Healthy Eating on Celebrity Cruise

mom0f3

I'm leaving in two weeks for a 7 day cruise on the Summit to Bermuda. Have just re-started Weight Watchers, I don't want to undo my commitment to healthy eating for a week and come back 5 pounds heavier! Any suggestions for how to eat healthfully? Are menu items low in fat and/or calories marked? Is there nutrition information (such as calorie content) available anywhere? Thanks!

The Aqua Spa Cafe is a great place to enjoy healthy but tasty breakfasts and lunches (they are not open for dinner). All food is free in this venue.

Celebrity ships have very nice gyms, so there is opportunity to exercise during your cruise. My wife and I also have a rule that we only take stairs on the ship (we are allowed one "cheat" per cruise where we use the elevator). Opting for sorbet over the ice cream is another good way to keep the calories down.

We have managed to enjoy a little pigging out here and there on our cruises, but typically only gain 1-2 pounds per cruise due to exercising and not overdoing it in the food area, but still indulging some.

Yes the Aqua Spa cuisine is very attractive and tastes equally good. On the dinner menu they always offer things that are heart healthy and these dishes are lower in fat, which as you know is the key to Weight Watchers. Just stay away from butter, bread, sweet rolls, ice cream. The Aqua spa had some really good rice pudding on my last cruise though.

I worked for WW for over 22 years; I have taken 14 cruises and I have never gained more than 2 pounds; that was when we were in Europe...Breakfast is easy; on the buffet you can always get egg white veggie omelets made to order; ask for no oil just spray; salads and fruit abound on cruises...figure which meal of the day is the most important to indulge; for me it isn't so much the meal but I do want a cocktail or 2...I do remember Celebrity also offers spa menu items on the menus with caloric and fat breakdown...don't worry; just have a great vacation...and remember, anything we gain is totally losable and use the gym....have a great trip...we're on the Summit July 31.

If you board and you are in that "WW mentality"...you will do fine. On one cruise I actually lost 3 1/2 pounds!! I walked, swam and exercised in the gym. There are always great choices on the menu...fish, vegetables and salads and fresh fruit abound.

You can certainly have a marvelous cruise experience without the extra pounds showing up. Hope you enjoy yourself! We'll be on the Summit on August 28th, and I can't wait.

DH is a very healthy eater. He can eat huge volumes - but it's always the healthy, low fat choices.

His desserts last cruise were usually the fruit based appetizer (and sometimes we'd share a healthier dessert option). The Maitre' d in select dining caught on that everyone at our table were veggie lovers. He made sure whatever waiter we had brought us a big plate of steamed or grilled veggies to share. That one act alone endeared four first time Celebrity cruisers to Celebrity.

Walk the buffet and make a plan rather than just piling on food at the various stations. Just takes a little thoughtful selection. You might want to do a search on the board for the menus - a plan for MDR can be developed beforehand.

Easy to do! I agree that fresh fruit & veggies are always available. At dinner, I requested no potatoes or sauces (sometimes I did get sauce on the side). Balsamic vinegar for salad dressing each night. I also requested the vegetables from the left side of the menu each night. I had carrots, green beans and broccoli each night with my dinners. For dessert, I requested a bowl of fresh berries. There's lo fat granola, yogurt, egg white omelet etc for breakfast. And I was able to get a huge salad for lunch each day. We took a tour in the morning, and each day made sure that we walked around the town for a few hours in the afternoon. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Drink beer. The monks referred to it as liquid bread. Grain, yeast and water. No fat calories. And before you go you can look up the amount in a Heineken, Bud, which is about 150 cal and if you want you can drink 3 light beers instead of 2 regular as they usually have only 100 calories.

On a serious note we ate in Blu and the Aqua Cafe for lunch. We tried to eat healthy but still enjoy the cruise. Only took a few bites of the deserts and limited the alcohol. Didn't pig out on anything. Still gained 5 lbs. But it could have been worse. Didn't eat any deep fried foods, and usually had the fish entrees. Can't imagine what the food vacuums gained. I think our problem was that we didn't eat enough and our bodies went into the starvation mode.

We always used the stairs and walked to and from the towns instead of taking the cabs.

Got home and started back on the P90X program.

Several years ago I took my 1st cruise (on Carnival...not that it matters) and, like you, had just committed to losing wt. Every meal I ordered the 'healthy choice' and every meal it was delicious and all the other folks at my table were saying 'Can I have what she's having?'. I've continued to do this on other cruises, I get up and walk the 'track' and try to get to the gym every other day or so and drink light beer in the afternoon instead of the sweet and creamy 'fancy drinks'. It has worked for me.

Enjoy yourself. Jodie

I'm leaving in two weeks for a 7 day cruise on the Summit to Bermuda. Have just re-started Weight Watchers, I don't want to undo my commitment to healthy eating for a week and come back 5 pounds heavier! Any suggestions for how to eat healthfully? Are menu items low in fat and/or calories marked? Is there nutrition information (such as calorie content) available anywhere? Thanks!

It's all about choices and you're in charge!

We went on our cruise last month and the first night in the MDR we told our waiter we were going to eat "our way" on this cruise, and not the way the ship encouraged us to eat.

We ate much smaller dinners than ever before. Most nights I stayed to small bites and had apps only. One night hubby had 3 soups and that was supper!

We felt great. Not stuffed. And didn't feel like we gained any weight at all.

The beauty of a cruise vacation is that you can truly make it your own.

Judy

If you board and you are in that "WW mentality"...you will do fine. On one cruise I actually lost 3 1/2 pounds!! I walked, swam and exercised in the gym. There are always great choices on the menu...fish, vegetables and salads and fresh fruit abound.

You can certainly have a marvelous cruise experience without the extra pounds showing up. Hope you enjoy yourself! We'll be on the Summit on August 28th, and I can't wait.

I usually don't gain weight on cruises. I like salads and eat salads instead of hamburgers for lunch. Also, sugar is the culprit, I try to avoid desserts, except for once in a while. The gym helps.

I am not a connaisseur, but I enjoyed the curries served at the buffet at lunch on Solstice almost on a daily basis.

I was actually dissapointed on our last cruise, on RCCL, that curries were only offered on the MDR menu. I ordered it once or twice (can't remember) and it was very good.

I am not a connaisseur, but I enjoyed the curries served at the buffet at lunch on Solstice almost on a daily basis.

I was actually dissapointed on our last cruise, on RCCL, that curries were only offered on the MDR menu. I ordered it once or twice (can't remember) and it was very good.

Thanks! We will look forward to trying them.

Drink beer. The monks referred to it as liquid bread. Grain, yeast and water. No fat calories. And before you go you can look up the amount in a Heineken, Bud, which is about 150 cal and if you want you can drink 3 light beers instead of 2 regular as they usually have only 100 calories.

On a serious note we ate in Blu and the Aqua Cafe for lunch. We tried to eat healthy but still enjoy the cruise. Only took a few bites of the deserts and limited the alcohol. Didn't pig out on anything. Still gained 5 lbs. But it could have been worse. Didn't eat any deep fried foods, and usually had the fish entrees. Can't imagine what the food vacuums gained. I think our problem was that we didn't eat enough and our bodies went into the starvation mode.

We always used the stairs and walked to and from the towns instead of taking the cabs.

Got home and started back on the P90X program.

Does the Summitt have AQ?

Take the steps not the elevator. You will earn activity points by doing that. Hit the gym .Choose fish with little sauce and if you are not a fish eater now is the time to broaden your horizons.Ask for fruit for dessert most nights but if you must order a rich dessert have just a few bites. Remember how long it takes to lose 5 lbs. Do you really want to put it back in a week?

Archived