Important Update for Dubrovnik City Wall

As of 15 April 2011, the city wall will only accept Croatian Kuna for the admission fee. No credit cards, Euros, Dollars or Pounds. Admission fee is 70 Kuna per adult, 30 Kuna per child. Hours are from 0800 until 1800 at this time of year. Closing hours will be extended after 01 June 2011.

Thank you for the information!

We are going to be in Dubrovnik this September, on a Sunday. Can you tell me where we might be able to go for a Mass? I think the ship gets in early enough to be able to do a 10 or 11 am Mass. Where would be the closest/best church to go to?

Thanks so much

~A

As of 15 April 2011, the city wall will only accept Croatian Kuna for the admission fee. No credit cards, Euros, Dollars or Pounds. Admission fee is 70 Kuna per adult, 30 Kuna per child. Hours are from 0800 until 1800 at this time of year. Closing hours will be extended after 01 June 2011.

There is an ATM right outside the walls. When you come in on the tender, you turn right and find the first exit outside the walls. There is an ATM on the right. It is no more than a couple minutes walk. You can get Kuna for the wall entrance fee.

Thank you for the information!

We are going to be in Dubrovnik this September, on a Sunday. Can you tell me where we might be able to go for a Mass? I think the ship gets in early enough to be able to do a 10 or 11 am Mass. Where would be the closest/best church to go to?

Thanks so much

~A

If your ship is docked at the Gruz harbor, then I assume you'll be arriving to the old town by either taxi or shuttle bus. The drop point for all is near to the Pile gate entrance to the old town. Stop at the Dubrovnik Tourist Bureau office, located at that drop point, to obtain the map of town. Ask them for specific directions to the Dominican Monastery, they have Sunday Mass at 10am and 11am. The Dominican is my favorite church and they have an outstanding art collection in the church.

Tell me your arrival date and name of ship. I will let you know whether it is docked at Gruz harbor or at anchor in the bay.

There is an ATM right outside the walls. When you come in on the tender, you turn right and find the first exit outside the walls. There is an ATM on the right. It is no more than a couple minutes walk. You can get Kuna for the wall entrance fee.

There are many more ATM machines inside the old town. Most are located on the Stradun, which is our main promenade. If your ship is at tender, walk thru the arch, turn left and enter the old town. You will find several ATM machines on either side of the Stradun. The main entrance of the wall is located at the opposite end of town, closest to the Pile gate and it is called "Spas" entrance. There is an entrance near Ploca, however you are then going to be walking the most difficult part with the majority of steps first. If you enter at Spas, you can walk only the sea side which is the most spectacular portion of the wall and the easiest part also.

Thank you very much Dubrovniktravelady

We are on the Marina, and arrive in Dubrovnik on Sept 4. Our ship is in port from 8am to 11 pm

~A

Your ship will be docked at the Gruz harbor. Check with the cruise line about their shuttle service and the cost. Taxis will be lined up waiting, the fare is 75 Croatian Kuna or 10 Euros one way for the transfer into the Pile gate entrance.

Have a great day here, it should be sunny and warm, probably hot!

Thank you for your very helpful information - we really appreciate it.

One more question, if you dont mind -- our ship is in port until 11 pm. I was thinking that we would go into town mid morning, and attend mass, and then go back to the ship. In mid/late afternoon, go back and tour the walls when it was less crowded and hot?

Is this feasable? I dont know how long it would take to go back and forth to the ship, but I understand its very crowded on the walls mid day.

Of course, we could try and do the walls very early in the morning, to avoid crowds and heat, but I was hoping to have a later, more leisurely day.

Any advice is truly appreciated.

~A

Thank you for your very helpful information - we really appreciate it.

One more question, if you dont mind -- our ship is in port until 11 pm. I was thinking that we would go into town mid morning, and attend mass, and then go back to the ship. In mid/late afternoon, go back and tour the walls when it was less crowded and hot?

Is this feasable? I dont know how long it would take to go back and forth to the ship, but I understand its very crowded on the walls mid day.

Of course, we could try and do the walls very early in the morning, to avoid crowds and heat, but I was hoping to have a later, more leisurely day.

Any advice is truly appreciated.

~A

There are many historical and cultural sights in the old town and you may want to visit some of them also. The other 2 ships will be departing at 1300, so town will not be crowded after Noon. You do need to understand that walking the walls does take about 2 hours, if you do the entire circuit. You can also walk half, beginning at the main entrance closest to the Pile gate entrance and go down at the half way point at the Ploce exit. You can also take the ferry boat to the island of Lokrum after Mass and wander around or swim off the rocks.

A taxi can take you back to your ship in about 10 minutes, depending on traffic. Personally I would not miss the opportunity to spend a few hours wandering around and would never miss the Rupe Museum. A very old stone building which is always cool inside with the most wonderful displays of old time Dubrovnik and it's inhabitants.

You may also want to ride the cable car to the top of Mt. Srd for the outstanding view of Dubrovnik and the surrounding areas. Most of our museums and churches do close down by 1900 and the old town will be filled with locals and some long term guests strolling, stopping for a glass of wine, perhaps a gelato or sampling some of our fresh seafood at one of the many restaurants.

You only have one short day here, enjoy your time and you understand why it's called "The Pearl of the Adriatic."

Thank you so very much for posting this.

Keith

Thank you so very much for posting this.

Keith

Normally age is under age 12, but often some ticket sellers change it to younger if the child appears to be tall. Don't ask why, it's just how some do it, there is no set rule. You must note many things change here often and quickly, so it may be 12 today and 10 tomorrow.

Normally age is under age 12, but often some ticket sellers change it to younger if the child appears to be tall. Don't ask why, it's just how some do it, there is no set rule. You must note many things change here often and quickly, so it may be 12 today and 10 tomorrow.

Thanks a lot

Thanks for the information - its lovely to get it directly from someone who is a resident!

~A

PS- had a little laugh regarding the 'age' of a child, perhaps its because our kids are older now, that I find the revolving price depending on size quaint and funny!:D

I just realized this was about access to the walls . . . I thought it was the cable cars. This information may help you on payment for the cable cars. I sent an email to the cable car company because their website shows they accept all credit cards. Here's the response I received this morning. You should be able to use your credit cards and not need to purchase Kunas.

We accept all credit cards.

Here on our web page are official informations about cable car, time schedule payments, and etc.

I just realized this was about access to the walls . . . I thought it was the cable cars. This information may help you on payment for the cable cars. I sent an email to the cable car company because their website shows they accept all credit cards. Here's the response I received this morning. You should be able to use your credit cards and not need to purchase Kunas.

We accept all credit cards.

Here on our web page are official informations about cable car, time schedule payments, and etc.

Cable car has always accepted credit cards or Croatian Kuna. However the city wall will only accept Croatian Kuna. If one is going to walk the wall, payment must be made in Kuna.

We will be arriving on the Queen Victoria on Oct. 30, 2011. I don't yet know where we will be docking. I am planning on "strolling" the wall and then wandering around the Old Town and marketplace. Do you have any other suggestions.

dubrovniktravelady,

I googled the exchange rate pounds/kuna and it told me about 84 kuna = £10. Would this be about right? Do you know what the ATM rate would be at the moment?

We visit Dubrovnik in about 4 weeks. We have been before and had relaxing days just wandering round the old town and stopping for a drink. The bars took euros the last time we were there. Is this the same now?

We will be arriving on the Queen Victoria on Oct. 30, 2011. I don't yet know where we will be docking. I am planning on "strolling" the wall and then wandering around the Old Town and marketplace. Do you have any other suggestions.

Queen Victoria is always docked in the Gruz Harbor. However since you're arriving on a Sunday, there will be no vendors in the Gruz market or the smaller one in old town. You may want to visit the Dubrovnik Tourist bureau website, they have much information about the historical and cultural sights in old town. Weather depending and if there is not high winds, do not miss a ride on the cable car. You can obtain the map of town from the tourist bureau office at your drop off point near the Pile gate area. You're coming at the end of the season, some private restaurants and shops may begin to close down. Museums and sights will be open with slightly shorter hours.

dubrovniktravelady,

I googled the exchange rate pounds/kuna and it told me about 84 kuna = £10. Would this be about right? Do you know what the ATM rate would be at the moment?

We visit Dubrovnik in about 4 weeks. We have been before and had relaxing days just wandering round the old town and stopping for a drink. The bars took euros the last time we were there. Is this the same now?

Our ATM machine rates are based on what your bank is giving, check with them prior to your departure. I use an American bank debit card and always get the best exchange rate at our local machines.

You will find it's hit or miss as to which restaurants and bars will take Euros. There has been a push by our local government for most to only use Croatian Kuna. You will be able to spend Kuna here with no problems, not as easy with Euros these days.

Hi Dubrovniktravellady,

do you mind letting me know where Celebrity Solstice will be docked on May 23rd, 2011? Do you recommend a cable car ride for this time of the year? thanks

Hi Dubrovniktravellady,

do you mind letting me know where Celebrity Solstice will be docked on May 23rd, 2011? Do you recommend a cable car ride for this time of the year? thanks

Today our weather is about 68F, with no high winds. Yes, I do recommend the cable car at the end of May.

Easy answer to you question, Celebrity is always at dock in the Gruz Harbor.

Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik.

thank you so much for your help. I was wondering whether to get Kuna ahead of time and you have answered most of my questions before I even knew to ask them. I look forward to walking the walls and the town and riding the cable car. The cable car website was great! Should we purchase our cable car tickets on the website before we get there to avoid long lines?

Judi

thank you so much for your help. I was wondering whether to get Kuna ahead of time and you have answered most of my questions before I even knew to ask them. I look forward to walking the walls and the town and riding the cable car. The cable car website was great! Should we purchase our cable car tickets on the website before we get there to avoid long lines?

Judi

Your arrival date of 23 May will not be overly busy in the old town, about 5,000 cruisers arriving. I doubt highly there will be any type of long lines for the cable car, you may wish buy ahead of time if it makes you feel more comfortable.

Archived