San Francisco - Pier 27 ????

sprinkles

Hi All,

For those who know - or are going on the Sea Princess soon and can report back later.

I'm sailing June 7th with my parents and have never gone our of San Francisco. I was just reading the Princess provided info which is about pier 35, it says that private cars, taxi's etc. are NOT allowed to enter to drop off passengers and that there is no stopping on the street. Is this the same for pier 27?

Our plan was for my Dad to drop us off with luggage and go park the car and walk back on his own. Are we allowed to pull up to pier 27? If not, where can we stop? Where we would have to stop - are there porters out there (my Mom and I couldn't possibly handle all the luggage by ourselves)

Plus - does anyone know about 55 Francisco parking and how far it is from pier 27? Are there benches outside the terminal where we could wait for my dad?

Any info would be appreciated. If it really is that bad, we might just stick with my Dad and take a taxi to the ship, at least then Dad can help with the luggage.

Thanks,

Tammy

Hi All,

For those who know - or are going on the Sea Princess soon and can report back later.

I'm sailing June 7th with my parents and have never gone our of San Francisco. I was just reading the Princess provided info which is about pier 35, it says that private cars, taxi's etc. are NOT allowed to enter to drop off passengers and that there is no stopping on the street. Is this the same for pier 27?

Our plan was for my Dad to drop us off with luggage and go park the car and walk back on his own. Are we allowed to pull up to pier 27? If not, where can we stop? Where we would have to stop - are there porters out there (my Mom and I couldn't possibly handle all the luggage by ourselves)

Plus - does anyone know about 55 Francisco parking and how far it is from pier 27? Are there benches outside the terminal where we could wait for my dad?

Any info would be appreciated. If it really is that bad, we might just stick with my Dad and take a taxi to the ship, at least then Dad can help with the luggage.

Thanks,

Tammy

I don't recall exactly what the parking and load/unload zones are like that area, but looking at google Streetview, I see a lot of "No STOPPING ANYTIME" signs. So I wouldn't count on being dropped off on the Embarcadero. There are side streets that you would probably be fine doing. But depending on the mobility of you and your parents, consider keeping things simple. Either take the taxi or walk the 3 blocks/quarter mile to the pier from the garage. I think even with luggage it shouldn't be bad and will be flat. You'll probably walk further distance when you are in the terminal than you will getting to it from your parking. You should be able to CLEARLY see the ship from the parking garage.

Last time we sailed out of SF it was a ZOO outside of the terminal - the terminal actually opens out onto a sidewalk-wide area then into the street. So depending on what time you get there you may have to be dealing with departing passengers as well as incoming ones. We drove up to the area, there were cars, taxi's, limos all trying to get in front - somehow i did manage to get close enough to drop off my wife and luggage while I parked. In hindsight, the parking garage is almost directly across the street and when we go out of SF next year we will avoid all that craziness and walk over from the garage. If you try to drop off your luggage first, be prepared!

I did a quick search on Princess site and Google and this is what I found:

This is a photo of the San Francisco Pier where Princess should dock.

1.jpg

This is a street view of the Pier: Looks like there is not a lot of room to me!

2.jpg

Next is a photo showing the San Francisco Pier and Pier 27

3.jpg

Finally a photo with the Public Parking facilities near the Pier. All of these parking facilities have phone numbers so you could call ahead and try and make advance arrangements to ensure a place is waiting for you.

4.jpg

I hope some of this is helpful

I did a quick search on Princess site and Google and this is what I found:

This is a photo of the San Francisco Pier where Princess should dock.

1.jpg

This is a street view of the Pier: Looks like there is not a lot of room to me!

2.jpg

Next is a photo showing the San Francisco Pier and Pier 27

3.jpg

Finally a photo with the Public Parking facilities near the Pier. All of these parking facilities have phone numbers so you could call ahead and try and make advance arrangements to ensure a place is waiting for you.

4.jpg

I hope some of this is helpful

The first and last picture shown is of the old ferry building. It is NOT where the ships dock. They dock at piers 35 and 27 (and some poor souls get let off south of the bay bridge when 3 ships are in town). As someone else stated, when a ship is in town, its madness around 35 and 27 and theres not much room to move around much less drop people off. The embarcadero will be jammed up, however I guess you would likely have plenty of time to get out and get your luggage out, in the lane of traffic without holding up traffic, just don't recommend it. :D

I'm 99.99% sure that the earlier photos showing the clock tower and "Port of SF" are not where cruise ships dock. That is actually the ferry buildilng at the foot of Market street. The cruise ship terminals (pier 27 & pier 35) are further north along the embarcadero.

I will reply twice.

What Princess is saying is that cars are not allowed "inside" the Pier -- some drivers see buses and Limos go inside and they think they can drive inside.

Luggage and Pax are dropped off at the "curb". The porters go up and down the curb to pick up the luggage -- sort of hail the Porter to come to your luggage. Whether one agrees with me or not -- the Porter will hasten toward you if you are holding $5 or $10 bill in your hand as you wave toward the Porter.

Hi All,

I was just reading the Princess provided info which is about pier 35, it says that private cars, taxi's etc. are NOT allowed to enter to drop off passengers and that there is no stopping on the street. Is this the same for pier 27?

Thanks,

Tammy

I do not think you should worry about this

The curb lane in front of the Piers 35 & 27 is traffic controlled by upmteen cops. As you approach Pier 23 (before Pier 27), the person sitting in front seat with your Dad must observe where the Curb Lane is cordoned off for drop off and tell your Dad to move to the Curb Lane and join the line of cars and "Taxis" at the Curb Lane. Otherwise, he will be stuck on 2nd lane and getting to the Curb Lane will be messy. I tend to move to the curb lane a little too early and get stuck in the curb lane traffic a little longer because cars pass me and cut into the curb lane. Sometimes it may take 15 min of stop and go at the Curb Lane to go from Pier 23 to Pier 27. Just use alert commonsense driving -- we have done it many times.

The other option is to get into the far left lane and use the left turn lanes in front of Pier 27 or Pier 35. Turn Left and get dropped off on the other side of Embarcadero and cross Embarcadero with your luggage. I do not recommend this for Pax or Luggage but for finding Parking one has to make the Left Turn. The Parking Garage across fro Pier 35/27 has 2 types of Parking with separate entrances -- long term cruise parking and a higher priced hourly Parking.

Hi All,

Thanks,

Tammy

Agree with those who said the 3 out of 4 photos are of the Ferry building that is pier 1.

We took a taxi to/from pier 35, and it's not true that they are not allowed. The taxis are allowed to drop passengers off, and when the ship comes back, they are lined up waiting for passengers, and Princess employees are on the curb with phones or walkies-talkies getting more taxis if needed, helping people.

The taxi will drop you off where your luggage will be picked up, after that you go inside, like in any place in the world.

Google "pier 27 san francisco" and click on "images" on the top - this may be helpful. There must be area for private cars to stop to drop you off - if not, you will find something not far from the pier, the area around it is flat, no hills.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=pier+27+san+francisco&cp=11&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tljp1304545293309016&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=780&bih=428

I went to the Princess Web site and downloaded their posted address for the San Fran Pier. Then I entered that address onto Google Earth and this is what I came up with. I have never sailed out of San Fran so am only going by the info provided by Princess.

I will go and enter the posted piers mentioned above and get back to you.

Sorry if this has led to more confusion than help.

I went again to Princess and had it lead me to San Francisco Ports Authority Web Site and the two seem to contradict each other.

Priness PDF first statememt is:

San Francisco

Port of San Francisco, Pier 35

General Informaion

The next section states:

Port Address

The Embarcadero

San Francisco, CA 94111

(note this is the address I entered in Google Earth)

The San Francisco Port Authority Web Site States:

Sea Princess

Date: 5/10/2011 7:00AM - 4:00PM

San Francisco, California

VERY CONFUSING and again sorry if I added to the confusion!

Anyway here are two photos, one of Pier 27 and one of the area including the parking available. I would also advise you to go to the Princess link here to view the PDF and it provides parking information. http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/embarkation_port_guides/San_Francisco_Info.pdf

6.jpg

5.jpg

Can anyone tell me how far it is to the pier from the airport and what the cost of a taxi might be. Thanks

I fear I have given so much incorrect info here I am scared to say anything else, but. if you follow the link I provided in my post above your's there is a link to a Princess document that gives you exactly that information.

I do hope this helps.

On the contrary, your photos and explanations are quite good.

I fear I have given so much incorrect info here I am scared to say anything else, but. if you follow the link I provided in my post above your's there is a link to a Princess document that gives you exactly that information.

I do hope this helps.

Thanks All -

Judging by the responses, I think it's going to be as crazy as I imagine. We might just have to play it by ear. When DH and I travel together we can handle our own luggage, but my parents - that's another story!

Thanks,

Tammy

Thanks All -

Judging by the responses, I think it's going to be as crazy as I imagine. We might just have to play it by ear. When DH and I travel together we can handle our own luggage, but my parents - that's another story!

Thanks,

Tammy

TAMMY:

In spite of our "efforts" have a great cruise.

Can anyone tell me how far it is to the pier from the airport and what the cost of a taxi might be. Thanks

About a month ago I took a taxi from SFO to the union square area for about $45. It was always about $10 to get to the pier areas, so my best guess would be about $55 before tip.

Sprinkles-- Twice, I've used SF Cruise Terminal Parking at 80 Francisco Street Garage, operated by City Park. (cruiseparking@cityparksf.com) I'll be using them again on May 30th, doing the Sea Princess to Alaska. My Princess Cruise Personalizer Itinerary states that we will be leaving from Pier 27 and on our return, we disembark on Pier 35. This garage is one block from Pier 35. It has 5 levels of parking and takes all credit cards. I will drop my wife with two luggages off at Pier 27, drive over to the garage and walk 4 blocks back. Hopes this help. Gimer

My only experience with Pier #27 was arriving last May from Ft. Lauderdale. The main issue was that there were many, many, many taxis pulling in, loading and then leaving. :eek:

I don't think you could park outside the pier even long enough to unload the car.

I think what you could do would be to pull up approx 50-100 yards from the pier, unload the car, and start schleping the luggage toward the pier. ;) Or wait for your dad to come back from parking the car and then you all start heading for the pier together - no one gets lost / left behind.

I sailed out of Pier 27 last September on the Sea Princess and was amazed at how easy it was. We were fortunate to have a friend drive us the the pier (we live an hour away). However, it was very organized. We were able to drive right in and were directed to the luggage drop off location, inside a warehouse type building. We got out of the car there, our luggage was taken by the porters, and our friend was able to drive away, through the building. We just had a short walk to the check-in building. Pier 27 is about halfway between the Ferry building and pier 35, a bit closer to 35. Just do your research on what parking garages are near to 27, or what your public transportation options are, and you all should be fine. Expect a little craziness when you are dealing with thousands of other people doing the same thing you are, but relax, you are going on vacation. :)

I wouldn't worry about which pier the Sea Princess will dock at. The piers in question are within 200 yards of each other. Furthermore, any cruiseship will tower over anything on the waterfront, making it quite easy to spot from the Embarcadero unless you are blind. Just tell the taxi driver that the ship will be at either Pier 27 or 35. He should easily spot it unless there are two ships in town.

Archived