What if there's a hurricaine?

abisha

I booked our cruise for August on the Destiny (GT/HMC/Nassau) and fully aware it's during hurricaine season, but wanted to take advantage of the lower price as it fit our budget.

For those who have travelled during hurricaine season and actually encountered one during their cruise, can you tell me what to expect? :confused:Would the ship reroute? And for how long..the entire cruise? Do you just stay out to sea the entire time? Does the ship do a different itinerary and go to other ports (would my eastern carribbean become a western?). Is it possible the cruise could get cancelled altogether? What about excursions... would there be a refund? And more importantly, if you are in the midst of one, is it very scary and are you at great danger? :eek:

I live in New England and am familiar with what it's like during a hurricaine, but on land..so I don't know what it would be like at sea.

I'm going with an open mind..that anything could happen and just go with the flow.

I mainly travel in Sept which is still in peak hurricane season.

In 2008 we only made 2 out of 4 ports. HMC and Grand Turk were both cancelled. Both of these ports are tender ports and the seas were to rough. They just became sea days instead.

We have also been rerouted to different ports to avoid the hurricanes path. Once we ended up in freeport and the town was scrambling last minute cause no ships were scheduled to come in that day.

They will issue refunds on excursions, and port fees for any that are missed. I think we also received a $20 OBC per person for missing the port.

I have never heard of them ever cancelling a crusie completely due to the hurricanes but I could be wrong. Just remember if you book independent tours that they have a refund policy if you do not make it to port if you have to prepay.

Hopes this answers your questions...

They will do what they have to do to keep the passengers and crew and the ship safe.

Be prepared that you might go on an entirely different itinerary.

We cruise Sept/Oct for lower prices and have not had problems.

TheShips Capt will guide the vessel directly into the on coming storm to see if it makes the passangers sea sick.

Ok that is a story pissed off'ed cruisers will say about missing ports or rough seas. As mentioned they avoid them as much as possible.

John

Dont park at the port if there is a chance of a hurricane hitting S. FL. Never saw my car again after Ike hit Galveston.... I could care less about missing a few ports.

Last Sept we tried to get into Jamaica during a "named" tropicale storm to pick up our entertainment. Tried and tried to dock (never did). Many pax were pissed off saying they had been told Carnival would not sail into a storm. wrong.. we sure did!!! and then we had to sail thru it for the next 24 hours (barf bag time) to get to Caymans which of course we missed. .. so we missed 2 out of 3 ports. We had a uprising, mostly newbies, who naively said, "I booked this cruise to see jamaica" and didnt get no ports are guaranteed.

OP if you are ok with missing a few ports, thats usually is all that happens and a little rough weather. If they knew ahead of time, which they usually dont, as storms turn the last minute, then they could substitute a port. Iv heard of them reversing the ports too.

Its a chance you take. I still cruise during hurricane season and year round. Hurricane season is so long, its hard to avoid.

Dont park at the port if there is a chance of a hurricane hitting S. FL. Never saw my car again after Ike hit Galveston.... I could care less about missing a few ports.

Its a chance you take. I still cruise during hurricane season and year round. Hurricane season is so long, its hard to avoid.

where did it go??

OP- just be ready for some adjustments to the itinerary

We cruise during hurricane season every year,,,not once but usually two or three cruises every Fall. Yes, we've missed ports, but NO, we've never missed a cruise. We've been directed to Eastern when the cruise was supposed to go Western. We've missed a lot of ports, and yes, if you had an excursion booked, WITH THE SHIP, you'll be given a refund, as well as a refund for the port charges at that port. (I couldn't care less, as we've been to all the ports again and again.) As long as you can safely get aboard, you'll have a GREAT cruise. The captain will do whatever he needs to do to keep you, and the ship safe. Enjoy the wonderful prices. I DO! :D

"SKY"

where did it go??

OP- just be ready for some adjustments to the itinerary

Underwater. Called my insurance and lost everything in the car (didnt have homeowners which turns out is all that covers contents).

Galveston was closed for weeks later, and by the time I could have made my way to my car everything in it was ruined anyway, so I never went back to get the stuff out of my car. (the ship docked in New Orleans, left Galveston).

We cruise during hurricane season every year,,,not once but usually two or three cruises every Fall. Yes, we've missed ports, but NO, we've never missed a cruise. We've been directed to Eastern when the cruise was supposed to go Western. We've missed a lot of ports, and yes, if you had an excursion booked, WITH THE SHIP, you'll be given a refund, as well as a refund for the port charges at that port. (I couldn't care less, as we've been to all the ports again and again.) As long as you can safely get aboard, you'll have a GREAT cruise. The captain will do whatever he needs to do to keep you, and the ship safe. Enjoy the wonderful prices. I DO! :D

"SKY"

No cruiseline I know of refunds port charges. Carnival used to give a flat $25, but now gives the taxes on the port fees, approx $10 pp per port missed, which isnt even close to the NCFs (port charges) embedded in the cruise fare.

Everything written above is true. We usually go during August as the rates are the cheapest. Out of five trips we only had one brush with a hurricane......She was a wicked one named Katrina. The captain skirted around the storm but it was still rough. We missed 2 out of 3 ports and were given credit for the ports missed. It was a rough ride for a couple of days.....kind of what you see in the movies with dishes and what not slipping from the tables When the crew starts getting sick you know it's rough. The dining and public areas were deserted as most passengers just laid low in their rooms. It's an amazing sight to see the ocean raging like that. Take some sea sickness medicine just in case. The crew will take the safest route possible.

No cruiseline I know of refunds port charges. Carnival used to give a flat $25, but now gives the taxes on the port fees, approx $10 pp per port missed, which isnt even close to the NCFs (port charges) embedded in the cruise fare.

GEEEZE! Picky, Picky, Picky. O.K.,,they refund the TAXES on the port fees. Fly, you can really be a P.I.A.

"SKY"

GEEEZE! Picky, Picky, Picky. O.K.,,they refund the TAXES on the port fees. Fly, you can really be a P.I.A.

"SKY"

Port charges run about $50 per port per person...BIG difference if you are the one missing two ports.

Even the $25 pp policy in effect when I booked, we would have gotten $100 instead of $40ish ... they changed the $25 just as hurricane season started last fall... typical Carnival changing the policy on already booked cruises.

I dont want anyone to assume they will get port charges back. Myself Id rather know.

Port charges run about $50 per port per person...BIG difference if you are the one missing two ports.

Even the $25 pp policy in effect when I booked, we would have gotten $100 instead of $40ish ... they changed the $25 just as hurricane season started last fall... typical Carnival changing the policy on already booked cruises.

I dont want anyone to assume they will get port charges back. Myself Id rather know.

So,,The 'Imagination" sailing Oct 10th for $199 per person, hits Cozumel, and Key West. According to you, that's about $100 in port charges, (embedded into the fare, according to you) so that leaves the actual fare to Carnival at $99? I wonder how they can make it on such a small fare?

"SKY"

OP, we cruise in August, too. First off, my travel agent told us before we even selected a cruise, that if there was a place we REALLY wanted to go, we should just go there by plane, because you can never be sure a ship will follow it's itinerary. That said, we picked a cruise.

Since it was our first, my philosophy was that I'd never been to any of these places before, so if we were re-routed, it didn't matter. They could have told me any island was Grand Turk, and I wouldn't have known the difference, nor would I have cared. So, if you go in with the attitude that you'll have a good time, you sure will.

And yes, we got re-routed once due to a hurricane. The ship stayed late in one port, and then did a substitute port, and kept us far enough ahead of the coming storm to keep us in normal seas the whole time. It got ugly after we got back to Port Canaveral, but we were on the way home anyway!

Happy planning, and have a wonderful time...you'll be hooked by the time you get home.

So,,The 'Imagination" sailing Oct 10th for $199 per person, hits Cozumel, and Key West. According to you, that's about $100 in port charges, (embedded into the fare, according to you) so that leaves the actual fare to Carnival at $99? I wonder how they can make it on such a small fare?

"SKY"

I sailed the Imagination. on a five night. We did not make it to G C and O R. we went to Freeport for 4 days. I paid 149.pp plus tax and port. total of 219 each.

We were givin 100 obc, open bar for 2 hours and 25% of next cruise.

We booked and paid last October for a May, 2011 Splendor cruise. Carnival canceled Mazatlan in February, but is not refunding or crediting those port fees back to us. Our TA has discussed this with Carnival and they are not giving in.

Current cruise fees are reflecting the lower cost.

Missouri Mule

"SKY"

Makes you wonder right?? I have never sailed on carnival that cheap on carnival out of the gulf ... must be nice.

They need to sell a lot of booze. Thats why cruiselines make such a big deal of how much onboard charges people do, not just that they sail full. I know that was mentioned when they pulled Elation from Mobile, low onboard spending. CNBC has a cruise show about how much booze they needed to sell during some cruise to break even.

It is true the cruisefare is a loss leader many times.

Ask a TA how much is pulled out of the cruisefare that they receive commission on.

I was just trying to explain what I personally, had experienced when sailing during hurricane season. Yes, we got the $9.98 per person refund, credited to our sign-n-sail account. I really don't think that most people care if that's the actual port charge, or if it's the tax on the port charge, and in fact, I doubt that 99 out of 100 know if it's the port charge, or the tax. Bottom line is that USUALLY, you'll see some kind of a credit on your sign-n-sail card when you're forced to miss a port. Granted,,,,not always,,,,but usually. If the actual port charge is embedded into the cruise fare, that's news to me, as I always thought the "port charge" was the fee labeled "port charge"? :o

"SKY"

I was just trying to explain what I personally, had experienced when sailing during hurricane season. Yes, we got the $9.98 per person refund, credited to our sign-n-sail account. I really don't think that most people care if that's the actual port charge, or if it's the tax on the port charge, and in fact, I doubt that 99 out of 100 know if it's the port charge, or the tax. Bottom line is that USUALLY, you'll see some kind of a credit on your sign-n-sail card when you're forced to miss a port. Granted,,,,not always,,,,but usually. If the actual port charge is embedded into the cruise fare, that's news to me, as I always thought the "port charge" was the fee labeled "port charge"? :o

"SKY"

Iv heard some TAs do break it out. Iv never had a cruise on carnival breaking it out. I now book direct with Carnival and they only add on a small charge called "govt fees and taxes".

The only way you would be seeing this fee for port charges you mention is if you are booking with a TA. Its still grouped together. Even TAs now do not know the break down by port of the port charges. Carnival lumps them all together and just calls them noncommionsable fare.

If you used to cruise back in the old days you might remember the add on fees and taxes could easily be another $300 and FL AG decided it was deceptive advertising and filed a class action suit to make cruiselines not add it on (during the 1990s)

Off topic somewhat .. but people leading group cruises are also surprised to find out the free berth for leading a group cruise is the fare MINUS the NCFs and other fees. Someone said they got a check for $144.xx for a 7 day cruise and thought they got ripped off.

On our last cruise- Legend 10/31/2010, we hit the tail end of Hurricane Tomas. When we arrived at the port, we were notified that we would be doing the ports in reverse order. Cozumel and Belize we had great sunny weather, Roatan it rained all day and from that day on the seas were rough. We arrived at Grand Cayman with no rain but due to choppy seas we could not tender. I know the Captain did everything he could to make this port, even trying to go to the other side of the island but to no avail. The excrusion desk was even selling tours up to 5 minutes before the announcement came that we would not be making the port, so I really know that they did try. We were refunded something like $13 and change pp. The ship did try to add extra activities for our now 2 days at sea. The ship was very rocky and windy so if you do sail during Hurricane season, be sure to bring your seasick meds or the patch. We had both and did fine but the evening of GC the dining room was pretty empty and the ship was really rocking.

"SKY"

They make up for it with: Lost towel charges, gold by the inch, those stupid carved coconut drinks. What are those, like $20 bucks a pop? 10 coconuts pays for your crusie fare!:)

They make up for it with: Lost towel charges, gold by the inch, those stupid carved coconut drinks. What are those, like $20 bucks a pop? 10 coconuts pays for your crusie fare!:)

HA,,,you got that right. I guess they'll probably bar me from cruising Carnival pretty soon, because after 29 "counted" Carnival cruises, I've learned to "resist" most of that crap! ;) My "Sign-n-Sail" bill has finally gotten to a level that I can stand! I've even trained the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) to resist the $20 bingo cards, gold by the inch, and the $10 glasses of wine. We still totally enjoy our cruises, but don't run up that bill like we used to! :eek:

"SKY"

OP, we cruise in August, too. First off, my travel agent told us before we even selected a cruise, that if there was a place we REALLY wanted to go, we should just go there by plane, because you can never be sure a ship will follow it's itinerary. That said, we picked a cruise.

And if you had decided to go to one of those islands by plane you would have run into the exact same hurricane that the cruise ship ran into. The only differences are (1) the airline wouldn't reroute you at the last minute to another island (and even if you could change your reservation, you wouldn't have a hotel waiting for you on the other island), and (2) you would have to rely on the airline and hotel to see about getting you a refund if you couldn't fly into the port (or if you were stuck in the port during a hurricane).

In the event of an actual hurricane, you're better off on a ship than in a hotel anyway. Cruise ships can move out of the path of a hurricane; hotels can't.

Of our 13 cruises, 9 have been summer cruises, and only three of those have been weather-impacted.

July 2005: Carnival Conquest and Hurricane Dennis. We made it to Jamaica with no problem, but the folks on the island were already getting ready for the hurricane. Next day we skipped GC and sailed straight to Cozumel, docked around dinnertime and stayed the next day. (We're probably some of the few people that have gangway photos from Cozumel dated two consecutive days.:p) Left Cozumel on time but the port of New Orleans closed when the hurricane made landfall in Alabama - we spent an extra day at sea. Even though we weren't near the hurricane, the Gulf was pretty rough and there were a fair number of people suffering from mal de mer.

August 2006: Carnival Victory and TS Eduardo. This was a NYC-Canada Labor Day cruise. On the second sea day on the way back to NYC we sailed through Eduardo's remnants. Pools closed, barf bags by the elevators. No danger to the ship, though.

September 2010: Carnival Glory and Hurricane Earl. Again, a NYC-Canada Labor Day cruise. (DH just took a new college teaching job and we won't be sailing over Labor Day again with his schedule.;)) The hurricane was forecast to hit the Bay of Fundy just about the same time we were sailing into Saint John. I was surprised they didn't just do a cruise to nowhere, but instead we sailed faster than usual, arrived in Saint John nine hours early, and were in port when the storm hit. Pretty much ruined our port day - most if not all of the excursions were canceled and a lot of people stayed on the ship. They stationed two tugboats on the side of the ship - I assume in case the mooring lines gave (they didn't). We then sailed late from Saint John back to NYC. I noticed some pitching (forward-aft movement) while we were sailing, but it wasn't rough. Didn't see many sick people - but then, I wondered whether a lot of people didn't take seasick meds in anticipation of rough seas.

Archived