Important Update for Dubrovnik City Wall

First time cruiser here! I'm confused. We'll be in Dubrovnik on Aug 20, on the Carnival Magic. The port schedule shows us there from 7am to 7pm, but the Carnival website shows us there from noon until 8pm.

I'm also concerned about the number of ships it shows in port that day. Are there any recommendations on what we can do during that time. We're a group of 3 with 1 who has mobility issues.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Verify your port times with Carnival, they are usually correct. Times on the port authority website can be off since it's done so far in advance.

More specific about the mobility issues. Wheelchair or just cannot walk long distances.

You should probably think about doing the Cabrio bus, a lovely 2 hour drive around the old town and some of the outlying areas. They do have a couple of steps up and does make 2 photo stops along the route. It's a perfect for anyone for those with any walking issues. Last year the fare was 90 Croatian Kuna, cash only.

http://libertasdubrovnik.hr/cabriobus.jpg

Please let me know if the Cabrio Bus Tour operates on Nov22 Where do we get it and how much pp. Thank you Louisa

Normally it stops running at the end of October. The bus does have a sun roof but no windows and the weather in November can be wet, windy and cold. However it may also be cool, sunny and lovely.

Verify your port times with Carnival, they are usually correct. Times on the port authority website can be off since it's done so far in advance.

More specific about the mobility issues. Wheelchair or just cannot walk long distances.

You should probably think about doing the Cabrio bus, a lovely 2 hour drive around the old town and some of the outlying areas. They do have a couple of steps up and does make 2 photo stops along the route. It's a perfect for anyone for those with any walking issues. Last year the fare was 90 Croatian Kuna, cash only.

http://libertasdubrovnik.hr/cabriobus.jpg

Thank you for the information on the Cabrio bus. How far away from the port is the closest stop? My daughter can't walk long, long distances and she isn't as agile as most people.

With knowing that so many ships are in port on August 20 (if the port's website is correct), I'm concerned about waiting in long lines and not seeing as much of the 'must sees' in the city.

Hi DL,

We are on the Star Princess July 31. We are planning to do the wall first then see the old town, followed by the cable car. Then, a visit to Cavtat and back to the ship. Do you think it is worth hiring a private driver? 200 euros for upto 8 people for the whole day. do you think this is worth it? would it be better to catch a taxi every where we go? do you need a cab for going from the old town to the cable car and back, keeping in mind that it might be hot?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Thank you for the information on the Cabrio bus. How far away from the port is the closest stop? My daughter can't walk long, long distances and she isn't as agile as most people.

With knowing that so many ships are in port on August 20 (if the port's website is correct), I'm concerned about waiting in long lines and not seeing as much of the 'must sees' in the city.

The Cabrio bus trip would be perfect for her. There are only a few steps to enter the bus and you'll be there to assist her. The bus has a hand held audio device in English with very good descriptions of the areas you will visit. Do check the Cabrio site I posted, they show all the pick up points, small black dot with yellow circle. The fare is 90 Kuna per person and I do believe they accept Euros this year, I will verify this today.

Hi DL,

We are on the Star Princess July 31. We are planning to do the wall first then see the old town, followed by the cable car. Then, a visit to Cavtat and back to the ship. Do you think it is worth hiring a private driver? 200 euros for upto 8 people for the whole day. do you think this is worth it? would it be better to catch a taxi every where we go? do you need a cab for going from the old town to the cable car and back, keeping in mind that it might be hot?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

It is very difficult for me to answer if I think a private driver tour is worth it, that is up to you to decide.

Once you reach the old town there will be no way to utilize a taxi service until you depart. The old town is car free and ship shuttle buses all arrive at the Pile gate entrance area. It's then the walking begins, the entire wall should take about 2 hours, you may want to only do half - the sea side as it is the least difficult and has the best views.

You will need a map to find the cable car entrance which is located closest to the Ploce entrance which is the far eastern end of the old town. I have posted the tourist bureau website and the site for a very good map of the town. Do download it and you will get a better feel for Dubrovnik and it's surrounding areas.

Cable car has always accepted credit cards or Croatian Kuna. However the city wall will only accept Croatian Kuna. If one is going to walk the wall, payment must be made in Kuna.

Could you tell me if there are long queues for the cable car please? We are arriving on the Celebrity Solstice on July 31st and I think there are a few ships in that day. The ship offers an excursion which combines the cable car with a guided walk - do the ship tours get straight onto the cable car or do they wait in the line?

Thanks - all your information is so helpful.

Gillian

Could you tell me if there are long queues for the cable car please? We are arriving on the Celebrity Solstice on July 31st and I think there are a few ships in that day. The ship offers an excursion which combines the cable car with a guided walk - do the ship tours get straight onto the cable car or do they wait in the line?

Thanks - all your information is so helpful.

Gillian

The cable car entrance is not the easiest site in town to find, so many don't bother. I doubt there is going to be a huge queue. The ride only takes 4 minutes to reach the top, so you should not worry about standing around for hours.

Good question, do the guided tours pass by all other guests? Perhaps someone can answer that who has had a personal experience.

I don't think you can bypass the line, but there wasn't much of one

DSC_0567.JPG

I imagine the groups have specific time slots when they are supposed to show up.

Lots of pictures from that tour beginning about #239 on page4

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalMagic/May_10_2011/index.htm#DUB

The earlier pages are pictures from Walking the Wall.

Archived