Fairbanks - what to do

wbmom401

Our final day of our 2 weeks trip is in Fairbanks. We obviously have to check out of the Princess lodge in the morning, but our flight is not until 9pm that night. I had looked into Chena springs but it is not available. Does anyone have any suggestions for the day?

Our cruisetour already includes the Sternriver Cruise and Lunch, we are doing a Gold Mine tour....and going to the North Pole at night. This is the day before our final day.

Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

North Pole at night??? So, I can assume you are going to have a car??

Pioneer Park is excellent, and certainly the Fairbanks U Museum. There is also a botanical garden, raindeer farm, Large Animal Research tour- for Musk Ox.

Plenty else as well, http://www.explorefairbanks.com

No car yet, but TA suggested that we might want to consider that. The North Pole visit is a tour we are doing.

North Pole

Besides the name, that is an obvious draw, there is Santa Claus House and a good Chinese restaurant called Pagoda. Santa Claus House closes at 8pm. I'd only drive out there for the Chinese food. If you're on a tour there has to be something else that I'm not aware of.

There are many more interesting things to do in Fairbanks. Also, you do not need a room at Chena Hot Springs to enjoy it. They have a very nice Ice Museum as well as the thermal springs with locker rooms for changing and showers.

We have the same issue. Our flight out of Fairbanks is at 9:00pm. You can still go to Chena Springs if you want to. We are thinking abouth that as well. Based on info that I have received....plan an hour of travel each way. At Chena Springs, there's a lot to do.......ice museum, hot springs, tours, etc. Go on their website and check it out. You will need a car or a tour group. You don't have to book with the cruiseline, there are several tour companies that make the run to Chena Springs and back.

No car yet, but TA suggested that we might want to consider that. The North Pole visit is a tour we are doing.

I recommend you just get a car, and forget a "tour" to visit the "North Pole" which is an easy drive to a gift shop.

There is plenty to see and do.

I don't find Chena Hot Springs that great, the prior owners were much better in my opinion. The pools can be kind of funky with the water, and always take a crappy suit, you don't care about. For me, this a winter destination, I spend my time elsewhere in the summer.

We agree that the university museum was a great experience. It gives a lot of information in a well displayed manner. It is not so large as to be over whelming and it is easy to see it all.

Archived