How to keep in touch on ship

starshine214

Just wondering if you can use your cell on the ships to keep in touch. We are going on Freedom of the Seas and my mom is going to help watch our DS, so that DH and I can go out at night. I'm concerned though in case she would need to get in touch with us.

Thanks!

One year the kids club provided me with a beeper in case of an emergency. This was the worst thing ever- I was always watching it to see if there was an emergency.

The point is... your mother is an old pro. She will be fine. Tell her approximately where you will be MDR, certain bar, etc. Check in with her by returning to the cabin.

If there was a real emergency.. you would be paged onboard. So relax!

My mother always said "He was an angel" every time she babysat. Years later she said that he cried bloody murder but she knew if she told me that I wouldn't want to go out. Mother's, especially Grandmother's are great!

I agree with Essiemom, your cell phone bill could potential be frightening. Keep in mind that there are phones in the public spaces that you could pick up and use to call your room and check in with you mother. Often near the elevators. :)

Grandma will be fine.

Another option would be walkie talkies, but honestly why risk waking a sleeping child.

That's actually our first rule of parenting...never wake the sleeping child! :D

$800!!! Wow!

Okay, I guess we just won't worry about it. I like the plan where we can just tell her approx where we will be, and we can always check in with her. And I do trust my mom more anyone in the world (other than me and DH) to watch my little guy. I will leave my cell turned off!

I think i'll try the walkie talkie bit so we will know were the son & his family are ..at 39 he's still my baby ....& my phone will be there just to take pictures :)

I think i'll try the walkie talkie bit so we will know were the son & his family are ..at 39 he's still my baby ....& my phone will be there just to take pictures :)

I know you didn't say it, but just wanted to ask you to please be courteous with the walkie talkies if you do bring them. Have seen too many times during shows, at dinner, or even by the pool where someone has a walkie talkie on and everyone near by gets to hear the conversation whether they want to or not. There are some brands that do texting, so if the 39 year old baby truly needs to stay in touch, maybe they would be an option!

In all reality, most people usually end up in the same places on board so it really is not difficult to stay in touch. Let people know where you are heading and your will all be fine.

We use walkie talkies but are respectful of other people. We keep the volume turned down and we move away from people if we need to talk on them. We found them handy b/c sometimes we wanted to split up and do different things but needed to easily find each other when done. Also, sometimes one of us would be back in the room while baby was sleeping, but wanted to know where the rest of the family was once she woke up. The person out and about can use a ship phone to call the room but the person in the room can't randomly call around the ship to find everyone so the walkie talkie worked better IMO.

I agree with the Walkie - Talkies. I have never had a problem with them being to loud or disruptive. We always keep it short, but we are both law enforcement, so we teneded to speak in code: (what's your 20?; i'm 10-9 at windows, etc.) We never brought them in the theaters or shows.

Only problem I found is when two or three different families are all on the same channel. So sometimes to hear a little too much about strangers.

• 2 weeks later...

You can get walkies with earpieces to keep down on the noise if you plan to use them a lot.

We just used our cell phones but made sure to use it only for an emergency. My wife had an extra personal cell phone no one uses and then can send texts if need be. If it is an emergency I don't mind paying $2 for a text...

Archived