Lubeck from port of Warnemunde

We will be on the Eurodam arriving in Warnemunde on June 30 at 7am. We are thinking about going to Lubeck but don't know if it is possible by train or bus and once there if it is easy to get from the train station to the center of the tourist town. Any help with logistics would be appreciated.

Other choice might be Wismar which I know is possible but I think we would like to go to Lubeck if possible.

We will be on the Eurodam arriving in Warnemunde on June 30 at 7am. We are thinking about going to Lubeck but don't know if it is possible by train or bus and once there if it is easy to get from the train station to the center of the tourist town. Any help with logistics would be appreciated.

Other choice might be Wismar which I know is possible but I think we would like to go to Lubeck if possible.

Hi,

Lübeck is a wonderful place to visit and certainly possible in your time frame.

Take the 8.37 (or one earlier if possible, gives you more time to change in Rostock) s-bahn from Warnemünde to Rostock, arr. platform 1. Take RE direction Hamburg from platform 6 at 9.07, change at Bad Kleinen (5th stop after Rostock) and take RE to Lübeck arr. 10.54. The change in Bad Kleinen is easy, usually just crossing the platform but sometimes from the same platform. There are plenty of indicator boards both in the trains and on the platforms.

Return journey:- 3.04, 5.04 or 7.04 RE direction Bad Kleinen, change in Bad Kleinen to RE direction Rostock. In Rostock take s-bahn to Warnemünde from platform 1/2.

The Mecklenburg Lander ticket will cover the whole journey except for the initial s-bahn ride as this is before 9am. Single tickets to Rostock cost 1.70 euros. For ticket purchase instructions see thread 'Live in Rostock-happy to help you enjoy'

Depending on your boarding time you may have time for a stroll around Warnemünde, hope so as it is a little gem, not to be missed if you have time and by then you are only 5mins walk from the ship.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

PS The centre is a pleasant 10min walk from the station, through the most important gate to the city. Or there is a bus service from the station.

Anni,

Thank you for your detailed instructions. Is it worth the 2 hr plus train ride to go to Lubeck from Warnemunde? Is 4-6 hrs enough time to spend there? Can you suggest sights we "must see" there? Any recommendations for good inexpensive lunch? Are we in the center of town when we arrive by train or do we need to get a cab or bus to the main tourist sights?

I appreciate your help.

Sue

Anni,

Thank you for your detailed instructions. Is it worth the 2 hr plus train ride to go to Lubeck from Warnemunde? Is 4-6 hrs enough time to spend there? Can you suggest sights we "must see" there? Any recommendations for good inexpensive lunch? Are we in the center of town when we arrive by train or do we need to get a cab or bus to the main tourist sights?

I appreciate your help.

Sue

Hi Sue, I would think that 4-6 hours is plenty of time to see the main sights of Lübeck but whether or not it is worth the train ride is a personal opinion. Lübeck is unique in that there are sights there which you can see nowhere else but that can be said for any number of towns in Germany. Unless you have a specific reason for wanting to go there a day in Wismar, Schwerin, Stralsund or even Rostock may suit you just as well. I have covered all these town in posts on the 'Live in Rostock etc' thread.

The station is a pleasant 10 min walk from the city, through one of the 'must sees', the Hosteiner Tor - the former main gate into the city. All the main sights are within a very small area - the Market Place and Rathaus, St. Marien Church, St Katherin Museum, the Holy Ghost Hospital, the Burgtor and the Burgkloster Museum. There are also a boat trips right around the city. The web site http://www.luebeck-tourism.de/ has English pages, a good map and is very informative.

As in most towns there are cafes and resturants to suit every taste and pocket, right in the middle of town. I have always eaten at the Ratskeller in the Market Place and have several times been lucky enough to catch something, a band or dancers etc, happening at lunchtime.

Hope this helps your planning , a look through the above thread may help too.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

:

Archived