Swollen ankles & feet

capecodder2

I have been getting swollen feet and ankles while cruising ever sense I started cruising in my early 30's.

Its a travel thing that is very common for women.... I drink alot of cranberry juice and it helps. Hours on a plane and then the cruise food with more sodium then I am used too does not help..

Do not wish to be argumentative but AFAIK this - swollen feet - is not one of the common and well known "side effects" of cruising for most healthy people. Also, I am not sure why this should be "common for women" but not men (other than during your menstrual cycle perhaps, in which case that would be the reason for it and not cruising per se).

However, if you are comfortable with your explanation and feel this requires no further attention, then so am I.

Not to be argumentative either, Paulchili, but this problem is much more common than you think and it is mainly with women (at least they talk about it and notice it more than men). I am not a doctor so I can't explain the reasons to you, don't know that they can either. I am sure most of the women discussing it are healthy in general - I know that I am. I am also sure it is the issue of much more salt in the food and water than we get at home, heat can also add to the issue if you are travelilng in a hot climate. We just need to be aware and do what we can. I think on your next cruise you should make a study of men and their feet/ankles - LOL.

Will attempt the study but can't promise any cooperation. :)

I know my ankles are just fine and I drink carbonated water which probably has more salt than my "seltzer" water at home which has no sodium at all. This is not to mention all the foie gras and lobster tails, etc, etc that I had on the cruise and do not consume regularly at home. I guess I am just lucky :)

Will attempt the study but can't promise any cooperation. :)

I know my ankles are just fine and I drink carbonated water which probably has more salt than my "seltzer" water at home which has no sodium at all.

We were only affected on our Norway cruise so I suspect it was the food on Insignia it certainly was not the heat!!

I had never had the problem on the Regatta or on Marina

I did opt for the sodium free or low sodium menu on Marina but often times we ate in the buffet so no specialty prepared meals there

I did get the dinner menu early only

I wonder if they do not put salt in the lunch items ;)

I do have the swelling when flying but usually is gone a few hours after landing & walking around more

Not all people are susceptible to the swelling problem

Lyn

The RDA for magnesium is 350 milligrams per day (up to twice that amount by some sources, assuming a 150 lb individual), so 27 mg in bottled water is extremely unlikely to impact normal people. Daily variations in one's diet will cause far more deviation.

I say normal people, because certain diseases (kidney problems, for example) may require a lower intake of magnesium. But such individuals will be monitoring a lot more than just water. For some people, magnesium supplements can cause diarrhea.

On the other hand, surveys have shown that most Americans do not get enough magnesium in their diets. A recent study showed women averaging only 50% of RDA. This is not altogether surprising, as sources of magnesium are usually high fiber foods, and Americans are notoriously short of fiber in the diet.

Bill

I usually have a problem on cruises with feet and ankles swelling. I had read on these postings that sometimes salad greens have preservatives on them that can cause problems for some people. On our recent Marina 19 day TA I ate less green salad than usual. But, I also drank bottled water. On previous cruises I always drank the tap water (too cheap to pay!). This cruise I did not have a swelling problems at all. So I don't know if it was a combination of things, any one thing, or just luckly. But I was happy no matter what the reason.

Archived