The U.K. Cruiser Speaks (in Math): Thumbs Down for Fly-Cruises, Thumbs Up for U.K. Ho

LauraS

I agree that sailing from Southampton is relatively problem free, and can cut out that dreary wait in an airport after a fabulous cruise- that's the bit we hate! :eek:

Our round Britain cruise ranks up there as one of the best we've ever done.

Jo.

Sadly it's not UK passengers choosing to do the tiring cruise out of Southampton but the industry withdrawing fly-cruises for UK passengers.

In 2009 Ocean Village 1 and 2 offered some 80,000+ Uk passengers fly cruises. 1.5M UK residents cruise each year so that's 5% of all UK cruisers who would have flown have had to switch to cruises out of Southampton in the last two years.

Fly-cruise is so much more relaxing. A short drive or taxi to a regional airport, a couple of hours before flight check-in, time to then have a drink or wander through the shops and before you know it they are boarding your flight.

Onboard you get to chat with fellow passengers, partake in some beverages and your holiday has started. In the Caribbean they have taken luggage direct from the plane to the ship and pulled the coaches in Barbados onto the apron.

Painless versus a 5hr drive and sat in traffic, negotiating Southamptons roads or having to sit on coaches for 6 hours! Arriving at the port tired and just wanting to get into your cabin and freshen up!

Yes, fly cruising is handy if there's a flight going from a local airport....or if you have a local airport to go from...:rolleyes:

It's the same for us, whether we leave from S'ton or fly out...we have to go the day before and stay over. The best we've done was to stay with family in Doncaster, and go to Sharm with Thomson, from the friendly little airport there. But returning was the usual problem of a long drive home, or another night with relations.

I love arriving at S'ton, seeing the ship, and knowing that there's a day or two at sea before we get down to the ports. We have realised that we're doing the fly cruises less and less, mainly because of the return journey.

Jo.

With so many international airports within easy reach...Manchester (my main airport), Leeds-Bradford, Doncaster, Liverpool, to name but a couple, I prefer to fly/cruise.

Manchester is just under 2 hours away by train, the train station is inside the airport complex, so really easy & inexpensive too - I book first class train tickets in advance, singles since they are cheaper and have yet to pay more than £40 for both journeys.

If I still lived on the IOW then Southampton or Dover would be just as easy, but tbh, I am not keen on what is on offer from either port except maybe Norway.

Whilst I am still fit enough to do my longhaul flying, I will continue doing my fly/cruises.

Sadly it's not UK passengers choosing to do the tiring cruise out of Southampton but the industry withdrawing fly-cruises for UK passengers.

Sadly you are correct, some of the US lines do offer fly cruise packages but they tend to use indirect flights and are a bit expensive.

Our last cruise was out of Southampton and was generally a great cruise but we could happily do without the coach journey to Southampton and the 2 waisted bad weather days each way cruising to and back from the med. Could just about put up with the bad weather bit but the road coach - never again.

Our next cruise with Princess has charter flights out from and back to Manchester - this was a deal breaker for us when comparing several cruise options.

There is also a uk travel agent using a luxury first class charter train with full dining direct to the docks in Southampton - might give that a try one day but only a selected few trains operating so far - must ge great potential to increase this service as the cost appears to be less than twice the cost of a road coach.

Archived