Help w/hotel for cape liberty

Hello,

DH and I are searching for a hotel closest to cape liberty. We've been searching and it's getting confusing :confused:. We are not interested in going to NYC or any sight-seeing. We are just looking for a hotel for 1 night,and getting to the port the next day. Please help. Any suggestions???

Could you provide more details? What is your budget? What is your date? Are you driving or flying? What time will you arrive? If driving, are you parking at the port or are you looking for a park/sleep. If flying, I'm assuming you need to arrange for port transportation.

The Newark airport hotels are not vacation destinations. The ones I have stayed in are more the same than different. Many offer breakfast, but have no restaurant in the hotel. The hotels tend to be in isolated pockets around the airport with no nearby restaurants or services.

You aren't giving me much information to work with about your preferences. For June 3 on Kayak I am seeing the Sheraton for $101 including tax. This is one of the closest hotels to Cape Liberty. Another choice would be the Courtyard Newark Elizabeth on Glimcher Realty Way for $118. This is next to the Jersey Gardens Mall. Both hotels have restaurants and pools and airport shuttles. No free breakfast.

I've stayed at the Sheraton and I've stayed next to the Courtyard on Glimcher Realty Way and would recommend either area.

We have a driver that is dropping us off at (the hotel I book), and coming back to pick us up (at the port). The date is June 3

I'm confused about your transportation. Where is the driver coming from (or where is the trip originating that will end at your hotel)? It may not make sense for the same person or serrvice to take you from ? to the hotel and then the next day from the hotel to the port. By "driver" do you mean someone you're paying such as a car service or taxi, or are you talking about a family member or friend who will be giving you a ride. If the former, it may make more sense to book a different car service to take your from the hotel to the port as a locally-based service would normally be cheaper to use than one that would be coming from a distance.

Hi,

Here is our situation. We are booked on Silhouette Saturday, March 17, 2012. We live in VA and will be driving up and meeting friends on Friday, March 16th. We will not be going into the city or doing any sighteseeing.

We would be interested in a suggestion for a hotel where we can leave the car for 12 days and also a suggestion for a car service to the pier on Saturday. Our budget for the hotel is flexible, but somewhere around $200 a night? Is that doable? Also probably should be near restaurants, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Lucy

I'm in a similar situation - I drive down from Mass to sail out of Cape Liberty. What I did last Feb. was to book the Fairfield Inn through trinityreservations.com (pick Newark & cruiseport at Cape Liberty). I checked for next March (I'm going in Feb) and it is $117 including tax for a room, parking for 14 days, and a free breakfast. The hotel was very nice - good sized rooms, a pool, and a large public area in the lobby with internet, a TV, and lots of seats. I will be doing the same thing again in Feb. There were 10+ cruisers from our roll call staying there and it was lots of fun.

There is a number on the web site to call to arrange transportation - $40 for up to 4 people - 888-816-0973 Ext 0 I travel solo, so I went on the roll call for our cruise and got 7 people to share the shuttle, so it was $10/pp. The shuttle service is Independent Driver and the Fairfield Inn has their business cards in the lobby. My impression is that they are hustling to get business - a no frills operation with no credit cards and no web site. They don't take reservations until 4-6 weeks ahead. However, they showed up 10 minutes early to go to Cape Liberty and were prompt in picking us up after the cruise.

Your only problem will be a restaurant, but that issue is typical for most of the airport hotels. You can eat next door at the Marriott Courtyard, you can drive over to the Sheraton and Ramada, or you can go into one of the Spanish/Portugues restaurants in the Ironbound section of Newark (that's what I did with some fellow cruisers). The ethnic food in Newark is the most interesting food option in the area. It is essential to print out the directions to the hotel from different directions and to have a real map of the area. The Newark Airport roads can be very confusing.

Thank you so much for the information. It was very helpful and I will look into the Fairfield Inn.

I'm not overly concerned about the restaurant situation -- it is just one night and the other hotels may have a decent place to eat.

Thanks,

Lucy

Archived