Questions for MS Ryndam: 21 Night Med Cruise

Funsun60

We are new to Holland America and are booked for a 21 night cruise in September: Barcelona to Barcelona. We have some questions: hope they are not too basic and thank you in advance for your help.

1. Tipping in addition to the fixed $11/day/person. Do we tip in dollars or Euros?

2. I read somewhere that when ordering on line for refreshments sent to the cabin, to ask for delivery when at sea not in the cabin before embarcation. Apparently saves on taxes..I cannot find this post again and I am not sure what this means. Could someone please explain.

3. Does HAL have shuttles at most ports for people who are not signed up for tours in that particular place and it is too far to walk to the city centre?

4. If we want to bring wine on board and then pay corkage fee, are there wine stores close to the port in Barcelona. Duty free is limited amounts, and as we will be travelling for 3 weeks, it may be more advantageous for us to buy in Barcelona and then bring to the ship.

5. HAL hotel in Barcelona is AC Diplomat. We plan to book our own stay there; is less than half the price charged if going through HAL. We understand HAL has a representative at this hotel. Even if we book our own stay, will the HAL rep assist and answer questions for those booked on one of their cruises.

6. We want to travel as light as possible, so I hope the Ryndam also offers the unlimited laundry for $120? Is that correct?

7. We have done an Alaska cruise as well as a cruise through the Greek Islands-not with HAL- (Athens to Istanbul and return). Had decent weather both times. Is the marine weather in September/ early October generally good for sailing in the Mediterranean?

Thank you again for your help..we are really looking forward to this trip: it will be our 42nd wedding anniversary, so it should be fun

We are new to Holland America and are booked for a 21 night cruise in September: Barcelona to Barcelona. We have some questions: hope they are not too basic and thank you in advance for your help.

1. Tipping in addition to the fixed $11/day/person. Do we tip in dollars or Euros? Either is OK.

2. I read somewhere that when ordering on line for refreshments sent to the cabin, to ask for delivery when at sea not in the cabin before embarcation. Apparently saves on taxes..I cannot find this post again and I am not sure what this means. Could someone please explain. It may not matter in Europe, that is meant to apply to US sailings. However, Spain has added a tax that may hit you. Others will have better knowledge.

3. Does HAL have shuttles at most ports for people who are not signed up for tours in that particular place and it is too far to walk to the city centre? None in Europe that I recall from last year. Any shuttle usually has a fee, and is provided by the port.

4. If we want to bring wine on board and then pay corkage fee, are there wine stores close to the port in Barcelona. Duty free is limited amounts, and as we will be travelling for 3 weeks, it may be more advantageous for us to buy in Barcelona and then bring to the ship. Close is a relative term. None within about a mile I can recall.

5. HAL hotel in Barcelona is AC Diplomat. We plan to book our own stay there; is less than half the price charged if going through HAL. We understand HAL has a representative at this hotel. Even if we book our own stay, will the HAL rep assist and answer questions for those booked on one of their cruises. Sure, why not?

6. We want to travel as light as possible, so I hope the Ryndam also offers the unlimited laundry for $120? Is that correct? They will offer a program. The cost varies by length of sailing.

7. We have done an Alaska cruise as well as a cruise through the Greek Islands-not with HAL- (Athens to Istanbul and return). Had decent weather both times. Is the marine weather in September/ early October generally good for sailing in the Mediterranean? Quite nice.

Thank you again for your help..we are really looking forward to this trip: it will be our 42nd wedding anniversary, so it should be fun

Have a great trip.

Archived