RCI Priced at a Premium

Interesting price analysis. June is always expensive - kids are just getting out of school. I bet if you looked in September the prices would level out and be fairly similar.

Good research though! I certainly base my cruises on prices/season and will choose the less expensive time to sail.

We've sailed what the reviewers call mass market lines and we've sailed what the reviewers claim are premium lines and I can tell you that is a very over-used expression. You are the only one referring to RCL in this way bu that's so you can tell people they're over-paying.

That is very true. "Premium" is actually a category of cruise line based on services available on board, like enrichment seminars. I believe both Princess and Celebrity are Premium lines. It has nothing to do with being better.

....and I can get my balcony one more day of cruising and be save several hundred dollars pp , I just dont see the where the difference in the ship to be worth it.

You happen to be thinking along the same lines as my wife and I..more time on the balcony...ending up and the same ports..saving hundreds of $$$. We happen to also notice the same pricing trend; which in turn prompted the thread discussion.

Well as someone stated earlier no they are not holding a gun to my head. I for one though am somewhat sad that they are driving me away , I like RCI ships we enjoy evenings just hanging around the Royal Promenade. But we like our balcony rooms and when I can book an 8 day cruise on another line on a ship that is nice and I can get my balcony one more day of cruising and be save several hundred dollars pp , I just dont see the where the difference in the ship to be worth it .

But if others do so be it they will hold those price up. But for us The food shows service are just to much alike.

I don´t see anything wrong with your decision, but you are blinding yourself when you say "they are driving me away". I bet it´s in no interest of RCI to drive you away and they actually do not drive you away. They are not responsible for your decisions and it´s you and only you to make that decision. Again I can see why you came to that decision and it´s certainly reasonable, but you come across very unhappy with your own decision and I think you need to question yourself if it was the right decision. If it was, why keep moaning about it? As you said, more balcony time for less money - you should be happy.:confused:

That is very true. "Premium" is actually a category of cruise line based on services available on board, like enrichment seminars. I believe both Princess and Celebrity are Premium lines. It has nothing to do with being better.

And all too often the term "premium" is applied by a cruiseline to its brand and may have little or no connection to reality. Having sailed on Princess, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean among others, I found little evidence that any of them would be classified as "premium" by an objective observer. Some so-called enrichment seminars have not been especially enlightening or enriching while others have been extremely interesting and enjoyable. While some aspects of our Celebrity cruises might have been considered a bit more upscale than the others, I can't say the same of our cruises on Princess and I'm not sure that "upscale" necessarily translates to "premium".

I am waiting for Princess, Celebrity & Norwegian to release their summer 2012 schedules. Makes it hard to compares prices when there aren't any. I loved the Freedom but really wanted a summer So. Caribbean cruise. Now I just want to compare Eastern to Eastern. I am very disappointed in the 6/12 schedule,itinerary & prices so far. C'mon RCCL not everyone is in Europe right now. I refuse to board a monster ship that has more people than the island they are visiting (yes, that's an exaggeration.....)

Karen

And all too often the term "premium" is applied by a cruiseline to its brand and may have little or no connection to reality. Having sailed on Princess, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean among others, I found little evidence that any of them would be classified as "premium" by an objective observer. Some so-called enrichment seminars have not been especially enlightening or enriching while others have been extremely interesting and enjoyable. While some aspects of our Celebrity cruises might have been considered a bit more upscale than the others, I can't say the same of our cruises on Princess and I'm not sure that "upscale" necessarily translates to "premium".

I agree Bill. When we boarded the Oosterdam I was expecting more. It wasn't a bad cruise at all and we enjoyed it but I guess with the HAL history and such, I expected more. I found the overall quality of food to be slightly better than that of RCI, Carnival or NCL. Service is where I was surprised. RCI was much better IMO. We also did not care for the ship. Did not have a "premium" feel to it at all. Glad that we tried HAL but found out it was not for us. At least at this time.:)

I agree. If not for knowing what Premium means in terms of crusie line classification, I would think it means the luxury lines like Seabourn. That's what I think of when I hear the word Premium.

I've attended the enrichment seminars on Celebrity. Like you said, some were great while others were disappointing. Despite the classification, I would not consider Celebrity Premium to RCI in terms of quality....at least, not for what makes me enjoy a cruise.

For me it is the overall cruise experience that, IMHO, is better on RCCL ships. This (for me) makes an RCCL cruise worth the higher cost (for now).

However I do think that service has declined and will continue to decline in the future. Also RCCL, and some other lines, seem to be abandoning the concept of "classless cruising" (specialty restaurants, private sections of beaches, reserved sections in theaters, etc...). RCCL also has a tendency to punish people who book early. If these trends continue the product may one day not be worth the extra cost and I will look for other vacation options.

I am very disappointed in the 6/12 schedule,itinerary & prices so far. C'mon RCCL not everyone is in Europe right now....

Likewise....disappointed in the 6/12 schedule,itinerary & prices so far.

Also there seems to be little to no incentive for booking early.

I know this was started talking about summer sailings but I found, for the winter, I priced Freedom for the family and felt it sky high on price and then priced Voyager out of NOLA, same amount of days and just not stopping at Labadee and it was thousands less. I can do without the flow rider!!!:D you can find less expensive within the company if you look at different ports and size ship.

As for 'classless cruising' I don't think the loyalty program will stop anytime soon to offer these special and private events and suite guests have always paid the premium for these things. I'm not quite sure if there is a mass market cruise line that offeres no distinction as all offer suite guests extra and all have some sort of loyalty program I think.:confused:

As the old saying goes; you get what you pay for.

:)

Are we to assume that RCI charges more because they are better?:confused:

Just because I pay more doesn't mean I am guaranteed a better cruise. We have found cruises on RCI for less than CCL and NCL.:cool:

I don´t see anything wrong with your decision, but you are blinding yourself when you say "they are driving me away". I bet it´s in no interest of RCI to drive you away and they actually do not drive you away. They are not responsible for your decisions and it´s you and only you to make that decision. Again I can see why you came to that decision and it´s certainly reasonable, but you come across very unhappy with your own decision and I think you need to question yourself if it was the right decision. If it was, why keep moaning about it? As you said, more balcony time for less money - you should be happy.:confused:

I"m happy its just that we really love the sailing the Voyager class ship and I would like to try the Freedom class , but its not worth 3 or $400 pp to me to sail on them . Thus my reasoning they are driving me away , we work to hard for our money for us to waste that . We sailed the Navigator in March a 4 day got a great deal on it. I am not moaning just stating an opinion , i think:p:)

I am waiting for Princess, Celebrity & Norwegian to release their summer 2012 schedules. Makes it hard to compares prices when there aren't any. I loved the Freedom but really wanted a summer So. Caribbean cruise. Now I just want to compare Eastern to Eastern. I am very disappointed in the 6/12 schedule,itinerary & prices so far. C'mon RCCL not everyone is in Europe right now. I refuse to board a monster ship that has more people than the island they are visiting (yes, that's an exaggeration.....)

Karen

:):) I thought I was the only person that wanted nothing to do with those floating amusement parks. I feel the same way they can keep those mega things , Voyager class does me just fine. :)

As for 'classless cruising' I don't think the loyalty program will stop anytime soon to offer these special and private events and suite guests have always paid the premium for these things. I'm not quite sure if there is a mass market cruise line that offeres no distinction as all offer suite guests extra and all have some sort of loyalty program I think.:confused:

I don't have a problem with perks such as discounts, free laundry, free/discounted drinks, private tours, private events, etc offered to suite guests or with loyalty programs. What annoys me is when they cordon off sections of the theaters, pool decks, and private islands. IMHO it won't be long before entire decks will be reserved for certain classes of passenger.

I don't have a problem with perks such as discounts, free laundry, free/discounted drinks, private tours, private events, etc offered to suite guests or with loyalty programs. What annoys me is when they cordon off sections of the theaters, pool decks, and private islands. IMHO it won't be long before entire decks will be reserved for certain classes of passenger.

That already happens on several other lines including NCL, Celebrity, and Princess (and probably others as well). It is not a trend that I am especially happy with, but all of the lines have seemingly decided that there is a segment of their clientele who are looking for that "ship within a ship" exclusivity that allows them to sail and not have to mingle with the hoi polloi. It may be part of the "Me generation" belief that requires that "they" be treated differently and better than everyone else. I'm not sure what can be done about it if it proves to be an effective marketing tool and helps the lines fill their ships.

:):) I thought I was the only person that wanted nothing to do with those floating amusement parks. I feel the same way they can keep those mega things , Voyager class does me just fine. :)

I'm another one with your line of thinking.

Try and tell those trying to reach an uper level of the C&A program that perks are being cut.:eek: Whenever that happens-all hell breaks loose.

So many here are trying to get to he next level. Many of those perks include private area's also being closed to the public that many feel are very important. Diamond events, diamond breakfast, theater sections, etc.

You may be on to something. Keep everything behind closed doors. Drink vouchers for loyalty rewards, in room bar set up for suite guests, open the beach up to all and take the ropes out of the theater, Do away with sectioned pool area and close up all the Diamond & concierge lounges. I'm pretty sure right now I'm being cursed out from behind computer screens multiple times.:eek::p

You probably will never see a 'classless cruising' on any RCCL ships due to the labels they give on the rewards program. Everyone would like to be special and be called 'Elite'!!!;)

Anyone ever think RCCL is priced so high so often to pay for the loyalty program that so many state is the best out there???

Anyone ever think RCCL is priced so high so often to pay for the loyalty program that so many state is the best out there???

That may be true, but as long as there are enough people willing to pay the price, the reasons behind it are pretty much irrelevant. Does anyone think that if the loyalty programs were reduced or eliminated, the line would automatically lower its prices? No. RCI would still be charging whatever the market will bear. That is just how the system works.

That may be true, but as long as there are enough people willing to pay the price, the reasons behind it are pretty much irrelevant. Does anyone think that if the loyalty programs were reduced or eliminated, the line would automatically lower its prices? No. RCI would still be charging whatever the market will bear. That is just how the system works.

It would become relevent if people do start looking else where because they are no longer willing to pay that price.;)

I think prices could go down because no matter what some think, the economy is not good and with more folks taking 'staycations' all vacation options may have to do something to generate business. Who really knows-I work with animals-not finance!!!:o

You may be right. But in my situation, the balcony discounts, paired with other discounts and OBC received from Next Cruise bookings and Visa card points make my RCI cruises less expensive than if I booked a competitor on similar itinerary. Now, I know this means nothing to first timers or even those with only a few cruises, but to me it does mean something.

Another thing that should be considered when looking at booking prices is RCI's onboard expenses tend to be less than competitors, at least from what I have researched. For example, NCL's tips are $12 per person per day. RCI's specialty restaurants tend to be less expensive than competitors. My favorite RCI restaurant is Giovanni's, and it is only $15. Portofino is $20 and Chops is $25. Restaurants on other cruise lines run $30 or more. Also, from what I have read, beer and liquor prices are less expensive on RCI. That all may seem small, but over the course of a week, times how ever many people are in your party, those costs really add up.

RCI's onboard expenses tend to be less than competitors, at least from what I have researched. For example, NCL's tips are $12 per person per day. RCI's specialty restaurants tend to be less expensive than competitors. My favorite RCI restaurant is Giovanni's, and it is only $15. Portofino is $20 and Chops is $25. Restaurants on other cruise lines run $30 or more. Also, from what I have read, beer and liquor prices are less expensive on RCI. That all may seem small, but over the course of a week, times how ever many people are in your party, those costs really add up.

Arent RCL's tips going to $11.75? $11.85?? a day starting in July. I know I have two Oasis cruises coming up and prepared that tips will be higher by the time I go this fall.

Arent RCL's tips going to $11.75? $11.85?? a day starting in July. I know I have two Oasis cruises coming up and prepared that tips will be higher by the time I go this fall.

That may be true, but for now, they are only $9.75.

IMO, its highly doubtful that we will see any fuel surcharges from any of the cruise lines. They will included it in theirs prices so cruises don't realize it. Could also explain why the prices they have released are so high.

I agree.No cruise line wants to be the first to impose the dreaded fuel surcharge.

That already happens on several other lines including NCL, Celebrity, and Princess (and probably others as well). It is not a trend that I am especially happy with, but all of the lines have seemingly decided that there is a segment of their clientele who are looking for that "ship within a ship" exclusivity that allows them to sail and not have to mingle with the hoi polloi. It may be part of the "Me generation" belief that requires that "they" be treated differently and better than everyone else. I'm not sure what can be done about it if it proves to be an effective marketing tool and helps the lines fill their ships.

Unfortunately I don't think there is anything that can be done. I recently read an article that stated the "ship within a ship" concept is exactly where many of the mainstream cruise lines are heading. The cruise lines will do whatever it takes to improve their bottom line. I'm not saying I blame them for that. I just don't like the direction they are heading in. If the megaship, "ship within a ship" trend continues I will just try and find another line or stop cruising altogether.

Archived