HOHO Buses in Liverpool, Belfast & Edinburgh

neepawa

We have used HOHO buses in other cities and would like to use this form of touring in Liverpool, Belfast and Edinburgh.

Does anyone know if Princess provides shuttles in these cities and if you can buy the HOHO tickets when boarding the bus anywhere along the route. I know you can buy the tickets on-line but prefer to leave my options open.

Thanks

Don

One thing to keep in mind is that it's at least an hour's drive, taxi or otherwise, from where you tender to Edinburgh. There are no shuttles provided by Princess to Edinburgh but you can book a transfer to Edinburgh that leaves the city back to the pier in the afternoon. I believe it's called "Edinburgh on your own" or something like that. In Liverpool, you'll dock right in the city. In Belfast, I believe its a short walk into the main section. In Belfast, there's a lot to see and you dont want to miss the government buildings. I don't remember a HOHO bus there so you might consider a city tour. I loved Belfast. There is a shuttle provided for a minimal cost in Dublin.

Hi Neepawa (lovely town by the way!)

DH and I did the HoHo bus in Belfast and found it to be very well done. There was a real human being as the guide (not like London where he info is recorded) and the bus takes you to all the most interesting places. Our guide was very informative about the "troubles" and explained a lot about the history of the city and region. Well worth it. It is close to where the ship docks, as is the Titanic shipyard!!! I can't remember how we got to the downtown but it is not far.

As Pam says the trip to Edinburgh is a bit of a journey but you will see some beautiful Scottish countryside (if it isn't raining!!) The HoHo bus again was well worth it and we did hop on and off as Edinburgh is built on a hill so walking up the Royal Mile is a bit of a struggle.

Any other questions about those cities I will be glad to answer. Have not yet been to Liverpool so no help there.

Laurel

Pam and CanadacruiseRN

Thanks for your replies. Do you remember if you were able to buy the tickets when you got on the bus or did you have to buy them at a central station.

CanadacruiseRN.

We hope you are staying dry and that the Red River is not causing you any problems.

Don

Thanks for your replies. Do you remember if you were able to buy the tickets when you got on the bus or did you have to buy them at a central station.
Don, I took ship's tours in those cities so I didn't research the HOHO buses.

You can buy tickets on the bus and at most of the stops in these cities. We've taken HOHO buses in all these cities. They have employees at the main pick up stops and they have info and tickets for sale right there.

The stop for Liverpool is within eyesight of the ship by the Titanic memorial.

The Belfast stop is a short shuttle ride away from the port and it is an excellent tour, with live guides who don't shy away from talking about the history and doing so with great humor and in a very interesting way. Loved the whole tour.

The Edinburgh tour is great and takes you right near the castle. Hopefully they've finished all the construction in the center of town by now... The drawback is that the ship anchors in South Queensferry, which is a 45 minute ride away from Edinburgh. The ship shuttled us into town that day.

The HOHO buses are excellent ways of getting around these cities and are easily accessible and very tourist friendly.

The HOHO buses are excellent ways of getting around these cities and are easily accessible and very tourist friendly.

No surprise there really:)

In Edinburgh there are two 'must sees' at either end of the Royal Mile. Holyrood House at the bottom and the Castle at the top. Only the very fit would want to walk it. The castle itself involves a fair bit of walking and you might want to be there for the one-o-clock gun.

• 1 year later...

Princess do not provide shuttle buses in Belfast, Its The tourist board that pay for the Free shuttle buses into the city where you can board the HOHO buses. There are 2 providers. 1 is a local company called Allens ,The other is City sightseeing, the worldwide company which provides a better service. Book online for the best rate. http://www.belfastcitysightseeing.com/

Hi There

If you are to handle a few steps then there is a railway station not far from where the tenders drop you at South Queensferrry,

the trains run constantly and take you right into the heart of Edinburgh next to where the HOHO start,

yours Shogun

As others have mentioned you'll berth right in the heart of my wonderful city of Liverpool. The ship will be right next to the 'three graces' which is a collection of buildings comprising of; the Liver Building, Cunard Building, and Port of Liverpool Building.

I took some photos last year when a Princess ship was in port and here's one showing where the HoHo bus stops:

IMG_1809.JPG

This is the Port of Liverpool Building and is a 2 to 3 minute walk from the ship. There were quite a few people buying tickets as they boarded the bus.

Have a great day in a fabulous city!

Debbie:)

No surprise there really:)

In Edinburgh there are two 'must sees' at either end of the Royal Mile. Holyrood House at the bottom and the Castle at the top. Only the very fit would want to walk it. The castle itself involves a fair bit of walking and you might want to be there for the one-o-clock gun.

What I did was take a taxi to the castle, which is the highest point. After touring the castle, I walked downhill, stopping at the Scotch Whiskey Museum and St. Giles Cathedral. It was a very pleasant walk. I ended up at the main train station. Holyrood Palace is a little far.

We have used HOHO buses in other cities and would like to use this form of touring in Liverpool, Belfast and Edinburgh.

Does anyone know if Princess provides shuttles in these cities and if you can buy the HOHO tickets when boarding the bus anywhere along the route. I know you can buy the tickets on-line but prefer to leave my options open.

Thanks

Don

Hi Don, you might what to go on your cruise roll call and your fellow cruisers might have small groups going as well ...

I spent 9 days in Edinburgh last May for both vacation and a conference. We walked everywhere and the city is VERY hilly. For the short time you will be there, Edinburgh castle is a must see. The other really interesting thing to tour is the royal yacht Brittania.

Be aware of the British vs. the Scottish pound though. Try to avoid getting change in Scottish pound notes-they are hard to turn in at currency exchange counters and they rarely will allow you to use them in other parts of the UK-found this out in York and at Heathrow airport!

Hi All

Should be no problem using

Bank of England

Bank of Scotland

Royal Bank of Scotland

or Clydesdale Bank notes in any part of UK main land be it England Wales or Scotland,

You can even use them in Gibraltar

Bank of Ireland is different likewise channel islands.

yours shogun

Hi All

Should be no problem using

Bank of England

Bank of Scotland

Royal Bank of Scotland

or Clydesdale Bank notes in any part of UK main land be it England Wales or Scotland,

You can even use them in Gibraltar

Bank of Ireland is different likewise channel islands.

yours shogun

Sorry, I know we're slipping off topic here but the problem with the Scottish "foreign";) bank notes is if an English sales assistant doesn't recognise the money they won't accept it. As you point out there are three different Banks in Scotland that issue their own notes and each of them has different designs, just to add to the confusion.

If you are having problems spending Scottish notes in England then any High-street Bank should be happy to exchange Scottish to English notes no problem, and Bank of Ireland as well, and you will be able to change them at the Foreign Exchange Desks at the airport for the same rate. Some countries I've visited, notably India. have been known to offer a different rate for Scottish notes, and then some refuse to accept them totally.

Its one of the quirks of being the United Kingdom.

Dave

One thing to keep in mind is that it's at least an hour's drive, taxi or otherwise, from where you tender to Edinburgh. /quote]

Sorry Pam, but I live just outside Edinburgh and by no stretch of the imagination would it take an hour by taxi from the tender point into Edinburgh. From South Queensferry, it would be about 20 minutes to Princes Street and there's also the option of train to Waverley, Edinburgh's main station, which would be 15 minutes. I went into Edinburgh yesterday and there was actually an RCI ship at anchor just under the Forth Rail Bridge - awesome!

Sorry, I know we're slipping off topic here but the problem with the Scottish "foreign";) bank notes is if an English sales assistant doesn't recognise the money they won't accept it. As you point out there are three different Banks in Scotland that issue their own notes and each of them has different designs, just to add to the confusion.

If you are having problems spending Scottish notes in England then any High-street Bank should be happy to exchange Scottish to English notes no problem, and Bank of Ireland as well, and you will be able to change them at the Foreign Exchange Desks at the airport for the same rate. Some countries I've visited, notably India. have been known to offer a different rate for Scottish notes, and then some refuse to accept them totally.

Its one of the quirks of being the United Kingdom.

Dave

We've never had any problem spending Scottish notes in other parts of the UK. Of course, YMMV.

Archived