Review of QE 5 day trip 30th April - 5th May

north east girl

This is a continuation of my review that I placed in the thread QE staffing problems.

It you have read this review you can tell that I enjoyed being on QE. Yes the service was not perfect in some areas.

Firstly the service on an evening in Britannia could be improved. On our first evening Tony did not get a menu. The waiter than came to take our selection not realising this. All the other evenings the service was better. What I did notice when we had lunch in Britannia the service was very good. This made me think that they just had too much to do, maybe had too many tables to serve. This did show, not the waiters fault if there is not enough staff to cope.

The food in Britannia was always very good, also I found the food in Lido self service good. What I liked was the vast choice of food. Sometimes it was hard to find a table in the Lido, just had to have a good look around. On many occasions had to share, no big deal for us.

Our steward Alfredo introduced himself as soon as we entered our cabin. A very nice young man, always happy and smilling. Could not do enough for us. Kept the cabin spotless.

We found most of the staff to be friendly, saying hello as we past. Commodore Club service excellent, having chats whilst serving us. Maybe because we were in there every night they got used to serving us.

First day in Amsterdam we were late arriving with just one way off, very long wait to get off. We waited in Cafe Carinthia until the queue went down. It was getting back on that surprised us as we were not an a trip an thought we should get on with not problem. Not so, we arrived at 7.15 and had to wait until 8.00. Some people in line were not very happy about this. Then we were told that Britannia had been changed to open seating because of the delay for people on excursions not getting back in time for first seating.

Got ready as soon as we could then waited to be seated. This is how we were seated with Bev and Pat from the roll call. Also 2 gentleman joined us and what a laugh we had all through dinner. Because of the delay we really enjoyed the company. It made a nice change from our table as this was in a different part of the restaurant.

Booked the Verandah Restaurant for our last evening and had the set menu of 5 courses plus cheese board and sweet. The food was amazing also the service. After 5 courses we could not manage another thing, which was a shame would have like to taste the sweets. Next time would just have maybe a main and dessert. I think it was money well spent just for the experience alone. I think a lot of other people had the same idea as us because the restaurant we quite full.

We only went off the ship the once to visit Ann Franks house. Just had a great time enjoying what QE had to offer. Paddle Tennis, bowls and also the two shows in the Queens Room from a wonderful pianist.

I would Book QE again and may even try QV as we were told by many people that they are very simular.

Catherine

Hi Catherine, good review! I'm so glad we took the decision not to go ashore on the first afternoon in Amsterdam.

Hope you've come down to earth now. I'd be interested to know what you had at the Verandah.

Bev

Catherine

Glad that you enjoyed it. I believe that the waiters still have 18 covers to serve at dinner, which has been constant for some years.

Hi Capn, If that is the case the service was much better on QM2. Would not put me off going again though.

Catherine

Hi Capn, If that is the case the service was much better on QM2. Would not put me off going again though.

Catherine

Catherine, I think that the staff on QE may not yet be as polished and experienced as their QM2 counterparts. They do still mean well which I believe is more than half the battle and their skill levels will improve.

Hi Catherine, good review! I'm so glad we took the decision not to go ashore on the first afternoon in Amsterdam.

Hope you've come down to earth now. I'd be interested to know what you had at the Verandah.

Bev

Hi Bev, We decided on the $35.00 menu with 5 courses. One of the courses included pigeon covered in dark chocolate. I know does not sound very good, it did taste nice. The chocolate melted when they added some hot sauce over the top.

Duck pate was another. Escallops with a lovely sauce and pasta.

Steak beautifully cooked with vegetables and potatoes. Can't remember what the other course was.

Wish I had asked for a copy of the menu I havn't described it very well.

The food was presented very well and the taste of everything was amazing.

Catherine

Catherine, I think that the staff on QE may not yet be as polished and experienced as their QM2 counterparts. They do still mean well which I believe is more than half the battle and their skill levels will improve.

You are probably right there, given time things should improve.

Catherine

Hi Bev, We decided on the $35.00 menu with 5 courses. One of the courses included pigeon covered in dark chocolate. I know does not sound very good, it did taste nice. The chocolate melted when they added some hot sauce over the top.

Duck pate was another. Escallops with a lovely sauce and pasta.

Steak beautifully cooked with vegetables and potatoes. Can't remember what the other course was.

Wish I had asked for a copy of the menu I havn't described it very well.

The food was presented very well and the taste of everything was amazing.

Catherine

Sounds yummy. May just have to book again then I an try it - with Paul this time!

Hi Catherine :)

Thanks for the review. Glad you liked QE and makes me look forward to being on board in January 2012. Hopefully, by then they will have ironed out any problems with service. :)

I believe that the waiters still have 18 covers to serve at dinner,

Unlike on our last Fred Olsen cruise where the waiters had 30 covers, 5 tables of six, and had to to the wine service as well!

Regards, Colin.

Thanks for the nice review.

I just don't fancy pigeon covered in chocolate somehow. :eek: :)

Hi Ray66, I does sound a strange combination, probably would not order again. All part of trying something different. All the other courses were amazing.

Catherine

You are probably right there, given time things should improve.

Catherine

Catherine,

The service thing is quite strange because we were on the cruise immediately before yours and I didn't notice any issues with the service whatsoever. Menus were handed out promptly (and to everyone) and service was fast (or at any rate as fast as it needed to be). Food arrived rapidly and still hot and the waiters didn't see to be particularly overworked.

Given that a lot of the waiting staff must have been on for the duration of the World Cruise followed by an 11 nighter to the Canaries, I just wonder whether they reduced the numbers somewhat for that 5 nighter, or perhaps sent a lot of the regular staff off on leave and brought in some temporary replacements.

J

Catherine,

The service thing is quite strange because we were on the cruise immediately before yours and I didn't notice any issues with the service whatsoever. Menus were handed out promptly (and to everyone) and service was fast (or at any rate as fast as it needed to be). Food arrived rapidly and still hot and the waiters didn't see to be particularly overworked.

Given that a lot of the waiting staff must have been on for the duration of the World Cruise followed by an 11 nighter to the Canaries, I just wonder whether they reduced the numbers somewhat for that 5 nighter, or perhaps sent a lot of the regular staff off on leave and brought in some temporary replacements.

J

Short trips tend to have a lot of third passengers per cabin. That is often the problem.

Certainly on ex NYC short trips, there are also issues with people ordering multiple main courses - and often not eating them. It isn't a tasting menu!

Good to hear that the service was good on your trip though.

WD

Hi Catherine :)

Thanks for the review. Glad you liked QE and makes me look forward to being on board in January 2012. Hopefully, by then they will have ironed out any problems with service. :)

Hi Stephen, I'm sure you will love QE, she is a lot easier to get around that QM2.

Where are you going in January 2012

Catherine

Hi Stephen, I'm sure you will love QE, she is a lot easier to get around that QM2.

Where are you going in January 2012

Catherine

La Havre and Hamburg a 5 night voyage so we get two days at sea as well.

I have just done Queen Victoria for 16 nights so, I am should have no problems finding my way around Queen Elizabeth :)

Catherine

I am so sorry that I was not able to make it to the meet and greet on April 30. Would have loved to have a chat with the roll call group.

We had a fantastic experience in London during the Royal Wedding! The Ritz did a superb job with the special wedding tea. We even got to see the new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge drive into Clarence House that afternoon! What an electric day! Oh, how I miss being in London!

As for our cruise on the QE, we found the ship and crew to be a delight. We had excellent service in almost all areas. The Britannia offered wonderful service both at our assigned table and during open breakfast or lunch. The only issue we had was a messed up drink in Cafe Carinthia.

We tried two of the shows in the Royal Court Theatre and didnt care for either one. However, this did not really matter to us. Our only regret was the limited time that we had onboard the beautiful "Queen Elizabeth". We did much touring of the various ports, but I cant wait to sail onboard her or any other Cunarder again. In the past 12 months I have been fortunate enough to sail the entire fleet!

Now the depression at being back home is setting in. I miss England as usual!

Rick

HI

I was on QE this year and QM2 last year. Our waiter from last year was on the QE this year. He said that there were a lot of fairly new staff so I would imagine that they would not be quite as fast etc. However I found everyone to be very polite and helpful.

I enjoyed the Veranda dinner - same menu with all the courses being wonderful.

Cant wait for QV next year. It will be interesting to see what they do for the Diamond Jubilee.:)

Janice

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Queen Elizabeth. We were on her for a similar 5 day journey last December and walked away very impressed as well. (A big wave to Capnpugwash who was at our M&G!)

We noticed a few service "hiccups" here and there but overall it went well. Surprisingly well considering it was only the fourth voyage for the ship at that time.

I was very impressed with the Verandah Grill - one of the best specialty restaurants I tried on any ship. Far superior to the Todd English product and well worth the price. We did a la carte and a bottle of wine which added up quite fast but thought the ambiance and service well worth it.

I really liked the art deco motif and thought Cunard hit it just right with this Queen.

Catherine

I am so sorry that I was not able to make it to the meet and greet on April 30. Would have loved to have a chat with the roll call group.

We had a fantastic experience in London during the Royal Wedding! The Ritz did a superb job with the special wedding tea. We even got to see the new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge drive into Clarence House that afternoon! What an electric day! Oh, how I miss being in London!

As for our cruise on the QE, we found the ship and crew to be a delight. We had excellent service in almost all areas. The Britannia offered wonderful service both at our assigned table and during open breakfast or lunch. The only issue we had was a messed up drink in Cafe Carinthia.

We tried two of the shows in the Royal Court Theatre and didnt care for either one. However, this did not really matter to us. Our only regret was the limited time that we had onboard the beautiful "Queen Elizabeth". We did much touring of the various ports, but I cant wait to sail onboard her or any other Cunarder again. In the past 12 months I have been fortunate enough to sail the entire fleet!

Now the depression at being back home is setting in. I miss England as usual!

Rick

Hi Rick, You sound like you had a great experience in London, how brilliant to see the happy couple drive into Clarence House.

I also thought the QE was a beautiful ship, I loved everything about her.

There was 6 of us at the Roll Call meet, Bev I have met before. Also met Clare and Mark last year on QM2. Met Bevs Mum for the first time, very nice lady. Shame you could not make it, maybe next time.

Catherine

Hello Catherine

Really enjoyed your review. My wife and I are going on the same trip on as you on 26th May. Could you please tell me if there were any cocktail parties on the trip.

Thanks

Hi uncle grumpy, There is one cocktail party on formal evening. Got talking to a really nice couple there. However, did not see the Captain, he was to busy to attend. His other officers were there, very enjoyable time. Get there early if you want a seat, ours was very well attended.

Have you been on QE before?

Catherine

Archived