Rhine water levels

mdbabs

Sorry, but I wouldn´t say that the Danube river is usually a better bet. The Danube river is also pretty low. And there´s a stretch between Deggendorf and Straubing where there are no locks. This area is the first one causing problems with low water. We still didn´t have any major rain (except for a bunch of local thunderstorms). So the situation is still bad. Lake Constanze is on a record low (feeding the Rhine river).

You can check here for the Danube river. It´s all on yellow meaning low water. When you click on the dots you´ll get a chart. You can see it´s still going down. Straubing is very close to "very low" (orange). Deggendorf isn´t far away either.

steamboats

Thanks for the update on the Rhine levels. We're flying out tomorrow and will board in Amsterdam on Saturday. Fingers crossed!

We are also leaving Sat out of Boston for Amsterdam via Iceland. Looks like we have Volcano ash and low water levels to worry about. They are in the process of reopening the airports. Hope everything goes well. This is our first river cruise, the Avalon Imagery, and we hope it doesn't turn into a bus tour. Whatever happens we will make the best of it, just hoping we get to Amsterda...........

Sue

The volcano seems to be becoming a problem. President Obama cut his Ireland trip short today to get out because of the ash. Hope it doesn't affect your flights. Traveling is an adventure. Buy insurance, pray, and make the best of the trip. Good luck and have fun.

The volcano seems to be becoming a problem. President Obama cut his Ireland trip short today to get out because of the ash. Hope it doesn't affect your flights. Traveling is an adventure. Buy insurance, pray, and make the best of the trip. Good luck and have fun.

No insurance coverage for volcano eruptions/disruptions. After last years volcano all the insurance carriers invoked no coverage for this natural disaster..............

We are first-time river cruisers booked for the June 19 Uniworld Castles Along the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel, on the SS Antoinette, and we are chewing our fingernails about the water level now... Hoping that the farmers in Europe get the rain they need, and we get to float along the Rhine instead of being on a bus!

We are also very concerned about the water levels. I have contacted Grand Circle Travel to see what their work around plan is, but have not received an answer. Depending on how much of the trip is going to be by bus we may reconsider. Here's hoping for rain!

We asked Uniworld what their plan would be for the Antoinette if the water levels don't rise, and they said "rain is expected and you can rest assured you'll be in good hands." Which doesn't actually reassure me at all -- I feel patronized, not unworried.

We asked Uniworld what their plan would be for the Antoinette if the water levels don't rise, and they said "rain is expected and you can rest assured you'll be in good hands." Which doesn't actually reassure me at all -- I feel patronized, not unworried.

Unfortunately, the water levels are controlled by Mother Nature. I have sailed with Uniworld when the Danube iced up and we could not complete our cruise by ship. While it was a bit disappointing, since this was my first cruise ever, Uniworld handled everything beautifully and I would not say my trip was anything less than wonderful!

I finally got an answer from GCT and they said much the same thing. They did finally admit that they are looking for back up plans which would include travel by bus. The good news is that I was told that at this time their boats are still able to do the trip on the river.

I know they would rather have us travel by boat as it is expensive for them to rent the busses etc.

Keep your fingers crossed!!

Wow, I wonder if that person does know the weather forecast better than our weather men????

Today it´s been extremely hot. There´s a cold front coming in tomorrow with some rain. But the weekend will be warm and sunny again. Just one day of rain is not enough to fill our rivers!!

steamboats

It helps to know we're not the only ones fretting about this!

Good point about the buses being more expensive, Nancycoop1.

bree28, would you mind telling us what the alternate arrangements were like for your Danube trip?

Yes, steamboats, "rain is expected" sounds like a "don't you worry your little head" kind of line, not coming from any meteorological knowledge!

Bree28, if I were sure we were going to have enough water in the Rhine to take our cruise (we will invoke our "cancel for any reason" travel insurance if it's a matter of going on a bus tour instead...), I'd find that really exciting and fun! As it is, I'm just finding it depressing.

Bree28, if I were sure we were going to have enough water in the Rhine to take our cruise (we will invoke our "cancel for any reason" travel insurance if it's a matter of going on a bus tour instead...), I'd find that really exciting and fun! As it is, I'm just finding it depressing.

Just thought being able to "see" that the ship is not experiencing any difficulty sailing would be helpful. Sorry that it was not. I hope others will be able to use the information as it was intended.

Just thought being able to "see" that the ship is not experiencing any difficulty sailing would be helpful. Sorry that it was not. I hope others will be able to use the information as it was intended.

Thanks for the website. It was helpful to me and I continue to believe that there will be enough water for our cruise (maybe overly optimistic).

Nancy

Archived