9 day pre-cruise itinerary

genegri

This will be my first time on land in Alaska! So excited.

I have worked out the following itinerary, hoping someone can let me know what you think. I have a LOT of little questions here and there. Any feedback is highly appreciated!

Two people: DH and me. Early 30's.

Day 0: Ariving in Anchorage, overnight Anchorage

Day 1: pick up rental car and drive to Denali, stop at Talkeetna, overnight Denali

Day 2: bus shuttle to wonder lake (haven't booked yet, I know I know, I should get started soon), overnight Denali

Day 3: drive to Paxson via Fairbanks and Richardson Hwy (may go through Denali Hwy if possible, but going through Fairbanks might be more feasible), overnight Paxson

Day 4: driveto McCarthy (really worried here because we are only renting a little car), overnight McCarthy

Day 5: drive to Valdez, overnight Valdez

Day 6: A tour in Valdez (debating between Stan Stephens, Columbia Glacier or Anadyr Adventures. Which one has the best tour or kayaking?), overnight Valdez

Day 7: driving back to Anchorage via Glenn Hwy, overnight Anchorage

Day 8: drive to Seward to visit Exit Glacier and little stops along the way (Is the 6 hour round trip too much? I know we won't have time for KF tour, sigh)

Day 9: Train to Seward (what can we do in the afternoon? where can we put the luggage?) Embark HAL at 6pm and set sail at 8pm

What does everyone think? Too little time in Denali? Too much driving? DH and I enjoy road trips but don't want to rush to the point we can't stop to take in the views. Is the drive to McCarthy bad? Is there anything to do in McCarthy? A little worried there.

I would love to spend one night in Seward but I am worried about staying in Seward without a car and without anywhere to put our luggage.

Rental car is crazy expensive! Around $800 a week for a compact! Thank goodness we are minimalist packers. Any suggestions to where I can find a better deal?

Thank you so much in advance!

You might want to check with the rental car company as most don’t allow their cars to be driven on gravel roads. There’s quite a distance near McCarthy that is gravel. I did see that the road was improved a bit recently and there are a few more rental car companies that are allowing it although they will let you know that it does not mean their insurance or your personal insurance will cover a loss due to the gravel road.

You also might consider taking the ferry from Valdez to Whittier instead of driving the long way around on the Glenn and Richardson Highways. The advantage here is that you get another slice of Alaska on the ferry and save some time. The disadvantage is that you will miss Matanuska Glacier that you’d see by using the Glenn/Richardson. Matanuska is a highlight for me.

You might want to check with the rental car company as most don’t allow their cars to be driven on gravel roads. There’s quite a distance near McCarthy that is gravel. I did see that the road was improved a bit recently and there are a few more rental car companies that are allowing it although they will let you know that it does not mean their insurance or your personal insurance will cover a loss due to the gravel road.

You also might consider taking the ferry from Valdez to Whittier instead of driving the long way around on the Glenn and Richardson Highways. The advantage here is that you get another slice of Alaska on the ferry and save some time. The disadvantage is that you will miss Matanuska Glacier that you’d see by using the Glenn/Richardson. Matanuska is a highlight for me.

Totally agree with Chilkoot. A lot of the car rental agencies out of Anchorage will not allow you to take their cars onto gravel roads and as he said double check if they do allow what their insurance or your insurance would cover. Trust me, you don't want to be paying them loss of revenue because they have to pay to have a windshield, headlight, etc. replaced.

Also, that's a long way to drive to McCarthy just to stay one night. Don't let the mileage fool you. Besides what DOT has paved the majority of the road is the old railroad bed. So you definitely won't be speeding on that road and from what I understand, according to how the weather may be, you may be dodging potholes. And if you would happen to have a flat or something there are no services out there.

Also, you can't drive into McCarthy. You'll drive up to a bridge on the other side of the Kennicott River and park there. It's private vendors for the parking so you'll be paying too.

Susan in Anchorage :)

You are going to have to rethink some of this. There isn't anything in Paxon, and most all the regular car rentals prohibit you from driving the Denali Highway, and to McCarthy. The Denali Highway is excellent, so I would suggest you find a car rental, likely via an independent who will allow this drive. But, you are going to have to either fly in to McCarthy or shuttle, the road is ROUGH.

I have done Stan Stephens only, in Valdez, it is excellent.

Your Seward ideas aren't a good use of time, nor reality based in my opinion. You are wasting valuable time driving back and forth. Take the train to Seward ONCE and stay there. You do NOT need a car. Taxis are available and there isn't that far you need to go. It is $10pp for the shuttle to Exit Glacier, everything else is less. IF you HAVE to have a car, then rent one from Hertz.

Chilkoot and Susan in Anchorage,

Thank you so much for your input! :):):)

Now with that information, I think I will just skip McCarthy. I read many nice things about the drive to McCarthy and Kennicott. But I think I will play it safe.

So now I will skip McCarthy and have one more day. Do you have any suggestions where I should spend it? Is there a tour near Denali, or Paxson or Valdez that's particularly nice that I should check it out? Or just spend it in Seward? Too bad I don't think we will have any time for Homer.

I debated about using the ferry versus driving back through Glenn Hwy. I know the ferry will offer a unique experience, but it's 8 hours and afterwards I will need to wait for the tunnel to open. Seems a little restrictive and it will likely take a full day so I won't be able to do much by the time I get to Seward. Besides, it runs about $300 for two people plus a car. That's why I am now leaning toward just drive back to Anchorage through Glenn, which I hear is also very beautiful.

BudgeQueen,

Thank you for your input! I also read a lot of your posts on other websites like TripAdvisor. I really appreiciate all the suggestions you give to me and other Alaska travelers!

I will search for an independent car rental. Any suggestions as to where to start?

I think you guys are all right, I will just take the train to Seward and spend the last two nights there.

I read that it's spectacular on Richardson Hwy and Glenn Hwy, that's why I would like to do the loop of Anchorage, Parks Hwy, Richarson Hwy and Glenn Hwy. If I don't go through Paxson, is there anywhere else I can spend the night?

Chilkoot and Susan in Anchorage,

Thank you so much for your input! :):):)

Now with that information, I think I will just skip McCarthy. I read many nice things about the drive to McCarthy and Kennicott. But I think I will play it safe.

So now I will skip McCarthy and have one more day. Do you have any suggestions where I should spend it? Is there a tour near Denali, or Paxson or Valdez that's particularly nice that I should check it out? Or just spend it in Seward? Too bad I don't think we will have any time for Homer.

I debated about using the ferry versus driving back through Glenn Hwy. I know the ferry will offer a unique experience, but it's 8 hours and afterwards I will need to wait for the tunnel to open. Seems a little restrictive and it will likely take a full day so I won't be able to do much by the time I get to Seward. Besides, it runs about $300 for two people plus a car. That's why I am now leaning toward just drive back to Anchorage through Glenn, which I hear is also very beautiful.

You could add the night on Sheep Mt. area, then take in a trek of Matanuska glacier? But the ferry is not 8 hours, and it is an excellent transit on the regular ferry, not the fast ferry. :) The tunnel opens every hour, so not all that "restrictive". :)

Listings for car rentals in Anchorage http://www.anchorage.net

Archived