Is this a good Itinarary for 1 day in Victoria??

Hi everyone, I'll be arriving in Victoria on a cruise on a Thursday, docking at 11am. Staying till 8pm.

Would this be a good itinarary? I've been to Victoria myself but only saw the outside of the parliament building and spent time in the wax museum..

- Wild Play (ropes course and all that), if they allow 2 ppl on a Thursday, since I saw that only group of 5+ allowed on Wed/Thurs

- Hatley Castle/Hatley Park, if they have tours in May?

- Walk along Fort Street and see the Craigdarroch Castle from the outside (probably won't go in for the tour as I heard it's not worth the time and money...)

- Walk along Dallas Rd and check out Beacon Hill Park... then to Government Rd and tour the Parliament Building.

How long does it take to walk from the cruise dock --> Fort St --> Dallas Rd --> Government Rd and end up at the Parliament?

I wanna time it so that I can get the tour at the Parliament..so I either have to do it at first or at the end?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Re: Hatley Park part of your plan -

How do you plan to get to Hatley Park? It's quite a ways out of the downtown area. Personally, I would skip this part of it. Hatley Castle is in Hatley Park, as you asked in another thread. It's a historic site, somewhat interesting, with beautiful grounds, but it's not somewhere I would go if only in Victoria for a half-day. I used to live there and there was a library campus on the grounds at one time; also had a friend whose husband was an officer and he took us around one time. Personally - not that interesting, really (IMO, obviously).

Hi everyone, I'll be arriving in Victoria on a cruise on a Thursday, docking at 11am. Staying till 8pm.

Would this be a good itinarary? I've been to Victoria myself but only saw the outside of the parliament building and spent time in the wax museum..

- Wild Play (ropes course and all that), if they allow 2 ppl on a Thursday, since I saw that only group of 5+ allowed on Wed/Thurs

- Hatley Castle/Hatley Park, if they have tours in May?

- Walk along Fort Street and see the Craigdarroch Castle from the outside (probably won't go in for the tour as I heard it's not worth the time and money...)

- Walk along Dallas Rd and check out Beacon Hill Park... then to Government Rd and tour the Parliament Building.

How long does it take to walk from the cruise dock --> Fort St --> Dallas Rd --> Government Rd and end up at the Parliament?

I wanna time it so that I can get the tour at the Parliament..so I either have to do it at first or at the end?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Hatley Castle/Wild Play are both some distance from downtown, are you aware of that?

I wouldn't bother walking, given you can exit the cruise terminal, grab a #30 or #31 bus into town, transfer onto a #14 to get to Craigdarroch.

However, Craigdarroch is just a big tourist trap, and Government House is much more interesting/sedate, and has nicer (free) gardens. On Rockland Ave (#1 bus IIRC)

the local bus system is cheap & fast and clean: http://bctransit.com/regions/vic/?p=2.list

Agree with other posters, don't bother with Hatley Castle/Park; Craigdarroch; or wild play. The walk you suggested along Dallas Road to Beacon Hill Park would be very nice. Scottbee suggestion of the gardens at Government House also a good one. However, just so you're not confused, Government House is a different place than the Legislative Buildings in the Inner Harbour. As you're there all day, you could easily tour the gardens at Government House and visit the Legislative Buildings.

Thanks for the suggestions. Great idea on the Government House. I didn't realize Hatley and Wildplay is far away.

Just wondering, I have left over bus tickets I got from when I was in Vancouver. Faresavers, they're called. Wondering if I can use these in Victoria as well since it is BC Transit as well...

Thanks!

You could ask about the Faresavers but my guess would be no as Translink which issued them in Vancouver is a completely separate company.

If the weather is inclement you may care to consider the Royal British Columbia Museum which is a superb museum and is about a "9 iron" from the Legislature Buildings.

http://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/MainSite/default.aspx

Archived