HELP! RC Explorer vs Celebrity Century

bflgroupie

This is not intended to be a dispute but I am fishing for some help in my decision...after booking my Explorer cruise for Nov 7-14 (leaving from MI going to Belize,Costa Maya, Cozumel, Georgetown back to MI)thru RC myself I have since contacted a travel agent for what she could come with.

Here's the facts: First time cruising couple with 10 year old hyperactive child (diagnosed). We like excursions and plan to do a couple moderately priced ones with junior. And, take advantage of the on-board children's program. We were in Rivera Maya, MX and loved it last year.

Agent found a cruise (Celebrity Century; from FLL to Jamacia,Georgetown,Cozumel and Key West back to FLL) Oct. 9-16. Prices are approximately the same..give or take $50. She found reasonable airfare to FLL at $176/pp RT. She is still looking into flights for the Nov cruise out of MI.

Here what I came up with looking at reviews here and general ship information: Explorer is big and glitzy with lots of activities, variety and food that is good but not great. A note on food, my husband and I enjoy very good food in smaller quantities..but, we are happy to dig into a great burger (it doesn't have to be gourmet fu-fu food...just good quality, flavorful food). Explorer appears to have more children's activities then Century. As I am into fitness the exercise facilities are important...Explorer seems to have alot there too.

Ports of call are good both but since we were in MX last year..Explorer seems more MX oriented versus Century's itinerary hits Jamica, MX, Grand Cayman and Key West (always wanted to go to Key West..for some reason); a schedule I like a bit more. On a personal note, both husband and I have a paid holiday off during the Explorer cruise.

Both cruises would be inside staterooms. Century is category 10 (what the heck does that mean anyway?)....Explorer we would be on level 10 (is that the same thing?).

Based on the compiled experiences of the critics here which cruise would you advise us to take (assuming prices are comparable after all the airfares are tacked on)?

Thanks in advance!
Marcia

Explorer hands down but RCI ships are just my preference. All the pluses you noted about Explorer are definitely good pluses in my book.
Side note : My experience in Jamaica (and several of my friends and family) has not been good. I felt like I was about to be robbed at any moment. Unless on an excursion or at a resort, the island itself is dirty and seemed crime ridden. I will never go back to Jamaica and avoid cruises that list it as a stop. I know many people have had different experiences and probably thought it was great. I'm just adding my 2 cents [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Hi[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I haven't been on Explorer..though I have friends who have sailed her.
I have been on Century twice in the last 12 months (she is my favorite ship).
Celebrity is my cruiseline of choice...I am 46 with no kids. I enjoy the more sedate atmosphere. There are things to do...or not..I am not one to work out. Sitting at the bar by the pool, reading a good book, along with an adult beverage is fun to me.

Now, my friend who has sailed both is also in his 40s...he went with friends on Explorer and had a fantastic week. Plenty to do during the day as well as in the evenings. I think the nightlife on Royal stays up later than Celebrity.
The other part of your scenerio are the ships themselves. Century is MUCH smaller...tonnage wise..etc. The only Royal ship I have been on is Soveriegn of the Seas...not a great experience for me.
I am considering Explorer just to try something larger...possibly next year.

Have a wonderful time, whatever you decide[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img].

Oh about the categories...normally cat 12 is the least expensive cabin...it goes up from there. 10 would also be a reasonable price (in my opinion).

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:
[url="http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising"]http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising[/url]

Archived