HELP!! Never been to Antigua...need excursion recommendations!

CCLcruiserga

Water depth definetely depends on the tides! I am 5'-3" and I was able to stand in some places but had to tread water in most spots. I also found some rocks to stand on! But beware of the sharp rocks they warn you about - they're really bad!

We were also on the tour that ends at 1:15. I'm going to guess there were about 25 people. Some of them were there privately, not all cruisers. It was not overcrowded at all. Plenty of time and stingrays to go around. The employees had buckets of squid to feed the stingrays, and when everyone was done with their turn we continued feeding them for awhile. Upon return, we were at Stingray City for 30-45 minutes. Time to enjoy punch, rinse the salt water off, dry out a little, check out and purchase our official Stingray photos, look at what the local ladies had for sale.

After returning, we checked out the local area and the port area, but didn't do any other excursions.

You'll have a great time! The Emerald has more than one Caribbean itinerary - which one are you on?

We are on the same itinerary, "Eastern", with stops at Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and of course St. Thomas and Princess Cays. My stepdaughter is an entertainer on the Emerald and I just spoke to her today about making sure she can join us on this excursion. She said they recently ate lunch at a great Caribbean restaurant in St. John's that she wants to take us to so it sounds like we have our Antigua day all set! :)

can we use our own underwater camera and take photos? Thanks!

Absolutely! We used an old 35 mm underwater camera, as well as two underwater disposables. The prints were pretty good on both types, considering how fast the stingrays move around under the water. Got some fantastic shots just at the water line and above.

In this particular area, we didn't see many corals, but plenty of colorful fish. I think the snorkeling was to keep people busy when they weren't feeding the stingrays, but there were so many stingrays that we took the snorkels off and just enjoyed them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all.

We recently got off of RCCL's Explorer by the Seas cruise that included a stop in Antigua. As part of preparing for our cruise, we checked these boards for possible excursions and tours. One of the things we could find little about was an excursion that was offered called, "See Antigua by the Sea". The RCCL description had some basics, and the staff at the Excursion Desk had nothing additional. I did take this excursion, so I thought I would provide a description, here.

This excursion is in it's simple form, a high speed cruise around the island on a powered catamaran. It includes a stop at a small beach for swimming, snorkeling, and lunch. The total trip is about 6 hours. That much is already in the description. Here is the rest:

The boat that is used has an upper and lower deck. It can hold up to about 150 people. It docks right next to the end of the pier, so it is only a short walk from the ship. Some other excursions of a similar type on other islands have weight limits. This boat does not have that issue. When the boat docks at the beach, there is a staircase that drops from the front onto the beach for easy access. In addition, there are urinals, toilets, and change areas available below deck.

Beverages (juice, soda, Rum Punch, beer, wine) are available throughout the trip. Lunch is served while stopped at the beach. It consists of chicken, fish, rice, noodles, and salad. The chicken and fish is cooked on a gas grill located on the back of the boat, so it is warm.

The stop at the beach is for about 2 1/2 -3 hours. The beach is small and located in a small bay area on a separate island from Antigua. There is plenty of room around the boat to swim. The beach does have sand, but there is a lot of underwater grass after you get a short distance from shore. (I recommend using water shoes to swim unless you are snorkeling.) The boat does provide snorkeling equipment, and they guide you around the corner from the small bay to where it is better to see the fish. Snorkeling is optional. (We didn't do it.)

The beach, while small, is OK. There are small lizards that live there and will come and visit, but are not a problem. (They will run away if you go towards them.) You will need to bring a towel if you want to lay on the beach or go swimming. However, if you want, you may just stay on the boat.

The catamaran has two powerful motors, so it does cover a lot of sea pretty fast. To get to and from the small island with the beach requires a short (20 minutes), very bouncy ride across the Atlantic. Don't plan on moving around the boat during that time. Otherwise, most of the trip is close to Antigua, and while still bouncy and windy, it is a lot of fun.

Highlights of beaches, resorts, and expensive homes (and some of their owners) are pointed out while traveling around Antigua. In addition, the boat pulls slowly into Nelson's Dockyard to give a visual tour of the area and the expensive yachts docked there. (It does not stop, only floats in, turns around, then floats out.)

One caveat: Because it is windy and open on the boat, loose items can be blown around. Be sure to keep your things under control and close. If necessary, there is a small shelf storage area at the back of the boat (under the grill) that can hold some things. However, their rules are simple, if something falls overboard, they are not going back. (I did loose my cap. Oh, well.)

If you like the wind in your hair while on a boat, sun, snorkeling, and/or swimming, this is a fun option. If you do take this excursion, be sure to tell Gary (behind the bar with the microphone) that Jim says, "Hi!"

Jim (using his DW's account)

• 1 month later...
Hi, all.

We recently got off of RCCL's Explorer by the Seas cruise that included a stop in Antigua. As part of preparing for our cruise, we checked these boards for possible excursions and tours. One of the things we could find little about was an excursion that was offered called, "See Antigua by the Sea". The RCCL description had some basics, and the staff at the Excursion Desk had nothing additional. I did take this excursion, so I thought I would provide a description, here.

This excursion is in it's simple form, a high speed cruise around the island on a powered catamaran. It includes a stop at a small beach for swimming, snorkeling, and lunch. The total trip is about 6 hours. That much is already in the description. Here is the rest:

The boat that is used has an upper and lower deck. It can hold up to about 150 people. It docks right next to the end of the pier, so it is only a short walk from the ship. Some other excursions of a similar type on other islands have weight limits. This boat does not have that issue. When the boat docks at the beach, there is a staircase that drops from the front onto the beach for easy access. In addition, there are urinals, toilets, and change areas available below deck.

Beverages (juice, soda, Rum Punch, beer, wine) are available throughout the trip. Lunch is served while stopped at the beach. It consists of chicken, fish, rice, noodles, and salad. The chicken and fish is cooked on a gas grill located on the back of the boat, so it is warm.

The stop at the beach is for about 2 1/2 -3 hours. The beach is small and located in a small bay area on a separate island from Antigua. There is plenty of room around the boat to swim. The beach does have sand, but there is a lot of underwater grass after you get a short distance from shore. (I recommend using water shoes to swim unless you are snorkeling.) The boat does provide snorkeling equipment, and they guide you around the corner from the small bay to where it is better to see the fish. Snorkeling is optional. (We didn't do it.)

The beach, while small, is OK. There are small lizards that live there and will come and visit, but are not a problem. (They will run away if you go towards them.) You will need to bring a towel if you want to lay on the beach or go swimming. However, if you want, you may just stay on the boat.

The catamaran has two powerful motors, so it does cover a lot of sea pretty fast. To get to and from the small island with the beach requires a short (20 minutes), very bouncy ride across the Atlantic. Don't plan on moving around the boat during that time. Otherwise, most of the trip is close to Antigua, and while still bouncy and windy, it is a lot of fun.

Highlights of beaches, resorts, and expensive homes (and some of their owners) are pointed out while traveling around Antigua. In addition, the boat pulls slowly into Nelson's Dockyard to give a visual tour of the area and the expensive yachts docked there. (It does not stop, only floats in, turns around, then floats out.)

One caveat: Because it is windy and open on the boat, loose items can be blown around. Be sure to keep your things under control and close. If necessary, there is a small shelf storage area at the back of the boat (under the grill) that can hold some things. However, their rules are simple, if something falls overboard, they are not going back. (I did loose my cap. Oh, well.)

If you like the wind in your hair while on a boat, sun, snorkeling, and/or swimming, this is a fun option. If you do take this excursion, be sure to tell Gary (behind the bar with the microphone) that Jim says, "Hi!"

Jim (using his DW's account)

We also found this excursion to be one of our favorites. We (wife Kathy and I) have been to Antiqua four (4) times in the past several years and have sailed on " The Excellence" 3 times.

I highley reccommend it.

Also as you pass by be sure to wave to Oprah, Her home is on a most beautiful private island.

John and Kathy

We too highly recommend a day on the Excellence, beautiful cat and excellent crew! Seeing English zharbor and the coastline from the water is a wonderful way to experience Antigua. We've also done land-based tours which are alse great, but the Excellence is one of our two favorite excursions in the Caribbean, the other being the Golden Eagle cat sail in St Marteen.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back this weekend so very up to date report

\

We booked Paddles Kayak. It is a local couples home. First a bus from ship, then speed boat to kayaks - we paddled for about an hour.

Then speed boat to Bird island - uninhabited. Then either the beach there or snokeling. the snorkeling was wonderful

Back to their home by the speedboat and then rum and cakes for a snack.

I ordered online and it was cheaper than a kayak excursion on the ship

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise and we did the Paddles Kayak and Snorkeling tour as well. It was awesome! It probably should be described as an Eco-tour. James, the guide was very knowledgeable and we actually saw a mom and baby dolphin in the mangroves where we were kayaking.

Walking around the grounds after the tour was even interesting. The flowers and birds there were awesome. Everyone there is extremely friendly and very happy to answer any questions about the area. Would definitely do this again in the future! :D

We just returned from our cruise and we did the Paddles Kayak and Snorkeling tour as well. It was awesome! It probably should be described as an Eco-tour. James, the guide was very knowledgeable and we actually saw a mom and baby dolphin in the mangroves where we were kayaking.

Walking around the grounds after the tour was even interesting. The flowers and birds there were awesome. Everyone there is extremely friendly and very happy to answer any questions about the area. Would definitely do this again in the future! :D

Do people take their cameras on these type of excursions? Thought about doing one of these excursions but I love to take pictures and would hate not to have them. Not sure what to do.

Do people take their cameras on these type of excursions? Thought about doing one of these excursions but I love to take pictures and would hate not to have them. Not sure what to do.

I brought my waterproof and underwater camera for snorkeling as well as photos while kayaking. The view from Bird Island was breath taking as was the information given to us by our guide on some of the birds and snakes that inhabit the island.

We had the most extraordinary excursion with creole cruises antigua dot com

A full day of sailing & snorkeling and including a HUGE lobster grilled on the beach while we watched. Only 8 passengers on the boat.

Captain Glen was absolutely fantastic and his crew, equally welcoming.

DON'T MISS IT!!

I emailed twice. The second time they responded they had a private party. Bummer:mad:

Archived