HELP!! Never been to Antigua...need excursion recommendations!

CCLcruiserga

My family (D-51, M-51, LS-13) are cruising this summer with Antigua being one of our ports. My dad is somewhat limitein mobility, so we are looking more towards the beach/snorkel route. Any recommendations? The ones offered through Carnival just seem okay. Any help would really be appreciated!!

Just returned from our Freedom cruise and we had similar issues. I booked with Gordon and explained to him ahead of time that in our group of 13 there were two ladies in their late 70's and my 49 year sister who is a stroke survivor. He had a bus for us, it had A/C and was very comfortable, and we had a wonderful guide. We did a version of the "best of the island" tour and it was perfect! My sister was able to see everything, the walking distances were short. We ended the day at the each for about 2 hours. One in our group also lost her prescription eyeglasses. I e-mailed Gordon from the ship and after searching the bus twice they found them tucked between two seats. He sent them back to the US by FEDEX.....he is a great guy and I would recommend dropping him an e-mail and asking him for suggestions based on your needs.

We did the paddles eco tour which was a bus ride to their facility, a boat ride to bird island, snorkel off bird island, enjoy beach or hike bird island, then boat ride to area for sea kayaking. You could sea kayak (physical fitness required) or sit in the boat that followed us to pick you up if you got too tired. The tour DID require a 1/4mile uphill walk at end to get back on the bus. They have a website for information and videos of the trip. (google paddles antigua) We did this tour through the RC excursions.

Thank you so much! We too are going on the Freedom in June! My dad is recovering from nerve damage in his feet so he is walking (well) with a cane and sometimes without. I've been hoping someone would reply, so thank you very much! I will definitely look into that excursion! How did you like the Freedom? We love Carnival, and this will be our first time on that boat. Also, if you have time, what excursions did you do at the other ports? We are looking at Sapphire Beach for St. Thomas, the Dolphin swimming excursion in Tortola, and still deciding on Nassua, as we have done the Atlantis before. Again, thank you!

We loved the Freedom!

In St. Thomas we took the ferry over to Water Island and walked to Honeymoon Beach. The walk up the hill would be an issue for your dad if he has mobility issues.

Tortola I booked our group of 13 with Patouche Charter. I e-mailed back and forth several times before deciding, based on the needs of our group. We had two women in their late 70's (one celebrated her 80th birthday on the cruise) and my sister. We chartered the boat for the day for our group (the more expensive option) and all 13 agreed at days end that it was the best day on our cruise! Capt. Joe is all about safety first and was very patient with each of the ladies so they could enjoy every moment of the day. My sister was able to get off the back of the catamaran and with my help (and that of our other sister) she was able to snorkel. We visited the Baths, but decided ahead of time that the climbing would be too difficult for her, but she was thrilled to be able to do all she did. I will post a few pictures below.

In Nassau we took a cab to the Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort and bought a day pass for $25 per person. Beautiful beach but food and drink a bit pricey. The #10 jitney goes there for about $1.25 each, but to avoid more walking to get to the bus, we opted to pay a little more and take a cab.

Our group on the front of the Catamaran

IMG_6300.JPG

Capt. Joe teaching the group how to blow on a conch shell

IMG_6382.JPG

We snorkeled here off of Cooper Island

IMG_6345.JPG

Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort

IMG_6450.JPG

I would like to give another recommendation for Gordon. He is an amazing guide; very funny, very professional, and very knowledgeable about the island he clearly loves.

We met him at the pier (just a note: Antigua docking pier is not the nicest on the southern itinerary. So its much better to get out and see the island). Gordon's tour had it all; some local food (patties are awesome!), Nelson's dockyard, devils bridge, amazing views, good amount of beach time (1.5 hrs on my tour). After his tour, we really felt like we had seen Antigua and got some time to swim, relax, and have a few drinks. We had about 1.5 hrs back at pier, but again, its not very nice and there is not much to do so we just grabbed an appetizer and went back to the ship.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did a segway tour (Conquerors of the Fort) in the morning and then after a quick lunch on the ship we are going to take the public bus to Valley Church Beach for a few hours.

We were told to meet on the pier, but not exactly where. We were supposed to meet up with "the guide on the segway". LOL I asked at the taxi/information stand and they told me where they usually met. Sure enough a few minutes later our guide rolled up on the segway.

We hopped in a taxi (an additional charge to the tour but given to us at a discount if we bought it with our tour) and we were taken to their office on Runaway Beach. We watched a safety video that scared me (a crash dummy continues to fall and get hurt) a bit and then we were given helmets, elbow pads and taken out to the "training ground".

We were given both group and individual instructions on how to mount, dismount and control the segway. The safety video had me a little freaked out and the first time I stepped onto the segway I remembered just how uncordinated I become when my feet lose direct contact with the ground. :eek:

I did start to get the hang of it and I was relieved! I thought I was going to have to ask for a refund and hang out on the beach until the tour was over. LOL

DSCN8766.jpg

We first trained on concrete and we were taught how to do both a gradual and sudden stop, use hand signals, turn and manouver around. Then we moved to a grass/gravel/sand area so we could see how the segway would move on a different surface.

Once everyone got the hang of it we lined up and started the official tour. Juliette (the owner I believe) had a megaphone and was giving directions and telling us about what we were seeing. A second guide was going back and forth taking pictures of everyone (emailed to us for free after the tour) before heading back to get the van and snacks.

DSC00955.jpg

After riding on the paved roadway for awhile (avoiding some pot holes along the way) we turned onto a gravel road and then onto the beach! Juliette stopped us to make sure it was safe and then we all rode onto the sand right up to the surf line. Runaway beach was beautiful and quiet. There weren't a lot of people there at all...

DSCN8816.jpg

A group shot...

DSCN8812.jpg

After leaving the beach we rode to Fort James where we stopped for drinks and snacks. They provided cold water, raw sugar cane and fruit skewers (watermelon, honeydew and cantelope) and then we could walk around and explore to give our feet a rest and then we had "freestyle" time where we could take the segway around the fort and go see whatever we wanted to see.

DSC00969.jpg

After the freestyle time we headed back to the segway office, turned in our segway, took off our gear and headed to the bar where we received a complimentary drink (water, soft drink or rum punch).

Since we were spending the afternoon at Valley Church we decided not to stay at Runaway beach longer than it took us to finish our drinks and for our taxi to arrive (again discounted rate if we booked it with our segway tour). As part of our tour we had the option to stay at Runaway for an hour or two (chairs not included)

We went back to the ship just long enough to change into our swimwear and have a quick lunch. We met back up at 12:30 and walked to the public bus station (it took about 10-15 minutes at a fairly quick pace). We took #22 (1.50 pp, exact change only) and we waited on the bus for about 10 minutes before the driver got on board. Once we started it was probably about 15 minutes to the beach. He dropped us off at the end of a dirt lane and we weren't for sure we were where we needed to be but since a church was across the street we figured it had to be it.

At the end of the lane was The Nest and one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen!

DSC00996.jpg

I got a chair for $5. I dumped my stuff on a chair and we all made a beeline for the water.

We all commented that we didn't know why we bothered to get the chairs, 99% of our time was spent hanging out in the water. LOL The water was warm and the tide was calm so we could just stand there and bob up and down with the swells.

P6090008.jpg

DSC01027.jpg

There were some small shells that could be found if you looked I found shells called "turkey wings" and "bubbles" for those of you who are familiar with the names. Once you got past the surf line the sand was powdery soft and smooth. If you have sensitive feet you may want to have water shoes but I didn't need them.

P6090024.jpg

We arranged for a taxi to take us back at 3:00. I wanted to do a little shopping and we wanted to make sure we were back at the pier well before the 4:30 all aboard.

I loved Antigua!!!!!!

More pictures from Antigua: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/10...ne%209%202011/

• 4 months later...
Since we were spending the afternoon at Valley Church we decided not to stay at Runaway beach longer than it took us to finish our drinks and for our taxi to arrive (again discounted rate if we booked it with our segway tour). As part of our tour we had the option to stay at Runaway for an hour or two (chairs not included)

We went back to the ship just long enough to change into our swimwear and have a quick lunch. We met back up at 12:30 and walked to the public bus station (it took about 10-15 minutes at a fairly quick pace). We took #22 (1.50 pp, exact change only) and we waited on the bus for about 10 minutes before the driver got on board. Once we started it was probably about 15 minutes to the beach. He dropped us off at the end of a dirt lane and we weren't for sure we were where we needed to be but since a church was across the street we figured it had to be it.

At the end of the lane was The Nest and one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen!

DSC00996.jpg

I got a chair for $5. I dumped my stuff on a chair and we all made a beeline for the water.

We all commented that we didn't know why we bothered to get the chairs, 99% of our time was spent hanging out in the water. LOL The water was warm and the tide was calm so we could just stand there and bob up and down with the swells.

P6090008.jpg

DSC01027.jpg

There were some small shells that could be found if you looked I found shells called "turkey wings" and "bubbles" for those of you who are familiar with the names. Once you got past the surf line the sand was powdery soft and smooth. If you have sensitive feet you may want to have water shoes but I didn't need them.

P6090024.jpg

We arranged for a taxi to take us back at 3:00. I wanted to do a little shopping and we wanted to make sure we were back at the pier well before the 4:30 all aboard.

I loved Antigua!!!!!!

More pictures from Antigua:

this looks absolutely beautiful. I may have to think some more about what to do on Antigua. Thanks for the pix.

DSC00996.jpg

P6090008.jpg

DSC01027.jpg

P6090024.jpg

I loved Antigua!!!!!!

More pictures from Antigua:

these are great pix. I may have to reconsider my day on Antigua.

We had the most extraordinary excursion with creole cruises antigua dot com

A full day of sailing & snorkeling and including a HUGE lobster grilled on the beach while we watched. Only 8 passengers on the boat.

Captain Glen was absolutely fantastic and his crew, equally welcoming.

DON'T MISS IT!!

DSC00996.jpg

P6090008.jpg

DSC01027.jpg

P6090024.jpg

I loved Antigua!!!!!!

More pictures from Antigua: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/10...ne%209%202011/

Is that beach called "the nest"? It's beautiful! Was anyone snorkeling there?

My family (D-51, M-51, LS-13) are cruising this summer with Antigua being one of our ports. My dad is somewhat limitein mobility, so we are looking more towards the beach/snorkel route. Any recommendations? The ones offered through Carnival just seem okay. Any help would really be appreciated!!

We've had 2 great experiences on Antigua, one land-based and one water.

The Excellence is the best day sail we've taken anywhere, great crew, lunch, and itinerary. Smorkeling was very good with turtles, but the sailing into the harbors was really great.

Took a land tour with Lawrence of Antigua, excellent guide and we spent time on a beach.

Both great days, but I would highly recommend the Excellence. Book it early through Carnival as it is the best. They're docked right at the pier, we walked by it thinking it was a private cat because it was so nice.

Wow - there are enough repeat pics above!

We had the most extraordinary excursion with creole cruises antigua dot com

A full day of sailing & snorkeling and including a HUGE lobster grilled on the beach while we watched. Only 8 passengers on the boat.

Captain Glen was absolutely fantastic and his crew, equally welcoming.

DON'T MISS IT!!

OMG! We had the greatest time on Creole Cruises with Capt Glenn. I was convinced thanks to Host Faith on this message board. We had one of the greatest days and the lunch was ahhh-maaa-zing! So was the rum punch and wine! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

This ended up being our favorite excursion! It was well worth the money. We booked it through the cruise line. Air-conditioned van drove us approximately 35 minutes to Stingray City, where we were given an orientation and snorkel gear.

We then boarded a large boat for a ride out to their docks. Not sure how far it was, but it wasn't a short ride. I'd guess it at about 15 minutes. Once at the floating dock, we left our bags on the boat, which stayed at the dock the entire time we were there. One employee also stayed on the boat, but didn't move from his spot up front, so no worries about theft from him or anyone else.

We were surprised to have approximately one hour in the water with the stingrays, longer than we expected. And there were TONS of stingrays! They were everywhere, underfoot, around your legs, swimming all around you. We were shown how to hold them, while the crew took a photo. They also waited for the family members to take their own photos. No rush at all. We were also shown how to feed them. Water was approx. 5-1/2 feet deep. There were very sharp rocks surrounding the area, which the crew warned us about as soon as we got too close to them.

All in all, it was a great experience that I wouldn't hesitate to do again. Upon return to Stingray City, we had rum or fruit punch, while they sold their 5x7 photos at $15.00/each or $20 if you wanted the photo on CD as well. The photos were excellent - we did buy ours.

I would be happy to answer any questions.

Cruisehappi, I can't believe I missed this review, I am so excited to read a recent review and especially one from an Emerald ship excursion since we will be on that ship in January. I have this excursion booked through the ship as well, I don't usually book ship's excursions but it seemed like it is complicated to get there and didn't end up being any less expensive. A couple questions: Was the excursion very crowded? (with people, not stingrays, lol) You mention that the water is about 5 1/2 feet deep, I'm 5'2", will I be able to stand up? Surely other short people take this excursion :) How long did you have back at Stingray City before they took you back to the ship? Which tour did you take, ours ends at 1:15. Did you have time in St. John's to do anything else after you were taken back to the port? Thanks for any info, and I would be interested to hear what else you did in the other ports.

We just got back and also did the stingrays but went with a private guide, Gordon who I found here on cc and had rec'd good reviews. www.tourguidegordon.com I thought he offered a fantastic day for $40 pp which included a full day's tour --fort, devil's bridge, etc --and transportation to/from the rays. Nice guy too.

We paid for the rays separately the normal cost of $50 pp. Our group arrived just a few mins before the cruise tours were leaving. Once they were gone it was wonderfully quiet and peaceful.

we were there on 11/7 and the water was only about 4 feet high at the most. I'm sure it depends on the weather and the tides.

susan

Archived