most visitors are looking at the scenery not the history. Xunantunich was a major ceremonial center during the classical Mayan period and it has not only the ceremonial temple but a ball court and restored residence section of the wealthiest Mayans. Can be very impressive. I think a bit attraction to Lamanai is it's jungle locale and the bird sanctuary and the river ride to get there which make it seem like an adventure. While it was the longest continually inhabited maya city in this area, less than 80 structures have been restored or partially restored. But it's Jaguar mask carvings are excellent and the stelaes are in excelelnt condition.

I recently did the CCL tour to Xanantunich in Dec 2010. Bussed to the river crossing on a hand cranked raft, then walked to the ruins.....got a talk and saw a layout map of the grounds on the walk in.....ruins are large, and spaced out, it is an awesome climb to the top of the largest structure.....if you suffer from vertigo or have a fear of falling, perhaps you shouldn't climb it.....no handrails, steep steps, but rewarded with a great view. On the way back, the bus stops at a "roadside inn" for a local lunch, chicken and rice and beans, not bad. It's an all day affair.

I enjoyed this excursion better than the Altun Ha river trip which I did in Jan 2011. Tulum, Coba and Chichen Itza are at the top of my list of Mayan ruins.

Thanks for the reviews. I was just not to sure about the long bus ride and was thinking of going with one of the Altun Ha trips.

I'm doing something different in Cozumel so I won't be seeing ruins there.

Since yor son has a particular interest in the Mayans, if your budget will allow you might want to hire a private guide and go to Xunantunich and Cahal Pech. Cahal Pech is right on the way (5 minutes off the highway) and you can see a lot of it in the same 1 hour that a group tour would take eating lunch.

• 1 month later...

Archived