Florence Train Station Baggage Check - 40 pound limit?

NCMtnBoys

My Rick Steves' guidebook states that there is a baggage check service at the Florence Train Station for 4 Euro for 5 hours. It also states the weight limit is 40 pounds per bag. Anyone used this service, or know whether that limit is strictly enforced?

We plan to take a train from Rome to Verona (and eventually on to Venice several days later to catch our cruise after visiting my brother near Lake Garda), and I thought since we are going through Florence it would be great to get off the train and explore for 3-4 hours to see some sites like the Ponte Vecchio and the Duomo. Our large roller bag may weigh up to 50 pounds. We definitely need to be able to leave it somewhere for a few hours while we walk around to see things. We're not big art or museum people so 3-4 hours to walk around and see a few sites is fine - just need somewhere to leave the bags!

Thanks in advance!

I have not heard about a weight limit and it isn't mentioned on the station's web site (here: http://www.grandistazioni.it/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=86470fc45fa4b110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD), but it's certainly possible.

I know that I've checked 50 lb. range bags at Termini without issue, but that was several years ago and it will be good to hear recent experiences, especially specific to Santa Maria Novella.

We checked our baggage at the train station and there was no mention of weight or weighing of our bags. It is 6 euro per bag, no matter the size for the first 4 hours I think. Trust me, if you are climbing the duomo you don't want to have any bags on you. It is a very narrow staircase, not to mention having the lkug the extra weight around.

Make sure you buy a train ticket to Florence and then another on to your other cities.

You cannot just buy a ticket to Venice and get off at various stops along the way because most trains besides the locals(regional trains) have assigned seats.

Archived