Important Update for Dubrovnik City Wall

Ok, thanks for the reply, i do understand. What sort of temps are we looking at??

I am cruising on the cunard queen victoria. Is it possible to get to the walls from the docking area ?? I am thinking that it might be more sensible to do the trip ourselves if possible.

Thank you in advance for more information.

Average August temperatures can run from 35C to 39C and the humidity will be 100%. It's very hot, very crowded and it's best to walk the wall as early as possible. You may want to consider doing only half, the least difficult is the sea side. The steps to reach the top is a pain, especially on my older legs. It's over quickly and you can begin to see the roof tops and hopefully experience some lovely sea breezes. Make sure you have a good sun hat, water and the best walking shoes you own.

Your ship will be at dock in our Gruz harbor, requiring a shuttle trip to the old town. check with your cruise line to see how much they charge or take a taxi for 75 Kuna or 10 Euros. Taxi will get you to town in 5 minutes, depending on the traffic. Please do not consider walking from the port, it's mostly uphill and nothing to see along the way.

Dubrovniklady, Can I ask for your advice again please?

We are arriving at 1pm on Sunday, August 14. On the Norwegian Jade.

Are the walls open on Sundays? Also, I was thinking of doing the open air bus tour, and then coming back mid afternoon to walk the walls (thinking it might be a little cooler and less people?).

What are the hours for the walls on Sundays? Also, would you recommend doing the cable car over the open air bus tour?

Thank you!

The city wall is open 364 days of the year, Christmas day there are closed. During high season the hours are 0800 until 1930, entrance fee is 70 Croatian Kuna. No credit cards, no Euros, Dollars or Pounds.

You probably have enough time to do the Cabrio bus tour and the cable car both. Also depends on how much time you spend on the wall. Walking half will take an hour if you stop for the many photo opportunities. I so enjoy the Cabrio bus tour and always make sure that I take this 2 hour trip every year. It's a lovely way to see most of the town and is a bargain at 90 Kuna.

Plan your day in advance, be sure which cultural sites you do not want to miss and enjoy your time here.

Dubrovnik Lady,

We are on the Seabourn Odyssey, arriving on June 22. Will we be within walking distance of the center? It was suggested that we spend the morning with a guide in Cavtat and return to tour the city in the afternoon, with a walk of the walls at the end of the day. Does that make sense? Thanks in advance.

Dubrovnik Lady,

We are on the Seabourn Odyssey, arriving on June 22. Will we be within walking distance of the center? It was suggested that we spend the morning with a guide in Cavtat and return to tour the city in the afternoon, with a walk of the walls at the end of the day. Does that make sense? Thanks in advance.

Seabourn will be at anchor in the old port and you will tender in just steps away from the center of the old town, arriving at 0800. Personally I would walk the wall as early as possible before the heat of the sun has had time to cook the stones. Walls are open from 0800 until 1930, daily. Entrance fee is 70 Croatian Kuna, no credit cards, euros, dollars or pounds.

If this is your first trip to Dubrovnik, do not miss visiting our many lovely historical and cultural sites. You can easily spend the entire day in Dubrovnik, as some sites are well hidden gems which are not on the main promenade. Cavtat is a lovely town, but I would save it for your next visit. Dubrovnik is truly a magical town, enjoy your time here. So much to see, so little time.

As of 15 April 2011, the city wall will only accept Croatian Kuna for the admission fee. No credit cards, Euros, Dollars or Pounds. Admission fee is 70 Kuna per adult, 30 Kuna per child. Hours are from 0800 until 1800 at this time of year. Closing hours will be extended after 01 June 2011.

We were at Dubrovnik on 3 June, on P&O's Ventura, and we had a wonderful time. The ticket office for the walls was indeed only accepting Kuna, and we did see that quite a few people were surprised. We'd brought 500 Kuna with us and didn't have a problem. They were taking credit cards, however - they had a different queue for card payments. They may have been using an old-style machine, however, but I'm not sure - as I say, we had Kuna so were in and out in a couple of minutes with our tickets.

We'd got to the town fairly early and did the first part of the walk in comparative coolness and calm! Then we went into the Maritime museum (40 Kuna, IIRC) and spent about 45 minutes in there, and when we came out again it was getting hotter. By the time we finished it really was pretty warm up there, and also along the main street through the town. But it was cooler down by the harbour, and we bought some ice cream and enjoyed that down by the water. Then we walked back up into the town, but this time round the back streets where we found a pavement restaurant where we had an enjoyable lunch. The restaurant gave us the bill in Kuna but was happy to take payment in Euros - we wanted to save our Kuna for other things.

Later in the cruise we called at Korcula, also in Croatia, which was another extraordinary place (though a lot smaller than Dubrovnik). I'd definitely like to return to the Croatian coast.

The city wall is open 364 days of the year, Christmas day there are closed. During high season the hours are 0800 until 1930, entrance fee is 70 Croatian Kuna. No credit cards, no Euros, Dollars or Pounds.

You probably have enough time to do the Cabrio bus tour and the cable car both. Also depends on how much time you spend on the wall. Walking half will take an hour if you stop for the many photo opportunities. I so enjoy the Cabrio bus tour and always make sure that I take this 2 hour trip every year. It's a lovely way to see most of the town and is a bargain at 90 Kuna.

Plan your day in advance, be sure which cultural sites you do not want to miss and enjoy your time here.

You are so helpful! Thank you!

I would love to be able to do the cable car and the Cabrio bus. Our ship is at port from 13.00 to 21.00, and the Cabrio bus tour schedule that I have saved, shows that it picks up at Pile at 14.30. Giving us 1.5 hours before the bus picks up, given we get off the boat at 1 exactly.

Would we have time to to do the Cable car before the 14.30 pickup? Will there be a line for the Cabrio bus tour, that would require us being there a few minutes before it arrives? If you think we would have time, what would you recommend as the best way to get the the cable car from the ship, and back to the Pile exit from the cable car?

I would love to have dinner around the walls, or even possibly that hidden place along the walls? Do you happen to know where it is?

Thank you for your help and ALL of the expertise you have shared with us!

I just read some info, and wanted to double check the accuracy with you?

Is there a walk that takes you directly from Srg Hill to the Pile entrance? Apparently takes about 30 minutes? (Called the Serpentine?)

The serpentine begins from the highway above Dubrovnik. Just getting to that point will take you time and the walk up the hill takes a bit more time than 30 minutes. Walking up the Srd mountain should not be attempted during one very short cruise day in port. Would love to know where you found such huge misinformation.

From Pile gate you first go up 256 steps to an area called Kapalica, then you walk another couple of miles to another area of town and you're not even close yet!

You are so helpful! Thank you!

I would love to be able to do the cable car and the Cabrio bus. Our ship is at port from 13.00 to 21.00, and the Cabrio bus tour schedule that I have saved, shows that it picks up at Pile at 14.30. Giving us 1.5 hours before the bus picks up, given we get off the boat at 1 exactly.

Would we have time to to do the Cable car before the 14.30 pickup? Will there be a line for the Cabrio bus tour, that would require us being there a few minutes before it arrives? If you think we would have time, what would you recommend as the best way to get the the cable car from the ship, and back to the Pile exit from the cable car?

I would love to have dinner around the walls, or even possibly that hidden place along the walls? Do you happen to know where it is?

Thank you for your help and ALL of the expertise you have shared with us!

If your ship arrival is scheduled for 1300, you will not be off until about 1345 or so. Our port authority must first clear the ship and then passengers can disembark. My suggestion is to take a taxi directly to the cable car entrance, cost will be about 75 or 80 Kuna. Cable car is located above the Ploce entrance, our eastern entrance into the old town. Once you've done the cable car, you will need to walk back down to the Ploce entrance and down the Stradun to the Pile gate entrance. Cabrio bus is normally at Pile for about 10 minutes prior to departure. Make sure you have 90 Kuna or 15 Euros for the fare.

The place you describe as the hidden place on the walls is not a restaurant. It is only a bar serving beer, wine or soft drinks.

Please download the town map, which I have posted many times on this thread and others. The map will help you get your bearings for the old town and surrounding area.

The serpentine begins from the highway above Dubrovnik. Just getting to that point will take you time and the walk up the hill takes a bit more time than 30 minutes. Walking up the Srd mountain should not be attempted during one very short cruise day in port. Would love to know where you found such huge misinformation.

From Pile gate you first go up 256 steps to an area called Kapalica, then you walk another couple of miles to another area of town and you're not even close yet!

It was saying that you could take the trail down from the Srd Hill. Here is the link where the person insinuated it was "doable":

1. Bottom on very first post: Very specific

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g295371-d1886448-r90249352-Dubrovnik_Cable_Car-Dubrovnik.html

2. In very first post... not as specific, but pretty sure they are talking about the same trail.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g295371-d1886448-r82496285-Dubrovnik_Cable_Car-Dubrovnik.html

So disappointed that this isn't as easy as they made it sound.

Also, I'm sorry to ask so many questions... but do you happen to know if we will be tendering or docking?

Norwegian Jade, August 14th.

Thank you again.

The posts are true, but Pile neighborhood does not mean Pile gate. You can walk down, you will first reach the highway which runs above the entire town, not just the old town. Cross the highway and you need to find the road to take you down to the 256 steps which will then take you into the old town area again. The part from the highway to finding the steps down is the most difficult unless you know where you're going. It's all residential below the highway and you will waste time looking for the way down. There's the easy way and the others which are not!

When Chris from Absolute Dubrovnik returns next winter, I must remind him that he does know where he's going when he does the serpentine. He is not here during our high season, therefore has no concept of the amount of tourists, traffic and how crazy it is in summer. It does sound easy and once you know the streets to use, it can be - but not in the heat of summer!

I've walked the goat path from the highway down to the Pile neighborhood, almost divorced by the time we finished it. Take the cable car both directions, spend the time savoring a glass of our local wines or some of the excellent gelato.

August is hot, hot and hot with 100% humidity.

The Jade will tender, just next to the island on my photo below. A few steps into the old town from the pier. Enjoy your time here.

The posts are true, but Pile neighborhood does not mean Pile gate. You can walk down, you will first reach the highway which runs above the entire town, not just the old town. Cross the highway and you need to find the road to take you down to the 256 steps which will then take you into the old town area again. The part from the highway to finding the steps down is the most difficult unless you know where you're going. It's all residential below the highway and you will waste time looking for the way down. There's the easy way and the others which are not!

When Chris from Absolute Dubrovnik returns next winter, I must remind him that he does know where he's going when he does the serpentine. He is not here during our high season, therefore has no concept of the amount of tourists, traffic and how crazy it is in summer. It does sound easy and once you know the streets to use, it can be - but not in the heat of summer!

I've walked the goat path from the highway down to the Pile neighborhood, almost divorced by the time we finished it. Take the cable car both directions, spend the time savoring a glass of our local wines or some of the excellent gelato.

August is hot, hot and hot with 100% humidity.

The Jade will tender, just next to the island on my photo below. A few steps into the old town from the pier. Enjoy your time here.

Thank you so much for clearing this up! I don't even want to imagine the kind of situation we might have found ourselves in! *shudder*

Having time to do the cable car and then get to the Pile entrance to meet the cabrio bus is all going to depend on when we can get off the boat... but I am hoping for the best. Thank you again, for all of the time you spend on this site helping us!

Thank you so much for clearing this up! I don't even want to imagine the kind of situation we might have found ourselves in! *shudder*

Having time to do the cable car and then get to the Pile entrance to meet the cabrio bus is all going to depend on when we can get off the boat... but I am hoping for the best. Thank you again, for all of the time you spend on this site helping us!

Interesting time in the old town yesterday. I had friends arriving on the Jade which was to be at anchor in the old town harbor. Due to high winds and rough seas, they were moved to the Gruz harbor and delayed while waiting for Costa to depart.

Winds can be strong in our summer months, so be prepared for changes. Summer months often bring very strong winds from Africa and ships are repositioned often.

As of 15 April 2011, the city wall will only accept Croatian Kuna for the admission fee. No credit cards, Euros, Dollars or Pounds. Admission fee is 70 Kuna per adult, 30 Kuna per child. Hours are from 0800 until 1800 at this time of year. Closing hours will be extended after 01 June 2011.

As I have often posted, things change here often and quickly with no advance notice or advertising. Yesterday morning I stopped at the city wall main ticket office for updated data. Fee is still 70 Croatian Kuna and they are now accepting credit cards for payment. Cash is Croatian Kuna only, no cash Euros, Dollars or Pounds. Credit cards are Visa, Mastercard and Diners, NO American Express. Be prepared!

Dubrovniktravelady,

First, let me thank you for your wonderful information. It makes it very easy to do research when an experienced individual like yourself provides such good detail about this destination.

We are on Celebrity Solstice that is arriving on November 22, 2011. I believe we are the only ship in port on this day. I see that you mentioned that many restaurants and shops will be closed after October 31. Our boat arrives at 7 am and departs at 5 pm. I have a few questions:

1) Of the remaining open restaurants in November, who specifically would you recommend for good seafood for a late lunch? (You can name more than one if you feel uncomfortable singling out one restaurant)

2) Is the cable car open and/or recommended for mid-late November. I noticed that you mentioned the possibility of high winds during this time of the year.

3) You mentioned that the walls would only be open from 10am-3pm during this time of the year. Is this true for all the other historic sites/ cathedrals/ museums?

4) If the walls and cable cars are now accepting credit cards, do taxis and restaurants accept USD or Euros?

Thank you for you help and information.

Dubrovniktravelady,

First, let me thank you for your wonderful information. It makes it very easy to do research when an experienced individual like yourself provides such good detail about this destination.

We are on Celebrity Solstice that is arriving on November 22, 2011. I believe we are the only ship in port on this day. I see that you mentioned that many restaurants and shops will be closed after October 31. Our boat arrives at 7 am and departs at 5 pm. I have a few questions:

1) Of the remaining open restaurants in November, who specifically would you recommend for good seafood for a late lunch? (You can name more than one if you feel uncomfortable singling out one restaurant)

2) Is the cable car open and/or recommended for mid-late November. I noticed that you mentioned the possibility of high winds during this time of the year.

3) You mentioned that the walls would only be open from 10am-3pm during this time of the year. Is this true for all the other historic sites/ cathedrals/ museums?

4) If the walls and cable cars are now accepting credit cards, do taxis and restaurants accept USD or Euros?

Thank you for you help and information.

Sorry to inform you on 22 November the MSC Musica will also be in port, a total of 5,000 plus cruise guests in town.

1. Again sorry, as a local resident I cannot recommend any restaurants, as per rules of cruise critic.

2. Cable car can be shut down at any time of the year, including summer when we also have high winds. November hours are from 0900 until 1700 and always weather depending.

3. During November the vast majority of our sights, cultural, historical and religious are open from either 0900 or 1000 until 1500.

4. You will not be able to spend USD here easily. Some vendors will take Euros but the exchange rate will not good for you. Croatian Kuna is our legal currency, everyone must accept Kuna.

Thus far only the city wall and cable car are accepting credit cards for entrance fees. It is best for guests to obtain local currency from any of our ATM machines in town. You will get the best exchange rate, but do remember you must have a 4 digit pin, no letters or words. By using a debit card the rate will be assessed by your bank, I still have a US bank account and use the ATM machines often.

Curious if you know many cruise ships will be in port that day? We are on the Star Princess, planning to be in port from 9-6. Any sites closed on Sunday in Dubrovnik?

Thanks

There will be no historical or cultural sights closed on Sunday, but it's going to be a very busy day. The total count showing for cruise passengers will be 12,240 plus our European land guests will make it a busy day in the old town.

Average August temperatures can run from 35C to 39C and the humidity will be 100%. It's very hot, very crowded and it's best to walk the wall as early as possible. You may want to consider doing only half, the least difficult is the sea side. The steps to reach the top is a pain, especially on my older legs. It's over quickly and you can begin to see the roof tops and hopefully experience some lovely sea breezes. Make sure you have a good sun hat, water and the best walking shoes you own.

Your ship will be at dock in our Gruz harbor, requiring a shuttle trip to the old town. check with your cruise line to see how much they charge or take a taxi for 75 Kuna or 10 Euros. Taxi will get you to town in 5 minutes, depending on the traffic. Please do not consider walking from the port, it's mostly uphill and nothing to see along the way.

Thank you so much for all the information you've given us about your City. We will be in Dubrovnik Aug 28 on the Noordam..I believe we berth at dock 10 or 11 which means a shuttle or taxi and thanks to your posts, I have a definite idea of what to see and when while we are in town. I think it will be a busy port day! Are there shops, etc where we can buy bottled water? price?

First time cruiser here! I'm confused. We'll be in Dubrovnik on Aug 20, on the Carnival Magic. The port schedule shows us there from 7am to 7pm, but the Carnival website shows us there from noon until 8pm.

I'm also concerned about the number of ships it shows in port that day. Are there any recommendations on what we can do during that time. We're a group of 3 with 1 who has mobility issues.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Archived